Single or Multi pin?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Ozark Bowhunter, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Ozark Bowhunter

Ozark Bowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Bowhunters,

What are you using? What are the advantages to a single point sight? In my head, single point means : risk of error (forgetting to move pin / correctly move pin when needed), takes longer vs pulling and shooting and being more expensive. But why is there such a hype?

Ozark Bowhunter
    Bowtech Assassin
    Blood Runners
    Ripcord

2. fingerz42

fingerz42 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Target shooters.

3. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Single pin have a less obstructed view, and can be more accurate in ranging. When using multiple hunting spots and stands, not all of them are going to be exactly the same distance from you prime shooting area. One may be 20 yards another 27, another 33. While it is not the hardest to split the distance between pins, being able to dial an exact range depending on which stand is being hunted would nice.

I currently use a 3 pin, I don't like having more than that and will likely switch to a single pin once this season is over.

4. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Both have their pros and cons. As you stated the fixed pin you always have a reference for each pin you have. The down side there is the pins also clutter the sight picture. A single pin gives you more flexibility in yardage selection but you do have to either have it set close or move it to the range. For some of my stands the max shot I have is 20 yards in any direction so a single pin works fine. The single pin gives you the ability to shoot longer ranges too. Now this ranges for most should only be used for a follow up shot if need be.

In the end it really boils down to which one you are comfortable with, single or fixed. I am trying the single pin the first time this year for hunting. I did keep a multi pin on hand just in case it causes me more grief than its worth. I will say that due to the open sight picture my accuracy at longer ranges 60 to 80 yards has improved considerably.

Hope that helps some.

5. Stubert

Stubert Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have an HHA, It is set for 20 yds. I do not have to move it until I get past 30, I won't shoot past 35

6. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Has nothing to do with target shooters. It has everything to do with the awesome sight picture gained without all the clutter. I set mine for 25 yards. At 10 im about an inch high and at 35 im about an inch or two low. I can shoot dead center lungs and get a killshot from 10-35 yards without having to guess yardage at all.

7. fingerz42

Dislikes Received:
    Wow. You must shoot a bow with an IBO of 800 fps. I always love the bunch that tries to say they get no drop between such and such yardage.
    Clear sight picture. I agree.
    Having to move and adjust a sight during crunch time. No thanks.
    Little to no drop from 10-35 is nonsense.

8. fingerz42

Dislikes Received:
  9. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love the advantage of the clearer sight picture with my Black Gold Ambush Ascent. It is a single-pin adjustable. And yes, with practice, it can be left on 25 yards at hit accurately anywhere from 0-30 yards. The difference in drop is still within the size of a pie plate, which is roughly the size of a deer's heart and lungs.

10. Stubert

Stubert Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You have no idea what you are talking about. A 3" differance between 10 and 35 yds. is NORMAL. I don't where you got your chart from, It doesn't echo real life.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  11. frantzracing0

Dislikes Received:
    Say what you like princess but with my sight set for 25 im an inch high at 10 and within an inch or two...MAYBE 3 inches low at 35 yards. And no, my ibo is right around 330 I believe. Not even a speed bow. Get those princess arms pulling a little more weight and maybe you too can shoot a single pin some day :poke:

12. frantzracing0

Dislikes Received:
    Heck and thats with 430 grain arrows

13. warpath2099

warpath2099 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just picked up a HHA Optimizer Lite single pin, and am really beginning to like it.

14. frantzracing0

Dislikes Received:
    Enjoy it, just dont listen to fingerme42 up there.

15. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just can't wrap my head around the top two "benefits" of single pin sights.

Makes no sense to me to have an adjustable sight and then not adjust it. You give up accuracy and settle for a high/low point of impact. Thats not good enough for me. I would try to hold the pin high or low based on range. I im going to do that, why not have another pin handy for reference.

As for the more open sight picture, I dont find that useful at all. Im not looking at the whole deer. I'm not even looking at the whole vital area. The only thing that I see when aiming is the 1/2 inch spot where I want my arrow to go and I have that spot picked out before I bring up my bow to draw. More open sight picture equals more potential distraction.

I'm in no way knocking the single pins or those who choose to use them. I'm just sharing the way my brain currently works. I reserve the right to try a one pin someday.

16. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you shoot your 20 yard pin at 20, 30, 40 you will see more drop than If you shoot your 40 yard pin at 20, 30 and 40.

So if you are using a single pin and will not be able to adjust, set your pin more towards the farthest you will shoot

17. BackCountryBlades

BackCountryBlades Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I like the idea of a single pin and the better view while shooting but if you need to take a quick shot to drop a trophy buck at 30-50 yds then I think a multi pin would be better so you don't miss out!

18. DanielBrown

DanielBrown Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have 3 pins on my HHA Optimizer Ultra sight. I like having the 20, 30 and 40 yard pins. No guessing that way. But my old bow only had one pin. And I got use to that and could shoot almost as well. Its all in what you get used to and what you personally like.

19. fingerz42

Dislikes Received:
    430 grain arrow.... not a speed bow... and shooting 330fps. Man, you're a dumb as you are internet tough, princess.

20. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have an HHA single pin site. I personally didn't like the multi pins.
    I shoot with both eyes open. It just works better for me.