Dealing with target panic

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by CToutdoorsman, May 20, 2015.

1. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I have run into target panic just in the back yard where i cant settle my pin where i want it usually im low. does anybody have any tips for dealing with this, anything would be helpful.
    TIA Paul.

2. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    There are several threads on this subject if you do a search and also an article on the website as well, I think in the blogs section. One way to help is blind shooting, close to the target (so you don't miss the target) and draw with eyes closed and go through all your motions then release the arrow. I will also draw with eyes open but not fire, hold the pin on target then let down and do both of those several times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Once you get your pin close concentrate on centering the sight ring in your peep not on the pin. Helps get rid of the yips and you will be suprized how well you shoot.

4. WKPTodd

WKPTodd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Try focusing on your pins; not the target. Sometimes I have to do this at longer ranges because I just can't get my pin high enough. In the field hunting, I've found I don't remember focusing on anything at the moment of truth. I'd rather be a little low when shooting at animals, as they drop. Don't over-think stuff, just try to change up your practice routine. Focus on one arrow / one shot per target / not groups.

5. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Try and concentrate more on your form than your groups and don't over complicate things.

6. Longstriker

Longstriker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    CToutdoorsman, you started a good thread today. Even though I'm presently not experiencing any target panic, I'm picking up some fantastic targeting tips. Thanks WKPTodd and Sota. I'm always trying to get better. This morning while practicing I concentrated on using a smooth back muscle draw. Then since not many but the best archers can hold a pin on any target indefinitely, I let my pin rise or slid into my intended shot and I just pulled the trigger. It's so cool when you walk up and find that you've got a bullseye that you've actually been trying to hit.

7. Robson

Robson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the club...

I have struggled w/ it on/off since I started shooting. Things that I have found the help me are:

- get a 2nd release, that is different. Not sure why, but switching releases for some reason breaks up my routine enough that it can help me. My example is I normally use a TRU BALL Beast II and when my trigger panic starts to creep back in, I will switch to a Scott Sabertooth. Just a simple change in the trigger feels and location is enough to make me focus on something else that it seems to help.

-Don't shoot dots, or don't shoot small dots....

-Shoot less. When my trigger panic flares up, I start shooting less arrows. Its better to shoot 6 perfect arrows then 20 bad. I shoot and if my trigger panic starts at all I quit. Sometimes I can shoot 4 arrows and then I start to get sloppy, sometimes its 15. But as soon as I rush the shot once...pack it in for the day.

Best of luck. TP is like an addiction...you manage it, but its always going to be there

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  8. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    One of the things that helped me when I had some issues was to stop trying to force the pin to be perfectly steady. That injected a very bad habit of "shoot now!" when the pin stopped for a second and I would punch the release. I now I accept the pin float and allow it to make slight circles around my spot and I shoot when I am ready, not when the pin stops.

9. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    what others said, learn to "float the pin" instead of trying to get it perfectly still on the dot. Anticipate where the pin is going on the float and shoot when ready.

I had trouble punching my trigger at first, I think blind-bailing with your eyes closed helps a lot with that.

10. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you to every body who chipped in with advice i really appreciate it all!

11. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm actually just getting over target panic and I started doing this unknowingly. I've actually been pretty good too. This morning I put up a group the size of a poker chip at 40 yards.

12. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
  13. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lots of good advice - I had a severe case of target panic for the past couple of years. Very frustrating and it happened all at once all of a sudden.

I finally switched trigger type from a wrist and index pull to a handheld and thumb push. Haven't shot this good in years. Sometimes just changing something gets your mind off it so you don't overthink it. I shoot better and consistent even during some weaker "punchy" moments.

14. Wingtipsdown

Wingtipsdown Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I took my bow from 70 to lowers 60 lbs.
    Shortened my release to engage further back my finger.
    Bale shot for several weeks but did not close my eyes.
    When I got fatigued was when I would get worse. Only shoot 4-6 times.

Just recently, I changed my pins to keeping my pin to the right. My pin doesn't cover my target, I keep it to the side and shoot off the theory of touching the left side of the pin on centerline of my target (the 9 o'clock position of my pin). I shoot so much more relaxed now because I never cover up my target and it feels great.

I definitely agree with concentrating on centering your peep with the site guard and not so much on the pin itself.

Take your time and relax. Good luck to you...

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  15. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Squeeze the release slowly and trust the floating pin. Don't worry about your accuracy right now...just focus on good form and a smooth release

16. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is good advice, depending on how your release is set up. You don't want to have to reach for the trigger.

17. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't been on much lately due to my schedule being crazier than it has ever been. This has been an issue I have been struggling with for some time now and last year it was really amplified due to the target testing I was doing. I would go out and shoot 100-300 arrows a day. You would think that would make a shooter better. Not so much the case. It caused me to hit my spot and slam my release. I have been using the same hinge (better known as a back tension in case anyone is reading this that doesn't know) for nearly 4 years now. I had it set hot so that I could snap it when I was ready to shoot. I am closer to breaking my target panic than I have ever been. I've worked with one of the best coaches in the country and had advise from one of the best archers in the world to overcome my panic. Saying it was severe is an understatement. I am now able to hold on the spot until my release fires without flinching. That's somewhere between 5-9 seconds after I settle my pin on the target. And yes, my pin stays rock solid but, that's a whole other topic.

There has been a lot of good advise on this thread and I've done all of it. Blind bailing was the first thing I tried. Worked amazing until I put my sight back on. I can execute a perfect surprise release 100% of the time on a blind bail. Put a target in front of me with a pin in a housing and I wouldn't be able to do it.

Aiming and letting down is a really good strategy because you know you aren't going to be able to set the release off and you have no intention of shooting. So, your brain doesn't trigger you finger. It does help some to do it though.

Squeezing the trigger instead of slapping in works some also. And shortening the release if you are using a wrist strap to help with slapping the trigger. It still doesn't eliminate target panic.

Changing releases helps. I recommend a complete change. Get away from the wrist strap completely. Go to a hand held of some sort. This causes you to completely retrain yourself set the trigger cold (slow or longer travel before it releases) so that it's more of a surprise. This will help a lot. Honestly a hinge being shot properly will be the best release. I know it's scary and intimidating for some. You can really hurt yourself trying one. With that being said though, they are the most adjustable and recommended by the top pros for overcoming target panic. There are some great articles and just as many videos about using one out there. Go watch some to see if you may want to give one a try.

One thing I haven't seen suggested here at all is using a string to train with. Make a loop on each end. With tension on the rope or string (I use parracord) from end to end needs to measure the exact draw length of your bow. Hook your release and hook your thumb of your bow hand. Act like you are shooting and learn to squeeze the trigger until it surprises you. Do this every chance you get. I do mine while I'm watching TV (what little I watch) sitting at my desk at work, cooking or whenever I have a few spare minutes. This has helped me a ton with hammering my release. After all, that's part of getting rid of it.

There are other things you can do and plenty of information out there from top pro archers to help you. In the end it's on you and your mind. You have to be dedicated and make a big commitment to overcome it. Until you mentally make yourself stop, you won't. It's the hardest thing I have ever done in archery to date. It's a complete mental game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    http://archeryhistory.com/archerytalk/The_Nuts&Bolts_of_Archery.pdf

There's a guy name Nuts & Bolts, he produces high quality teaching and helps with form as well as target panic. Go to section 9 on the link I just sent you and read. This guy breaks it down well and teaches easy to remember steps to conquer target panic.

I have target panic as well so i've modified a couple of his steps to suite me (I don't have a hay bale to shoot). It's helped me a lot.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions.

19. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I will be trying this, this weekend! Thanks!

20. Bowhunter0132

Bowhunter0132 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly. A blank target, up close.. close your eyes, go thru the steps of a good shot. Once you get that down, try shooting close range and work your way backwards. Target panic should go away for you. Good luck!