Heavy Arrow Shafts VS. High FOC (How to be more accurate VIDEO)

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bryan Jeffrey, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

This video talks about FOC. Something often overlooked when attempting to increase penetration.

Give me some feedback!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:
    No one has any thoughts on my post? id like to hear others point of veiw

3. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've watched a couple times, and have not been able to really figure what you are trying to get across and really didn't get anything from it. I'm looking to get new arrows soon, as I've broken some and am also dropping my draw length a little. And was hoping this would help me decide on what arrows might be best. I looked at Easton arrows for my setup 70# at 28" with 100gr tips. As of now I'm just hunting, but once the season ends I hope to start target and 3D shooting also and would rather use the same arrows rather than a different set and having to change my sights.

Here are some options from Easton, but I have no idea which would work best. My best guess is that the Bloodline would probably be the best combination of weight and FOC for having the hardest hit with the best stability in flight.

Axis 340 - 409gr FOC 10.94%
    Bowfire 330 - 420gr FOC 10.76%
    Bloodline 330 - 394gr FOC 12.2%
    Da'Torch 330 - 374gr FOC 12.49%

4. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:
    sorry the video didnt help. I was just trying to show people that you can get a high penetrating power without going with a arrow as heavy as a brick, but rather going with a heaver tip. having a high FOC helps drive the weight forward with less flex on impact creating less loss of energy on impact. and with a Higher FOC (say 14%) it will be a much more stable flight...
    I shoot Bloodlines. I love them

5. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It seems at least to me to be a confusing subject. Heavy arrows get and hold kinetic energy better, more forward FOC improves impact and stability, lighter arrows are faster but bleed speed faster. Seems like we are all trying to find that sweet spot where the arrows has the greatest kinetic energy, while flying the best and most consistent while being as accurate as possible.

When I get my next arrows, I am going to have to experiment with how they fly with different tips. I have 125 gr field tips from my last setup and 100 gr that I use now.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  6. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I also shoot the bloodlines. Good vid.

7. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So im still pretty much getting used to my new bow after a horrible broken shoulder some years back. That said , my setup is pretty light right now. Im dialed down to 55# and am shooting the bloodline 400. Right now im using the slick trick mag 100 gr. You think id be better off/ more stable flight/ penetration if i used the 125gr?..... cause i do have a couple packs of those lying around.

8. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    In a perfect world I am shooting a heavy arrow with high FOC :D

9. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My two cents we are looking for the sweet spot heavy enough to do the job I use the following guide and have found this to give me that sweet spot i use the lightest arrow i can and add the weight up front to get at least a 12% foc (no less than 8 no more than 16 rule of thumb)
    6 grains of arrow weight per pound of draw weight for bows in the 70-lb. range
    8 grains of arrow weight per pound of draw weight for bows in the 60-lb. range
    10 grains of arrow weight per pound of draw weight for bows in the 50-lb. range
    I am currently using a Easton Hexx at 7.9 gr per inch 50 gr insert 100 gr tips/broad head for a total arrow at 420 gr with a FOC of 12.5 out of a Mathews Chill R 70 lbs 28 inches at 288 ft. heaver would just throw speed what ever that is overboard and reduce the KE IMHO

10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My rigged up arrow runs about 420 grains. With a FOC about 12%. It does seem ti hit harder on all targets. With this FOC I noticed much better groups beyond 30 yards.

11. dtimm77

dtimm77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I switch to 340 easton axis. I use the hit 50 grain insert 27.5 in draw. i love it. they go 2 in deeper into my target over my fmj from last year and they weight the same. i may cut down to 27 in just for stiffer spine.

12. bassmasterjk

bassmasterjk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bryan I am shooting a FMJ 330 spine. FOC is 9.6% What do you think of that? Total arrow weight is 496g with weight insert and lighted knock

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  13. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:
    thats cool. whatever works for you is great. I was just throwing the idea out there to others that want to play around with there arrows. i think if you threw a 125 grain tip on your arrows. you would be much happier with your groupings. but if you dont want to. thats all good to.

14. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:
    i think you would have more penetration with 125g BH. but the down side is with the lighter draw. it will limit how many pins you can use. my girlfriend shoots at 50# 24"draw. she shoots easton storms with 100g on front. and she can only get use of four pins on her sight. but if you hunt in dense woods. that shouldn't be a issue.
    I have bad shoulders from powerlifting when i was younger, so i know what a pain it is. archery has helped. good luck on recovery of the shoulder!

15. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bumping to a 125 grain head would not change your FOC enough to make a noticeable difference in your groupings. I've got 200 grains up front on my hunting arrows and that definitely makes a difference in my groupings. I'm a big fan of high FOC, but simply adding 25 grains gets you nowhere near high FOC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:
    no its not a ultra high foc but it will shift the weight a little more forward adding a bit to penetrating power, and it will make the flight more stable. and that was what he was asking about. you dont need a ton of weight up front to start noticing a difference especially in the lighter arrow that he is shooting.
    remember you are shooting a much heavier arrow(+2 gpi) than him. 25 grain is as much of a difference as 50-75 grain on your arrows as far as shifting the foc. also you are shooting a much heaver draw bow. he will have ALOT more drop than you do at 55# to the point were the rewards might not be worth the loss. he just has to play around with his set up to find what he likes.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  17. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    Yes it will but barely. If he really wants to increase penetration going to heavier arrow with higher FOC is a better option. A light arrow with barely more FOC isn't going to do much. I'm a big fan of setting up low poundage bows with heavy high FOC arrows and cut on contact broadheads. Maximizes the efficient of the bow.

18. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:
  19. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:
    I see what your saying. I just kinda have the school of thought of. adjust a little at a time tell you like what you have. he has 125g tips, so there is no harm in trying them out and seeing if he likes it. like i said. his FOC will be close to yours, maybe a couple % less. and he will have more stable flight and more pen power. thats just fact. if he bought new arrows and monster tips would it penetrate more? hell yea. is it necessary. not unless he plans on hunting moose. I asked him to post his FOCs. so lets see what he gets. whats your foc?

Also. im a big fan of heavy draw. and lighter arrows with a bit more foc. i dont have much experence with light drawing bows, aside from seting up my girlfriends bow, i set her bow up like a lighter version of mine.. so i dont think we will ever come to a agreement. haha

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  20. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    I kind of doubt that as I'm over 16% FOC. With standard bloodline inserts and 125 I doubt he will be near that.