How to handle a "bad" hunter/situation?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by CJCullen, Sep 21, 2015.

1. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok this is a weird question/topic and I am never the one to bad mouth another hunter or another person in general but I am at a lose of what to do anymore and just need to rant for two seconds.

I work with two gentleman that both claim to be hunters/bowhunters and when we find time we talk hunting and the things these two say and talk about blow my mind nearly every night. I work in a potato chip plant and you can imagine all the seasoning and oil and waste smells that go on in the plant on a daily bases and both have expressed to me that scent elimination isn't a big deal and just a way for people to make more money, and nearly always leave straight from work to their treestands. I could go on and on with the tricks and tips and tidbits they have mentioned but that is not the main idea behind this post.
    Now tonight they are talking/ joking about how the one shot at a fawn last night and hit her, and I quote " I don't F***ing know I barely aimed but I doubt I killed her" and how they didn't even track because "If it was a good shot I woulda seen her fall". I mentioned they should at least go look for blood or the arrow at least and he said "eh it was just a fawn anyway".

I'm not sure if I'm more mad or just flat out blown away about the situation and I know there isn't really anything I can do as I don't think they have broke any laws or regulations but this is clearly unethical and that deer deserved better. Now my question is how do you deal with people like that and have any of you had run ins with "hunters" like this?

2. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would probably get fired

3. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This post weirdly enough made me feel normal lol. Thanks

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Can't say I would handle it in a positive way, things would be said feelings would be hurt.

5. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just say "really" I didn't know you were a F tard!

6. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good example of why not to be a D-bag....
    Yes, I've encountered a lot of a holes like these guys. Every trespasser and poacher I've ever dealt with had that same tude. A general sense of entitlement, bloated sense of self importance and general lack of respect for both property rights and life.

I generally just label them slimeballs. If you can change their ways through debate, good on you but I've found even law enforcement and penalty of law tends to not even make a dent in their asinine behavior. They have no sense of the value of life so what do you do with that sort of lack of character...pray for their soul I guess because short of divine enlightenment, not much else stands a chance of impacting their lack of humility.

7. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would be blunt because it is people like them who give us all a bad name...and I'm sorry, with attitudes like that, they are not hunters. Hearing stories like that just pi$$ me off.

8. Hammer1171

Hammer1171 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    These two are first rate a$$ clowns. I would check rules and regulations in your state to see if there is anything you might be able to site for these two. After that I would probably have some unpleasant words for them.

9. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys for putting in your 2 cents, the more I sit here and think about it I know where they hunt and am tempted to go track as there is some free venison laying out there.....but I've never trespassed before and don't think this is a good reason to start. I'm probably just going to refrain from talking to them and stay out of their side of the plant just so I don't have to hear their bullsh*t anymore, BUT if they come into the maintenance shop then we shall have a few words and I will let them have it.

10. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Stop talking to them about hunting. I can't talk to some of even my best friends about hunting because we don't share the same ethics. Either that, be willing to call them out on the BS.

11. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    There is really not much that you can do. I would probably try to convince them to at least hunt ethically but more than likely anything said is going to fall on deaf ears. At that point, you are probably better off avoiding them, otherwise all you are going to end up doing is getting more upset and potentially risk your employment.

12. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

If it was me... this ^^^ lol

But I would prob avoid it in a work place.. I have a temper and Im not a real "people person" anyway.

13. Bo.

Bo. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    this goes to show the difference between real hunters and killers...sucks for people like most of the gentlemen I have encountered on this forum that actually have a passion for the sport and love the animals we hunt. its terrible that people like this exist much less are allowed in our hunting woods. pray for a change of mind for them

14. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Bumbaclots...yeah..Google it

15. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think Heckler pretty much nailed it. I know who I can talk bowhunting/hunting with, and I know who I cant. I find people with a similar mindset and set of beliefs in regards to hunting ethics and practices and I'll speak to them. The goons that you described are people who I avoid talking hunting to like the plague.

16. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Divide and conquer. You'll have no success talking to them together but might have success separately. Take the time and give it a try. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

17. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You fix stupid! These guys are why us ethical and law biding hunters are given a bad name! Like another guy posted, I probably would have gotten fired as well. Do yourself a favor and stay away from dumb and dumber!

18. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Probably unpopular but why should you or anyone else really care about how they go to the tree stand? Who cares if they are scent free or not. I am not sure what that has to do with anything other than the fact that they are uneducated and probably unsuccessful.

As for shooting any animal just for the heck of it and not even looking for it. That would have just been the end of the conversation and future conversations. That is what I would do about it - I wouldn't assosiate with those type of people. I think we probably all know someone like this or similar to this in terms of hunting ethics and that is very sad.

19. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't read all the posts as this has me irritated too. Does wisconsin have a wanton waste law? If so, I would be hard pressed to call up your local DNR office and tell them this exact story about the fawn.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  20. Jpeeples

Jpeeples Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Same as above, I would just avoid them all together. At least that way you wouldn't have to hear all the dumb stuff.