Questionb about Sighting in Black Gold Ascent Ambush

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by cantexian, Apr 13, 2015.

1. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was working on sighting in yesterday. I am curious as how good you feel grouping should be in the process. It is a single-pin adjustable. My groups at 20 and 30 were spot on. I shot two groups of five arrows at 40. 6 of 10 arrows were level within one inch of each other. I had two arrows hit about four inches high and two hit about four inches low. I am confident that it was me making bad shots on two of the four that were off. Both time I felt off I hit high. Not sure if it was me or not on the low shots. Would you call this good enough to mark it for 40 yards? This is my first time sighting in a single pin adjustable and first time shooting my new setup at 40. Before yesterday I had only shot it at 20.

2. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    More than likely all the fliers (2 high and 2 low) were from inconsistent form or not being on target when you shot. It sounds like you need to practice more at shots past 30 yards to gain consistency. That's common. Obviously without seeing you shoot or where the arrows hit, I am just guessing. But that's my guess.

I have the same sight and if I shoot 3 arrows and all three hit where I am aiming I mark that yardage. I generally shoot 20-50 and then line my marks up with one of the MBG pre-printed tapes. I've had this sight on 3 different bows now and this process works well for me.

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The thing to watch out for is stringing in groups at longer distances. ...

4. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would go back to shooting at the 40 again. Meaning....try it again a different day to make sure it is consistent. Shoot your first shots at 40 while you are fresh. No fatigue in case you were shooting a lot before at other yardages.

If you have 3-5 consistent arrows right on at 40 then you should be good to go. I have the same sight and love it.

5. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Could you tell me more about what you mean here? Thanks

6. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, I was wondering about that myself.

7. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Think about this for a minute. If you have a group that opens up just like your pin float opens because the range is further, your groups will open as well...they open up in the circle around the point of aim.

If your stringing groups, vertical or horizontal, so your group is a straight line vs a circle around the point of aim.you most likely have a form and or a equating equipment issue.
    For example left to strings for a right handed shooter is a common issue with a draw length that is too long.

8. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Got ya. Just didn't understand the terminology. Makes sense to me.

9. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the advice. I have shot my old bow at 40 but this was the first time with this bow and sight. There was very little horizontal stringing. It was a windy day and I did shoot 40 last so I discredit the little bit of horizontal stringing yesterday. I will shoot 40 again when I am fresh before calling it sighted in.