Sit or Stand & When to stand?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Ozark Bowhunter, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Ozark Bowhunter

Ozark Bowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey all you Bowhunters,

If there is a thread already existing, please post the link. I've been bow hunting for about 3 years now, and I'm addicted. Haven't touched a gun since! A question keeps popping into my head. Do I stand up or sit down when shooting a deer. I currently use a climbing stand. I prefer to stand when shooting personally, and I don't think it matters to much which one is done. My problem with standing is, the deer sometimes pin point me. I try to move slow, but what the heck is "slow". I will say, I do not stand up when i hear something, I actually wait for a visual of the deer. My brother started shooting sitting down from a lock on stand and has luck with it, but from a climbing stand, there is a cross bar in front of you. If I choose to keep standing, what would you say is a good time to stand? I realize when his head is down is the best advice, but between standing, grabbing the bow, and drawing back, that's a lot to do while the deer has it's head is down. Most of the time the deer is constantly looking up and going back down, that keeps me in a stop and go mode while standing! lol I wanted to see if anyone had any better advice or tips.

Thanks for the help!

2. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You should be standing most the time especially during the magic hours. Only sit to rest your legs when you need too. Don't be a lazy hunter. :p Do you practice alot shooting sitting down from a elevated position? If the answer is no don't do it while you are hunting. I'd also make the suggestion of choosing better trees with more cover and going higher. It shouldn't be that difficult to get to a standing position slowly when their head is down or they are relaxed.

3. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shot better sitting.

4. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ol man tree stands makes a climber that the bar in front of you can be put on as a foot rest for bow hunting and up for a rest for gun hunting. Maybe this will help

5. Ozark Bowhunter

Ozark Bowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the replies! I never thought about more cover or higher elevation! I can change that up pretty easily. I just bought my climber, (not a fan) but my only option for public land hunting.

6. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    when you shoot sitting you still have to move. I scoot forward so my but is on the front edge of the seat plus turn so I am in the most comfortable position depending on where the deer is. This usually results once I extend the bow and draw that the bow is clear of the bar.

I try to stand if at all possible when shooting.

You can also try to build the seat up on the stand so you are closer to a standing position while seated so there is less movement involved.

7. patches2565

patches2565 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I tried both this season. I do stand most of the time like said above. This year I took a short rest and the moment I sat my buck came in so I was forced to shoot sitting. It made zero difference to standing except I had to reach up vs across. Like said above you should stand most of the time but either way works IMO

Bowtech invasion
    CX maxima 350
    React 5
    Reaper 2 inch

8. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Climbers really limit your ability to get in good cover do to the nature of their design. Why is a climber your only option? I'd recommend investing in a light weight lockon and good climbing sticks. Look at Lone Wolf Alpha or Assult and their sticks. I guarantee you once you become proficient it will be ever bit as fast. Maybe faster... Way quieter if the tree has a lot of lower limbs you have to cut on the way up. It also doesn't limit your ability of how high you can go if the trees you hunt have a lot of taper and you can get in almost any tree within reason.

9. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I sit...mostly because Im fat and standing all day isn't going to happen. Also have a fear of heights, and when I stand its worse for sure. I like to sir when I shoot also. But don't mind standing.

10. jeremy421

jeremy421 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If I'm sitting I'll slowly stand if I hear what I think is a deer coming. I'll wait to hear a couple definite noises that says deer. I'm not jumping up and down everytime a squirrel runs by. I'll listen closely maybe see a flash of brown or something. By the time the deer is in my lanes I'm standing drawn and ready u know.

11. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm standing most of the time with bow in hand (especially during the prime times). I can't stand the entire hunt so I WILL plop down after awhile (unless movement is really good). I scan the woods constantly and whenever I see a deer, no matter how far or not having any idea what it is I'll slowly get up. I can usually pick them out well before they are able to pick me out. When they do show up like ghosts all of the sudden like they also like to do, just be patient and pick your opportunity. Also, I don't stand up when I know I hear a deer coming close by. I have no idea what it's doing or what it is looking at. At that point I do the opposite and sit dead still until I can see the deer and read it. I'm not comfortable shooting sitting down. Don't practice it enough from a tree stand and would rather be standing.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  12. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I sit mostly because I cannot be still standing. I do however stand to shoot

13. Eddie234

Eddie234 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot standing. I sit until i cant sit no more then ill stand until I get tired of standing.

14. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I practice shooting from a standing and sitting elevated position and I have killed deer both ways. I fidget if I stand too long so I like to sit to minimize movement.

15. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Biggest thing is to know when to move if you are caught sitting. Spotting every deer is critical when you are about to stand. One thing to keep in mind is if you can see any part of their eye they can see you. Waiting until they go behind a tree or brush is usually necessary. Most climbing stands already put you at a disadvantage as the platform and the upper section are already big bulky looking things on a tree, then add yourself. Next thing is to stay as close to the tree as possible until you are ready to make the shot. If a deer is to your side they can pick out your silhouette very easily when you are out away from the tree. You also should try to pick trees you can climb into cover with. The problem with climbers is they have to be branchless straight trunk trees which often means no cover around you. Perhaps picking a two trunk tree and climbing into position between the two is an answer. I have also taken leafy branches and strapped them to the bottom of my platform to help break up the outline. Problem with that is if the platform is not 100% stable it can make noise or show movement. But it can be done.

16. Ozark Bowhunter

Ozark Bowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the advice! I went with the climber because of comfort and I thought it would be easier to just pick a tree and go. I'm guessing I was wrong on half that! LOL. I think I will run the the Bow shop and look at Lock on stands. Any advice on a model/Brand? I know Muddy seems to be the way to go, but are you paying for a name at that point> They seem pretty basic, "seat and Platform". How are the Walmart $50 models?

17. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I stand as much as possible, only sit to rest quick or if setting all day and seriously getting drowsy I'll strap myself to the tree tight for a quick nap (more than just safety harness).

Standing minimizes any chance of the standing motion busting you.

All that said we've begun placing a few stands with most shots off to left and left front that way Pops can sit more than stand...much easier for him and makes it easier for him to stay on stand longer.

Stand if you can, sit if you must and practice both!

18. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    You'll hear a wide range of opinions. I got a ton of Guide Gear stands from sportsmansguide as well as a few big game hunters. I've hunted out of lone wolfs and loved them, XOP's are awesome too. Hawk make good stands too.

Cast Aluminum (XOP, Lone Wolf and such) stands are going to be quieter but doesn't mean other stands are loud or louder. I've learned that the high dollar stands a just better made and one strap is good to go. Our cheap ones we put two straps on (always ratchet and one is replaced every year). If we only do one, often times the thing will squeek or moan...you don't want that.

19. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pay for a cast aluminum platform that is light weight. Cheap stands are heavy and make alot of noise with pops and creaking. It eventually will even if you doesn't when you first get it. Especially once it gets cold. Amazon is a good place. Get all my stuff in two days / free shipping with prime.

20. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Heck you had any of the cast ones from XOP yet? Only seen them in person and heard stuff....no first hand experience here yet.