Tuning Issues, is it the Broad heads or Me:(?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Afflicted, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been struggling with getting fixed broad heads to fly consistently and starting now to think its more about my inconsistencies than the BH:( I've got three bows and with all of them my BH will hit 5'' to the left at 30yd sometimes and other times their not that bad.

How much is form effecting your fixed Broad Head flight?

2. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you are shooting the same arrows with the same broadheads out of each bow than it would seem to me that it is a form issue. Occasionally miss to the right with broadheads and it is definitely me when I do. Usually, it is inconsistency with my grip.

3. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Grip issue or possibly arrows are too stiff for your poundage. You could do bareshaft training...use a bareshaft to train your grip...take a bareshaft and experiment with grip position to see how your grip can cause the bareshaft to miss right or left...then train your self to shoot the bareshaft straight. Just a thought.

4. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    So I can expect BH to show faults in my form the same way the show faults in my set-up?

5. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If its the same across 3 bows, I'd guess form too. Most likely grip, but could be your follow through too.

Any pics of you at full draw? Or better yet, a video of you shooting from the side?

6. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Number your arrows so you can keep track of those that fly the same and those that fly differently. If #1 flies great and then is off by 5-6 inches it's you. If the number always seems to hit the same spot then you at least have consistency, even if there are 2 different groupings. Depending on which group is more consistent is where I would then say you can start playing with things a little. It could be you need to try switching broadheads from one arrow to another and see if that makes a difference, provided the problem isn't you.

7. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, I've been doing that as well and can get bare shafts to fly ok at 20yds but not 35yds. The bare shaft arrows also are always in the target with the nock way right. Is that to be expected or does that tell me something else?

8. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    I'm thinking grip. If I get a video I only send the one that my form is perfect:) Which is not always.

9. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. I do always number my arrows but have not been keeping track lately. I think I'm still struggling with putting 100% focus each arrow I shoot.

10. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That definitely could be the cause then. The numbers will tell you for sure. One thing I also do is pair up a fixed blade broadhead with an arrow, the only thing I change is the blades.

11. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting. And they fly go at any distance once you do?

I've also turned the nocks one fletch over on some arrows and found they fly better but, haven't tried different yardages with then after.

12. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    At 20 yards that could tell you something...a nock right condition but at 35 yards who knows...I certainly can't shoot a bareshaft at 35 yards well enough to tell anything reasonable to lead me to tune my bow differently. A nock right and left impact you may have some tuning to do, but not all three bows...so makes me think the grip or perhaps your draw length

13. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    OK so reading this brings up a lot of questions.

1. What type of release are you using? I find that a lot more mistakes happen on the back end than the front end and is always overlooked. Shooters do not realize how critical the release hand is.
    2. How is the bow shooting through paper?
    3. Have you walk back tuned the bow?
    4. What arrow set up are you using?
    5. What heads and vanes are you using?
    6. Do you have any nock pinch from your D-loop?
    7. Face pressure? Are you digging your nose into the string. I can play around with this in combination with my release hand and have 2" misses on a Vegas face. This doesn't sound like much but, add a broadhead and another 15yd and that's huge.

14. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    1. What type of release are you using? I find that a lot more mistakes happen on the back end than the front end and is always overlooked. Shooters do not realize how critical the release hand is.
    *Scott Sabertooth NCS Release. I just read that recently and have been trying to have the string touch my nose very lightly.
    2. How is the bow shooting through paper?
    * bullet holes. That's why I hate to mess with to much.
    3. Have you walk back tuned the bow?
    * yes and it shoot straight up and down.
    4. What arrow set up are you using?
    * 30'' Easton FMJ at 534g.
    5. What heads and vanes are you using?
    * Viper tricks, G5's, Magnus Stingers and now Wasps 2 blade expandable.
    6. Do you have any nock pinch from your D-loop?
    * D-loop
    7. Face pressure? Are you digging your nose into the string. I can play around with this in combination with my release hand and have 2" misses on a Vegas face. This doesn't sound like much but, add a broadhead and another 15yd and that's huge.
    * It's one more thing I'm doing now. Making sure my touch is light.

I guess I need to just realize how hard BH will shoot if your form is off and how forgiving field tips are. I was I could shoot out to 60yd pretty good and now I'm happy with 50yd.

Thanks for the help

15. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nock pinch... what I mean by that and you may understand is when your nock is pinched tightly between your D-loop. It can have a very negative effect on arrow flight which may not be seen much with a field point. I personally serve above and below my nock inside my D-loop on all of my bows. This keeps the D-loop from sliding in toward the nock and putting pressure on the nock itself. This isn't the best example I've ever tied but, you get the picture.

[​IMG]

On your release try to focus on just your release hand and make sure it is the same every time. Then mentally make yourself turn it slightly or anchor slightly different and see what kind of difference thst make. Let me know how the outcome is.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  16. Pops423

Pops423 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going with Grip issues as well. A few years ago, i struggled with the same issue. I searched and found an article by Spott Hogg. Their tip was to wear a soft cotton glove on your bow hand. Let the bow naturally settle into the spot it should. So I tried it and it worked great. I was able to then train myself the feel of where the spot was and started shooting much better. It's worth a try. Good luck.

17. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. Great idea, I'll try that

18. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks much.

Yes my D loop has the serving all the way down as well. Good point.

I've taken from all the advise on this thread and really just focused on my form with slight adjustments to my bow and I was shooting out at 70yds today with ease.

I catch myself out with a false sense that shooting out to 35yd -60yds should come easy because I've been shooting for over 7 years but it's still takes a serious dose of focus. Even the cotton glove trick helped me relax my hand and just let the bow do all the work.
    Thanks to everyone's help I've got my confidence back as I head to NM next week with and Elk and Mule deer tag in my pocket.
    Hope to be putting up some nice photos in a couple of weeks.

Kilboars Hunt Club