Need Help Please

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Wingtipsdown, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Wingtipsdown

Wingtipsdown Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Guys I'm 50. Not new to bow hunting but years ago I shot compound bow with 2 finger tab release.
    I bought a buddies PSE bow about 3 yrs ago, along with a release. I will shoot great until fatigued or something.
    I don't think I'm fatigued but I'll call it that. I would shoot way right - like over 3 ft.

Needless to say, I have new bow bear empire, new tv release.
    Shot this bow since last November. I will still blast 1 way out right, always right. To the point it is gone.

I just shot 4 times a few minutes ago, 2 at 20 and 2 at 30.
    Then shot 1 more at 15 and flung 1 into the thicket.

This is making me sick- what can I do to fix this?

I have shot 2 Turkish and a nice 10 point buck last November. My first few shots are always really good and then something just happens. It's crazy but I haaaaaave to fix this...........But don't know what to do.

This is first post, thanks for any help.

2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Are you right handed or left handed? My guess without seeing you shoot and knowing more about your setup is that you are jerking the bow out of the way to see the arrow. Just relax! Focus on the target and keeping the pin on your point of impact. I would recommend bale shooting up close some until all the shots feel the same. Even if that means closing your eyes to feel the shot.

Any chance we can get some video of you shooting. If you don't feel comfortable with that video yourself and then go back and watch it.

Good luck an let us know how things go.

3. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am thinking it is target panic or something with your release hand. make sure your bow hand isn't squeezing too tight and causing the bow to torque. check and make sure your bow is straight up and down plumb not tilting. when you touch off the trigger on the release just squeeze it off like shooting a gun. if you are jerking it then that will cause problems as well. have someone video you and then watch yourself for anything that you can see yourself doing. and if not video from different angles. something will show up I'm sure. last result put a video of you shooting on here for us to watch and maybe we could help that way. let us know how it goes.

4. Wingtipsdown

Dislikes Received:
    Right handed, but I'm left handed. Right eye dominant, shoot guns and bows right handed.
    I can hold the pin on the target no problem. I feel it is my left hand and release hand working horribly together.

I'll look up bale shooting.
    Sorta wondering if my bow draw is a little short. I'll get that checked. The draw can be lengthened.
    Keep any ideas coming, I'll listen to them all.

5. tc racing

Dislikes Received:
    if your bow shop has a range maybe have the guy working on your bow watch you shoot then you can get some hands on help.

I knew a guy that was opposite eye dominate and he had to make a special bracket for his sight that worked in tune with his dominant eye. his sight ring was mounted on a 4" or so rod. looked funny but it worked for him. I tried to get him back in the rehlm of things but he was a stubborn guy that wouldn't listen. one more thing you can do if you think it is an eye thing is to talk to your eye doctor and maybe he can work up something to help?

6. Bowhunter0132

Bowhunter0132 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

I agree with him. If you are left handed, you may be "collapsing", meaning your are starting to collapse your form or let down before the shot in anticipation of the actual shot. You may also be "punching", meaning you are yanking the release trigger. Usually punching means you are off a few inches.. not feet though. Target panic could be it, but that is usually more that you just can't seem to get the pin on your target.. but you should know that is happening.. it is a concious thing usually. The guy who coached me to shoot like I do would always tell me "Imagine you have your bow at full draw and I were to cut the string w/o you knowing.. you bow hand would go forward and away, you trigger hand would go back.. if that isn't happening.. you are doing something wrong."

I would also try numbering your arrows on the fletching and see if it is the same arrow that is going wide right, it could be the arrow is bad or kinked somewhere.

I also agree with everyone else, if you have a video capability, video yourself and watch it later. See if you can pin point what you are doing wrong. Either that or if you have a buddy you shoot with, see if they can watch you and try to pinpoint it.

7. Wingtipsdown

Dislikes Received:
    I can video - will do that for sure.
    I shoot right eye dominant with a right handed bow. But like I said - when I miss, I miss big time.
    I can shoot a 8 inch circle (being very, very conservative with the 8"). But when I fling 1 it is always to the right and feet off the mark.
    I guess bottom line is that it is a form of target panic. Not going to worry in my head too much, just going to work hard to fix this.

I've never done this on the first 5 shots, it's always later when I seem to get fatigued.

Thanks again for all the help so far.

8. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Check your stance too

9. tc racing

Dislikes Received:
    dumb idea but make sure you don't have any loose clothing catching the string. like bowhunter said number the arrows. make sure you have good vane clearance.

10. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It does sound like target panic. This can be pronounced if you're fatigued.

11. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe your grip is off?

12. Wingtipsdown

Dislikes Received:
    Found it.

While I mentioned several things, age, right eye dominant, new release but I'm sorry that I didn't mention that I had a 23 year break.

FATIGUE FOR SURE!!!

Did the bale shooting and all went south when I got tired. Didn't take too long. The more I shot the more I quivered trying to hold the bow back. I was a Diehard bow hunter in my early years 16 through 27. I stopped when I started my family and just got the fever again. Really getting into it this year. My bow is set at 64 lbs but I will dial it back with advice from where I purchased it and go up to whatever feels comfortable over the summer. I'm thinking I will end up back around 60 lbs. Bottom line is, I set the poundage to what I thought was right. Nope - it's too much.... Bale shooting proved that to me.

Thanks for all the input, the input from this site and the suggested bale shooting helped me locate my problem.

I have good form, great surprise release, when I got fatigued - it all went out the window.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  13. Bowhunter0132

Bowhunter0132 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    :nana:

Glad you figured out what it was. I would say to practice until you START to get tired, then quit. Shooting after you are fatigued is only going to teach yourself bad habits like punching and collapsing because you mind and body just want to get that shot off so you can relax. I shoot 3 arrows about 3-4 times, then quit. Go back the next day or later that day. 99% of the time, when hunting, you only get 1 shot at a time anyway.

14. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

Definitely agree 100%. Only shoot till you get tired. I learned that the hard way. Even though you want to shoot more because its fun, it will definitely produce some bad habits. When you practice make your FIRST SHOT COUNT. Your very first shot is the most important.

15. Wingtipsdown

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot very good the first time. I preach this to my 22 and 15 yr old all the time.
    Man, this was really wrecking my good times. So much so, that I came in the night I posted - to get some help.
    You guys are Great! I appreciate all the help. Lots of reading on here for me that has tons of great info.

16. Wingtipsdown

Dislikes Received:
    This should complete the thread I started...

Lowered the lbs from 65 TO 60.
    Shot 5 times tonight, muuuuucchhh better.

17. tc racing

Dislikes Received:
    glad we could help!! shoot straight!!!