Winter feeding

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Wonoma, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Wonoma

Wonoma Newb

Dislikes Received:
  2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If they were conditioned to feed earlier, that is the problem people feed too late. Those deer has less than a 50/50 chance of making it thru without feed.

3. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You can feed deer in the winter if done is moderation and controlled (no free feeding). Also as said if you feed them year round the complications that are identified in the article will be less likely as they would become accustom to the diet in advance.

I get there can be negatives that can happen but just like any animal if fed a healthy diet in moderation it is overall better for the animal. It just makes sense.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That is the issue if you are going to feed you have to buck up and do it year round. It all works out in the end.

5. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If a person is in a non ag area where there is no crop residue to keep deer acclimated to grain, then the options are to
    1. Feed year around
    2. Don't feed at all
    3. Feed a proper processed ration pellet intended for deer biology.
    Not necessarily in that order.

If you're in an ag area where there's grain residue in the fields then I don't feel it's a problem. Deer are going to eat and stay accustomed to grain anyway in those areas.

Most of the "concerns" they list are basically like any RX warning label...possible side effects are far from "likely" side effects. The disease concern is always present, deer are sociable animals, eat from the same sources, drink from the same sources, exchange glandular fluids from multiple sources, etc... It's a good idea to have enough feeders and mineral sites to accommodate numbers and area, I think the rule of thumb is 1 site for every 100 acres to keep visits of numerous sites down to a minimum and disease transfer down. A well made feeder isn't going to transfer disease much, if any, more than any other deer activity.

There are risks involved though and everyone should be aware of them. We've been running multiple feeders for a while now and have had nothing but great results with them. Deer are fat and healthy and are abundant coming out of winter here.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  6. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Well said sir!!

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Do it right observe and plan according to conditions. The deer will take what they need when they need it.

8. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    sometimes I think tree huggers come up with a bunch of crap and act they are hunters or biologists to get us to read there propaganda crap. ive fed light corn rations through the winters for years and not yet ever found a dead deer in my area. I only put corn out once a week or every third day. I don't want them to only depend the corn I give them. by giving them light moderations they are forced to still find natural foods on there own. in turn I believe it is keeping their winter diet in check. but to each their own. jmo

9. Wonoma

Wonoma Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I totally agree with you. I live in a non ag area and know a lot of people that feed through the winter. I've never heard of any dead deer.

10. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome Post!