Back Tension?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jeffrey Jones, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What are you guys opinion on this technique? I started using back tension to shoot about 2 years ago and all I can say is that I have became a better archer ever since. It takes some practice especially if ur used to punching and you've been so used to shooting that way. Who still punches honest? I like to hear your thoughts on the matter because imo if everybody would start using it you would get better and better. I use a Scott samurai release and I still use back tension its a given when it comes to dead on accuracy.

2. jakeratt

jakeratt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Isn't that release a dual calipers. Trigger style?

3. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, but you can use back tension for any release.

4. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I punch the trigger and proud of it. well maybe not punch it. but i preload the trigger and give it a steady squeeze as i exhale just like shooting a rifle. it works great for me. Iv tried the back tension thing. but i think i dont understand it right because i feel like im going to pull the d loop off. Im fine with the way i shoot.

5. Jeffrey Jones

Dislikes Received:
    Like anything it takes some practice but once you start doing it kinda becomes a habit. All I do is draw my bow back find my anchor point. Im a 29" draw so what I do is without pulling or punching the trigger rest my finger on it with slight tension on it but not enough to release it then push my bow hand forward until the bow goes off unexpectedly. Once you practice it and you get some repetition about it it comes natural but does take some practice. But It Works!!!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  6. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  7. Jeffrey Jones

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for sharing ChuckC exactly how Levi explained it is how I been practicing minus trip the trigger part lets just say it just happens the way I set my finger on the trigger then I push slightly and the bow goes off. Great article man im gonna try some of his tips I also shoot with an open stance so the perpendicular approach may help me also.

8. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Back tension is all hype.

9. Jeffrey Jones

Dislikes Received:
    What works best for you sir? I want to become a better shooter in time.

10. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't use back tension for hunting. I am willing to trade off the little bit of accuracy gain for a command release on game. Way too many game animals are in a constant state of motion, couple that with the often windy conditions in the mountains and plains makes it any choice for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Jeffrey Jones

Dislikes Received:
    Very interesting point man I think when it comes down to it some of it is all out the window when game time is on but thats a good way to put it I myself just use it because it works for me I started bowhunting 5years ago and I was always punching on my shot while practicing and wasnt getting the groups I was wanting so I slowed down read an article about back tension started using it an im more accurate on a target. Im no 3-D archer by far but its helped me in the field so far. I guess different strokes for different folks.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  12. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i tend to agree with you. how ever feels the most natural and gives you a smooth release is the best way to go

13. Drivingtacks

Dislikes Received:
    It does feel great when you can do it properly. I only started messing with shortly before Levi's article, it might feel natural but its very unnatural to learn I feel.

14. Drivingtacks

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot my bow the same way I shot a rifle. I let the sights float and squeeze the trigger, with my finger, until the arrow is released. What works for me might not work you and Levi said exactly that. To become a better shooter, practice a lot! When you shoot a TON the bow will become an extension of your body and you will be able to out arrows anywhere you want. Last summer when I had a ton of time after work, I would shoot 100+ arrows minimum every night. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to do as much shooting this summer.

15. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A few professional target archers have admitted recently that they do not use back tension even though it is considered the norm for all target archers. I do not like it. I do not mind thumb releases but I use them as such, a trigger. For hunting, like trial said, I want to know when my arrow is flying.

16. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a fairly strong push pull guy. I'm going on my 6th year and my 14th or 15th deer with a hinge release. I love it. It's what I shoot year round so it's natural for me. It allows me to make those really tight shots when needed. I just add a light click for hunting where I normally don't use one for target

17. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Some interesting items. I do tend to lean into my shots, think that comes from rifle shooting, so I am going to try the more balanced stance and see how it feels. I might also see if I can develop an additional anchor point.

I noticed none of these top shooters use a wrist sling either.

18. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think it's important to differentiate between executing a shot with back tension, and maintaining back tension throughout your shot cycle.

While the first may be up for debate, IMHO the second isn't. I don't know a single top end pro shooter that isn't maintaining strong back tension through their shot routine. I've shot with and competed against a lot of pro level shooters as well.

Even Levi - Who claims he doesn't execute via back tension is maintaining strong back tension in his shot routine. Look at this video, if you watch his shot execution there is a strong explosion with his release hand recoiling backwards when the shot breaks. This happens because he's got all the tension to maintain his form in the back.

Also - Despite Levi writing about not using back tension to execute his shot recently, remember that 99.9% of pro level shooters are. Including all of the guys that are at the top of the indoor and FITA game, where form and shot process repetition are most critical. They are doing this for a reason...........

For the record, I shoot a hinge very well, but have elected to shoot a thumb trigger for the last 8 years or so. I don't shoot a lot anymore and will let down on less than perfect shots when things just aren't right. I'm just a bit more confident letting down with a thumb trigger. I execute both style releases with back tension, and can dump one quickly if needed in any hunting scenario but just don't find myself needing to.

When I worked with a coach back when I was competing a lot, we did a lot of video analysis of my routine. My optimum shots always broke 5.5-6 seconds after I hit full draw. I almost couldn't miss if I had a well setup shot break within that window. I question if one needs to punch a trigger in a hunting because they don't have 5-6 seconds to setup properly.........should they really be shooting at a live animal?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  19. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Matt, I couldn't have said that better myself. Very well put.

Out of 14 or 15 deer with a hinge. I've had to hurry one

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  20. northern rednek

northern rednek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot back tension for years with a hinge, I also used it for hunting for a couple years. I'm new to hunting(only 3 seasons) but have been a target archer for years. I found that executing with back tension didn't work for me hunting. On a shooting line where everything is perfect I find it best but hunting I had to make a couple out of position shots that really didn't feel good. The results were good but I totally didn't like the feel of the shot. I use a thumb for hunting now and squeeze with my thumb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Fre