A Hunter Ethics Question.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by rsf31tmp, Sep 21, 2015.

1. rsf31tmp

rsf31tmp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yesterday, I had to drop my wife off in Springfield, IL at 6am. It was 48 degrees, very calm and a bit foggy. My youngest was in his car seat and we were both wide awake, so we went on a "deer ride". This is when I slowly drive by or around; every place I hunt, all the places I would like to hunt and in general, places where I see deer. In a little over an hour we spotted 43 deer. Mostly, they were doe or fawns, but there were a few bucks. The biggest buck was an 8 point maybe 110-115 class deer. The smallest buck looked to be a spike at first, but then he turned and he was either a 3 or 4 pointer. Then when this small buck started to move across the road, it was clear that it's front right leg was broken. It was bad, and I know they are a tough animal, but I can't see how it will make it through the winter. He does live in a fairly safe area; suburban area where I would guess no predators could get him. But he was moving slowly and I think he will have a hard time making it.

So here is my ethics question:

If you were bowhunting from your stand/blind, would you arrow this young buck because of it's injury? I am sure he would taste good, unless he was hit by a car and has some beat up meat? In Illinois, you can take two bucks, would you be wasting a tag on this animal?

As I drove off, I was thinking that I would most likely take him, put him out of his pain and suffering and fill the freezer? What do you think?

2. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I probably would bag it and put it out of its misery provided it was legal size.

3. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Its hard to say without seeing the deer in action. I would probably let it go with only a broken front leg. I've seen deer running and moving really well on only one good front leg. If it was a broken hind leg I would probably shoot it.

but around where I hunt, a lame deer is just food for predators saving a healthy deer in its place.

4. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Done it before. I almost feel, in a weird way, that it is a test. Would you do the "right" thing?
    I've had one come by before with is front leg swinging like a gate. Watched him step over a downed tree limb and that leg just drug over it. Couldn't imagine trying to get over a barbed wire fence.
    Shoot him.

5. Full Draw

Full Draw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    With 2 buck tags sure I would. No animal should have to suffer if he indeed was. Sometimes the size of the rack isn't the most important thing in life!!

"Live Life at Full Draw"

6. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They get around much better with a missing hind leg. You see dogs missing a hind leg and they can run and play like nothing. It does wear out the good hind leg but they run almost as fast and good as a 4 legged dog. A dog missing a front leg.. not so much from what I have seen.

I would most likely burn a tag and shoot it.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  7. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It would be an on the spot decision for me. I don't think I would set out to target the buck, but should he come by and it is plain as day he will not make it I would probably arrow him/her and then take it to DNR and try to get a salvage tag for it. They will reissue a tag, especially if it is inedible for some reason.

Being IL though, especially where I hunt coyotes would never let them make it if they got that bad off.

Wildlofe sanctuary out by Chatham high school is a nice spot to drive through when looking for deer. Usually head out there around the rut and see what activity is happening.

8. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Also I would classify it as a compassion kill rather than ethical. Ethical would be a clean kill shot and not putting one in its good limbs :lol:

9. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would shoot it, and have. One year here in PA before antler restrictions I had two bucks coming in. The first one was a nice 8, the second a spike. I quickly realized the spike had a mangled front leg and was having a hard time. I shot it and we only get one buck tag in PA.

10. KY72

KY72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I mostly hunt areas that are 15" minimum spread. That would make it tougher for me. I passed a very heavy mature deer a couple years ago that had a nice 5 point rack on one side and only a spike sticking straight up on the other. I was scared he wouldn't measure 15" because of the deformity. I would shoot it where legal though.

11. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Had a doe a handful of years ago that I took in rifle season, it had a bad front leg that had once been broken but healed. Couldn't tell at the time I shot it though because it was rough ground so it didn't appear to have a limp. but once I got close I could see the weird angle of the leg and really see it when we skinned it. I haven't seen many with a lame rear leg, but it is the back legs that supply most of the power to their running which would likely prevent them from escaping predators.

12. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have never seen a deer with an injured leg other than vids... mostly going off of watching dogs. Most of their weight is in their front end and most of their balance seems to come from their front legs. Had a dog break a front foot and didnt get around very well missing/unable to use a front leg until it healed. She stumbled and lost her balance more than a dog missing/unable to use a hind leg. I would say they could run good... jumping maybe not so much, so in a deer it might not work out so well. I have no clue, Im just punching keys and trying to sound smart! (I know I fail at that) sooo :lol:

13. c e w

c e w Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In Texas we have 13 inch restriction if I wanted to couldnt but if legal I would

14. rsf31tmp

Dislikes Received:
    this is how this young buck's leg was.....swinging gate

15. rsf31tmp

Dislikes Received:
    I was on the other side of the lake. UIS/LLCC area

16. Il_public_land_hunter

Il_public_land_hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ^ I would do this for sure. If you can figure out where he is most days just call DNR beforehand. I have heard of them letting you take him and not have to lose one of your buck tags. Again just stories I have heard but its worth a call. See what they say

17. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Where I live, he would not survive long. That's what you call wolf bait. :tu:

18. seangarchery

seangarchery Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I didn't see this deer so I don't know how bad he was. If I didn't think he would live I might..... In 2012 I shot a really nice buck that walked in and postured in front of a small buck before I shot him. He had a broadhead lodged in his neck and you could feel it underneath his hide on the other side. It had been there awhile. He also had a shattered skull plate and he was bleeding out of his eye. I shot him through both lungs and he still ran 100 yards. Deer are tough!.... if I thought this buck that you are talking about had a messed up leg and that was it, then I wouldn't shoot him.

19. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on how well he was getting around. We have an old 3 legged doe that's been around for at least 4 years now. She's doing fine. Drops fawns every year. As long as infection doesn't set in he may be fine. Deer simply do not feel pain or recognize a disability like people do.

20. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Long Island we are allowed 2 bucks as well. I would do the young buck a favor and give him the buisness end of my Easton Bloodline!! Without a doubt.