PVC Blind

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by englum_06, Aug 15, 2015.

1. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone ever thought of using PVC to build a custom blind? The permanent blinds are just so expensive that I've been trying to think of alternatives. It may be a little pricey to build something out of PVC, But it would be highly customizable and durable depending on the material that you lined it with. I have access to a fair amount of the PVC as well as large rolls of black heavy duty shrink wrap to water proof it and to make the inside black.

Something like the picture below, but obviously it doesn't need to be that big, tall, or elaborate. You could make long windows, wide windows, or really anything.

Thoughts?

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a good idea to me. Give it a shot and let us know how it goes. Maybe you could do a tutorial.

3. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    PVC and fittings can add up fast but if you have access to it at a discount it's a good idea. What are you thoughts for the outside? Camo net or just tie a bunch of brush to it?

4. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The cool thing about this idea is that you could custom build the frame to fit any given spot that you may want to put it. It could be free standing, a lean-to off of a big tree or bank, whatever you need.

Provided of course that you don't glue the pieces together.

Sent from my Classic using Tapatalk

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You should call it the IKEA blind.

6. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You could even smoke stack it and get your scent up higher. Wrap it with erosion control covering and it will look like a bale blind.

7. englum_06

Dislikes Received:
    The spot I'm thinking of building it in is along a pipeline that the bucks travel during the rut. There's not a lot of trees to hunt from but there is some with low hanging branches, like a willow tree. I thought about putting one under the willow and making it like a 5x5 cube with wide windows. I'd wrap it all in black cellophane to weather proof it and then use camo burlap or something of the likes on the exterior. Black tarp attached with bungees could provide for windows to keep it black.

Just some ideas. It may not be "Cheap" to make, but the customizing it would make it worth it I think.

8. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's a good idea for sure, kind of bulky to take in and out. Prob easier just biting the bullet and buying one. Unless you plan on leaving it in one spot. Give it a go and let us know

9. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you count your time worth anything, it wouldn't end up saving any money but if you need something custom or want to throw time and money into a project then it could be interesting. Be sure to anchor it down...

10. englum_06

Dislikes Received:
    My time is worth a lot, but considering a redneck blind in the same dimensions I'm looking at is almost $2,000- I still think I'd come out way ahead. I don't want to use a pop up blind because they maybe $150-200, but let's face it, one heavy snow, one nasty wind storm, or one observant thief and they are gone and your money is wasted. It would be bulky, I'd throw it on a trailer and haul it to where I want it and slide it off- would move it the same way.

11. Wingtipsdown

Wingtipsdown Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If your going to haul it on a trailer - 2X4's are the cheapest.

12. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sure, if you're going to compare it to a Redneck ($1600-$1800 for blind alone) you can save money but lets face it...it probably ain't going to be comparable to a Redneck blind.

There are tons of them out there for around $7-800
    These are $849 for the brown and a full door.
    http://www.blynd.com/deer-hunting-blinds/hunting-ground-blinds

13. englum_06

Dislikes Received:
    Sure... $700-900 is much cheaper than a Redneck, but when you're trying to do things on the cheap to balance the needs of family and wants of hunting, $900 provides a lot of baby food and diapers. I don't see myself spending 1/4 of that on making a PVC box if I were to attempt it. And again, I could customize how I want it.

14. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Instead of cutting limbs, using burlap or a camo graphic, what if you used artificial Christmas tree limbs? I'm sure you can pick up a few cheap trees from Craigslist or a second-hand-store. They're not going to die like the limbs you cut, they wont hold scent, they're thick and you can bend them to your liking. Maybe paint a few brown and black to break up the outline.

15. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty cool idea, I've been wanting to build a blind of some sort for awhile but have never got real serious about it. I bought on of the bale blinds Redneck makes last year and it worked pretty good but I'd like to have something elevated.

What were you thinking of putting on the outside for the shell?

16. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    for cost and time savings, might want to think about smaller PVC or PEX tubing that you can bend into an arcs. sort of like a temp greenhouse.