permanent treestand on public land

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by EliteGame530, Jul 2, 2015.

1. EliteGame530

EliteGame530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What do you guys think about permanent treestands on public land? I have 4 cheap stands that I bought this year to hang on different public land spots but I'm having second thoughts about this topic....

On one hand I do not care of someone uses my stand as long as they are using the same ethics as I am but I can't be serious to actually think that's going to happen.

I have hunted other permanent public stands after hunting near them in my own stand realizing no one is using it. So instead of putting up & taking mine down every time I hunted that spot I would hunt the permanent stand. But I am a very ethical bowhunter and go above and beyond to stay undetected.

On the other hand I don't want people to hunt MY stand until I've had success from it. But I can't be serious to think that either because it's PUBLIC land! It's everyone's land. That's not a fair way of thinking is it??

So I'm having mixed feelings and want to see what everyone else thinks about this.

Would you hunt a permanent stand on public land? Have you ever put up a cheap permanent stand and left it there for the public?

2. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Are permanent tree stands legal on pub ground in Ohio? We must remove everything at the end of the season here. They also limit the number of stands you can hang to two in a specific area but I am not sure how they can/do enforce that.

3. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Why mark your good spots for other hunters by putting up stands? Buy a climber or pack in your stands.

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've never hunted someone else's stand, nor have a left a stand on public ground. I've seen lots of them out there though. If I were going to leave one out, I'd probably take my sticks with me in and out. I don't want someone stealing it for starters, and also don't want other people hunting out of it.

5. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's a very good point!

6. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes it does kind of give away you spot butt u can also have the problem I had last year where someone came in and set there stand there cause u don't leave yours there. I think this year I am going to take my cheap stand and hang them to kind of "mark my area". I have a set of muddy sticks so I will be putting up and taking those down every time

7. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    PA requires you to take them down after the season but nobody does it. The public land around here is littered with ladder stands year round.

I usually don't leave stands up for the duration of the season but I wouldn't mind someone else using one of my stands. They'd have to be willing to hike a little further and have the same area pinpointed so I'd respect that.

8. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Isn't that kind of a below the belt move? Just get there before he does and hope the hunter is up to date on his unwritten rules.

9. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That own't work. Somebody will either hunt your stand, or hunt a tree close by if it's an spot they want to hunt. It is public land, you cannot "claim" a spot. Anybody can hunt anywhere they want. You can only hope to get in there first or go deep enough nobody else wants to be in your spot.

In PA this year stands left on public land must be tagged with the owner's info. If not they will be removed by the PGC officer or DCNR ranger that finds it.

10. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    Ok let me rephrase that. Not CLAIM because yes your right any one can hunt anywhere they want doesn't matter if its 5 ft from me and I am in my stand. If someone wants to hunt my stand or a tree close by and I am not there well then that's my fault for not hunting there that day. But generally speaking if I see a stand in a area well then I go find myself a different area. Last thing I want to do is set up by someone else's stand and then have them come out later and piss them off and ruin my hunt. So ASSUMING people have the same mind set they see a stand and go about finding a different area to hunt.

11. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ah ok. I agree then. I have no issue with guys hanging legal stands on public land, I just thought you meant the spot was yours just because you put a stand there. I have had guys climb trees 20 yards from me so not everybody has the same respect for fellow hunters.

12. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    dont know about there, but here we have a bunch of liberal, anti-hunting, vegan, tree-huggers walking around... I'd be afraid of one of them finding my stand and stealing it, or trashing the area and ruining the hunting there for the season...

13. EliteGame530

Dislikes Received:
    Seems like most people on this site would leave the stands alone which would be a Beautiful thing. But first my reason for wanting to pre hang stands is because I'm hunting a bunch of places I'm really not sure about how good the hunting will be and I'm gonna be bouncing around a lot with camera gear. And also I'll be taking my 11 year old nephew with my with his crossbow and I'd hate to have to hang 2 stands that day.

Hoping I can find trees that will also be good for a second cameraman stand and get those setup now with the permanent and cleaned up and camera man ready

14. EliteGame530

Dislikes Received:
    They are $35 stands brand new so I'm not to worried about losing them just don't want people to adopt my spots I'm going to hunting

15. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    Just make sure you don't hang them to early. At least here we cant hang stands until September 1st and have to be pulled down by March 1st. There is plenty of good public land from your state so just do your homework

16. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Unfortunately there is only small percentage that have that same mind set. Heck I have pulled up to a public spot only to leave because there was a vehicle already there. Not that there wasn't hundreds of acres if not more to hunt. Just didn't know where the guy was at and didn't want to screw it up for him. To many times have I been in the stand or blind on public land and had my hunt ruined do to someone else's ignorance or mentality.

17. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd hunt an area if there was an empty stand because a guy could just be trying to "claim" that area as his. But I'm with Heckler in that if I see a vehicle in a spot I will most likely move on.

18. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Why don't you try to do some ground hunting.

19. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    I wish that was the case around here. Usually I am the first one in and the last one out but every public area within a hour of me will have more then one person at all times. During the weekends there could be close to 10 plus vehicles on a spot that's only a few hundred acres or so. Where I hunt every now and then would be considered a large chunk of public land and its around the 500 acre mark. That's why I try to stay away from public for the most part is just cause of the people/ pressure it gets but gotta change things up every now and then.

20. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    And that's fine is long its the right time of day.... It the dip****s that walk in at sun up because they slept in, they are lost, scared of the dark, or have no common sense.

Last year I had a guy set his stand within 20 yards of mine, he swore he didn't see me and then on top of that he left at prime time... I'm sure his ears were burning cause I was steaming mad.

I make every effort to not have the same entrance and exit routes as everyone else as I am sure the deer pattern hunters. I'm in the stand quite often and someone will blow my set and say they had no idea I was down in there.

I have always said you have to out hunt other hunters on public ground to kill big deer. It is by far the most challenging.