Complete novice looking for advice

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by ldgary, Mar 27, 2015.

1. ldgary

ldgary Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I want to get started bow hunting, maybe do some target shooting. I have a 25.5" draw length and right now can handle 38-40# draw weight.

I have looked at and shot (a couple of arrows each) the Bowtech Fuel, Bowtech heartbreaker, and a PSE Stinger X Stilletto. I liked all three but the Fuel probably was ranked first in preference. Any other bows that I should try?

I know very very little about archery. Thanks in advance.

2. Bowhunter0132

Bowhunter0132 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My advice is to shoot as many type of bows as you can and pick which bow "fits" you the best. Don't worry about if it is Matthews or Bowtech or PSE or whatever.. go with what ever bow you are the most comfortable with. If you get stuck between 2-3 bows and have a large target to shoot at, try standing close to the target. Close your eyes and draw.. which feels the smoothest and fits the best? That is the bow you should go for.

If you have a buddy who shoots archery, see if they can coach you on proper form and technique. If not, look into local archery clubs and see if anyone is willing to coach a little. My buddy loves coaching others and says all the time "the best student is the one who is picking up his first bow.. he hasn't taught himself bad habits yet."

3. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hi idgary :wave:
    Welcome to the site. That's some outstanding advice that Bowhunter0132 gave above.

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on lots of things. If you are young and will be growing, then find a bow that can be easily adjusted in draw length and weight like the Hoyt Ignite.

5. bigfootcali

bigfootcali Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with skywalker, besides hoyt the pse stinger x stiletto has a wide range of adjustability. IMO get what feels good to you me personally I'm into pse, one very good adjustability, two smooth draw cycle, three easy to adjust, four they don't break the bank and you get awesome performance.

6. ldgary

ldgary Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm over 50 so I think my growing days are probably over ;) Thanks for the input. I liked the Fuel and the stiletto.

7. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Look at a Mission Craze, great bow with a ton of adjustability.

8. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    First of all, welcome to the forums and welcome to bowhunting and archery.

Shoot as many bows as you can before making a choice. Lots go into selecting a bow and your inexperience undoubtedly has you wondering where to start or what to look for. One important thing to keep in mind is draw length. Make sure the bow is always set to your draw length before testing it. I've seen countless shops let people shoot bows way outside their draw length. You can't get a good feel for a bow unless its close.

Don't worry about brands, etc. Pick the bow based on what felt best to you and is in your price range.

9. calbow

calbow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with the above posts. shoot as many as you can in your price range and I really like pro shops as they will stand by you and help you esp. if they have a shooting range in their shop. Join an archery club and shoot 3D's it is fun and you meet people and you get better fast. Welcome aboard and have a blast. BHOD!

10. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^THIS^ and Welcome to the site!

11. Rogue6

Rogue6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome !! Everyone above has given great advice only thing I can add is to enjoy every bit of it and Practice, Practice, Practice!!!

12. mike71198

mike71198 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Agree, My wife had this bow. It is very adjustably affordable and a great bow. As others have said shoot as many as you can and the bow will pick you.

13. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    welcome!! overall remember to have fun with archery, no matter how many arrows you lose or deer you can't find. have and open mind and watch and learn from every archer you are around. the day it isn't fun it's over!

14. MMcRobie

MMcRobie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I couldn't agree more with the advice on shooting as many bows as possible and allowing the bow to pick you essentially. Last year I shot bows from essentially every big name manufacturer out there; Hoyt, Mathews, Elite, Prime, etc. For me, the Elites were a cut above the rest and that's what I ended up going with. For another person, they could have shot the same bows I did and picked out a Hoyt, Mathews, or whatever. Point being, we all prefer different things when it comes to shooting a bow. Have some fun shooting as many makes and models as you can and choose a bow in your price range that feels right to you. Good luck!

15. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For starters id get a bow that you can afford for now. To me i recomend shooting mission bows their cheap and their good bows

16. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site! Like what all the guys said above. can never go wrong practicing till your arms fall off!! Pick what best suits you the best, what you feel comfortable shooting. Best of luck, and let us know what you decide.

17. ldgary

ldgary Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everybody. I ended up with the Bowtech Fuel. Now lots of practice in my future.

Leisa

18. Rogue6

Rogue6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice!! Congrats!!! When ya get a chance throw a pic up so we can check out your rig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!

20. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    enjoy!!