Fastest dropping fall away arrow rest

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by 808hilo, Mar 29, 2015.

1. 808hilo

808hilo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My husband and I are both archery hunters with short draws. I am 24 and my husband's is 27.
    His vanes are hitting his QAD rest on his new PSE Bow Madness 34 shooting 60 lbs. He has tried different angle adjustments on his vanes but is still having issues.
    He had no problem on his Mathews Drenalin LD with the same rest.
    Does anyone have any suggestions to solve his problem?

2. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You shouldn't have any problem with the drop. I would have it looked at by a pro shop. My guess is that you don't have it setup quite right and probably need the string repositioned or the pull.

I would also post this in the bowhunting section instead of the introduction section of the forums. You will get a lot more responses. And welcome to the site!

3. 808hilo

808hilo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the quick response. I will try to figure out how to post this correctly now.

4. bonescreek

bonescreek Newb

Dislikes Received:
    When I time my HDX or the Hunter, I set the rest at loaded 90 degrees,
    loosen the clamp on the cable, slide the clamp down the cable till the slack
    comes out, then...
    to get just right amount of clamp tightness to begin to time it,
    I gently pull on the clamp just a little to see that the forks move just
    past 90 and stay there.

If the clamp slips and the forks come back to 90 degrees the clamp
    is too loose to try to time it.

I think a lot of people have a hard time getting the timing right because
    getting the clamp pressure with just the right amount of grip to set the
    time.

Hope this helps.

P.S. not having the center shot set close enough will cause contact for sure even with
    correct timing. Paper tune at 6' will show where it's at.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  5. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site! Should be an easy problem to fix. I had a similar issue a few years back and it was fixed in minutes by the Pro Shop.

6. Tom Berigan

Tom Berigan Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Had the same problem this year only the problem wasn't it dropping away too slow rather it did not lock when it did drop and then was bouncing back up. I switched to an octane that locks and haven't had a problem since. Good luck

7. hfc144

hfc144 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I was using a QAD rest and switched to QAD Ultra rest and it made a world of difference in my groups.

8. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First, is the QAD Hunter model? Could be bounce back or a timing issue but until we now which model it is I don't want to offer advice that may not pertain to your current model of QAD rest.

I can guarantee the QAD drops fast enough, just need a little more info to help out.

9. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lots of misconceptions on how you want a drop away to work. You want to rest to stay up and provide support for the longest time possible after release.

If this is the hunter model you might be getting bounce back ..if that's the case the best way to fix it is with another rest...

If it's an HDX or an LD here is how I set the rest up.

Vise the bow, install the rest so the bottom of the V holds the arrow through the center of the burger hole. Set your center shot after this step.

Now release the rest so it's in a downward position.
    Place the bow on the draw board, split the downward cable and place your cord through the center, this should be just below the center of your grip.

Now using the draw board draw the bow back and adjust the cord length so the rest engages in the lasts 1 or 1.5 of the draw cycle.

At this point once the cord is in the correct position, cut the cord and flatten (burn ) the end so it fairly close up the cable. Then serve a .5' stopper about it.

Your rest should be timed correctly to prevent contact at this point. Also don't be afraid to reposition your nocks for even more clearance.