I hate trespassers

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by ShaneB22, Mar 21, 2015.

1. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Some jacka$$ shot a turkey on my property without asking. Feathers everywhere and it looks like they shot it in the tree because there's some feathers in the tree and all around the base of it too. On top of that some loggers had permission to cut some trees but I didn't think I would have to tell them not to cut the trees within 2 feet of my stand... talk about a bad day. One less turkey and less cover in my hunting spot, I'm going to have to move my stand now because I'm completely in the open. At least I got a ground blind in December I can put that to good use.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  2. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Are you sure it was shot and not killed by a predator? Bobcats, Eagles and yotes kill turkeys.

Bummer about the logging but I have heard a lot of stories like that. :( I kept telling the farmer that farmed a piece of our yard to not till so close to the lawn and for three years in a row he'd cut more and more lawn away. I eventually kicked him off that section of our field just because he could resist trying to get another couple inches of row crop every year.

3. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Turkeys are pretty stupid,might have been suicide:bow:

4. ShaneB22

Dislikes Received:
    We don't have any cats around here besides the occasional mountain lion (or cougar) and I haven't seen many eagles or hawks around, the reason I guess trespassing is because these neighbors always come on to my property. Just last year I found half an arrow in the pasture and it wasn't mine.

5. Woods

Woods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wait till they start stealing your stuff than you will really hate them. I say put trail cams 15 ft up hidden as best you can and use a python lock to secure them. Make sure the camera has a hole for it to go into or else you may need to buy a lock box. Expect to lose one or two if they see them but if you have a few up you'll probably catch them. Hopefully it's just one or two local peeps that you can catch and put an end to it. Put up plenty of signs and get word out there are no warnings just calls to the C.O. and prosecution for those who trespass.

6. ShaneB22

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a good idea. Did you just come up with this or have you had some experience with this?

7. centralwihunter

centralwihunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    One spring I had two gobblers coming in on a string. All of the sudden the two gobblers emerged from the woods and came sprinting down the field. They then lifted into the air and flew over the ditch bank. Turns out there was a trespasser hot on their trail who emerged onto our field a few minutes after. It was pretty much our last chance at a gobbler that season. I've never witnessed my dad more angry in my life. A little respect on property lines goes a long way.

8. Woods

Woods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't had any problems with theft yet but I have read a ton of threads on this website of people who have. Luckily I haven't caught a trespasser hunting yet. I did catch a guy walking through our land that was shed hunting from a camera I put 12 feet up. Good thing it was up high or he would have taken it probably out of panic from being caught. I followed his tracks to the neighbors place. Neighbor says he lets a friend walk his land with his dogs and well I guess the guy thought that meant he can jump a fence onto our piece and collect our sheds. I think he's been cleaning us out of sheds for years. Always wondered why I could never find any lol. Put an end to that, hopefully, so yeah cameras came in handy than. Amazon prime (if you have an account or know someone who does is a good place to get cameras cheap) I'm looking at black IR ones Covert MP8 or Stealth Cam g42ng for about $110. Python cable is about $17. They are small. You can get cameras half that price moultrie a5 which might kinda suck but work for a while. Or many cameras in between that price there's a camera section on this website take a look if you haven't already. On archerytalk.com there's a thread where people post their trespasser pics. It's really funny if you haven't seen it already.
    Trespasser pics?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  9. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly, there's no really no way to tell if you have predators - yotes, bobcats, foxes, let alone, hawks, owls, eagles. If was me, I rather it have been them than a trespasser, can't stand that. I wish you the best though

10. doepatrol2000

doepatrol2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok so your mad because they shot one of your Turkeys.... Guess what happened to me! Somebody broke into my little cabin and stole my 177" buck shoulder Mount(My Biggest Buck to Date) which I hunted for 4 Years( I killed him when he was around 8 Years old). I spend hours and hours working for that deer and paid huge amounts of money in feed, seed etc. When I killed him I was the happiest guy on earth. When I found out that somebody stole him I was the most pissed off guy in the world.

Sh!t happens and life goes on.

I hope you catch him. And if you do, make sure he'll never do it again! :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

Good Luck and Happy Hunting

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  11. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Owls will nail turkeys also and everyone has owls. Hopefully if it was a trespasser, you catch the pos...I hate trespassers/poachers.

12. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It could be racoons. I wouldnt jump to conclusions. Because over at my uncles place coons do attack his turkeys.

13. WiscoBowHunter

WiscoBowHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Use the reconyx dummies cams I've heard those are good decoys for trespassers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Have you talked to the loggers? Did they pay you extra for the trees they took? Tree marking paint ahead of time will eliminate "confusion".

15. ShaneB22

Dislikes Received:
    I think that if it was some sorta bird there would be some bones left behind. If it was anything else like a fox, coyote, or any other animal I don't think there would be feathers in the tree and there would be at least some blood around. I mean I'm not sure but that arrow I found in the pasture really got me going last year.

16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Could have easily been an owl kill and a raccoon or coyote took what was left of the carcass. Any spent shell casings under the tree?

17. ShaneB22

Dislikes Received:
    No but they could have picked it up. If I were on someone else's property shooting animals I would be careful to not leave any sign, but I don't because I'm not the type of person to do that unlike the neighbors.

18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would be more pissed about the situation with the logger than the dead turkey.

19. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hate trespassers too.....but honestly from your description it sounds more likely a hawk or owl to me. Did u get any pics?