Bubbles in my Quick Flechings:(

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Afflicted, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I thought I was the master at putting Quick Fletches on my arrows but after finding my arrows flying crazy, I realized I had bubbles trapped in almost all of them:( Not sure what I did wrong this time or if it was a bad batch.

My routine is, I have the water just boiling and then I'll count out 7-10 sec as I'm slowly lowering the arrows into the water, then I'll count out another 10sec and pull them back out slowly.

Question: Should I try poking pin holes in the bubbles and re-dipping them or just cut them off and start over?

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think that would probably work. I make sure I'm dipping them in at about a 45-60 degree angle and going slow to make sure the air can escape before the shrink wrap traps it.

3. bigfootcali

bigfootcali Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just quick fletch my arrows last night and I only seen one qf do that but I re dipped it in the hot water and it was gone. This how I did it i boiled the water and then poured it inone of my big coffee cups then qf them like that but at a 45 degree angle and rotating as I was dipping them and worked out good. The only thing I did was the first half of the qf I did really slow total time per arrow15 sec.

4. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    I've never heard of dipping them at an angle. Don't tell me it says that in the instructions.

Man do they fly like crap with air bubbles in them. 6-6'' off at 34yds

5. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Seems like I have always dipped at a bit of an angle because of the size of the pot I was using. Never had any problem with bubbles either but I don't know if that is the reason why.

6. bigfootcali

Dislikes Received:
    You could just pop the bubbles and re dip and see if that works.

7. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    I just can't believe all 6 of them have bubbles. I've done this many times and never had an issue in the past.

I'll try sticking a pin in them and re-dipping them.

8. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Let us know how it works, I just bought a set of quick fletches and haven't fletches them yet

9. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Didn't work:(

pin hole didn't work on the old ones so I cut them off and put on a new set and they did the same thing. Maybe I'm dipping them to slow. These are the new Twister Vanes and not sure if they're having an issue with them.

I'll call the company tomorrow.

10. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kilboars Hunt Club

11. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Didn't work:(

pin hole didn't work on the old ones so I cut them off and put on a new set and they did the same thing. Maybe I'm dipping them to slow. These are the new Twister Vanes and not sure if they're having an issue with them.

I'll call the company tomorrow.

Just read on the AT forum someone say to let the air bubbles stop in the water before dipping the arrows.

12. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I've done a boat load of QF's the only time I ever had any bubbles was when I tried to do it too fast and didn't spin them in the water. I always set the QF about 1/32" of an inch past the shaft and lower it in slowly (holding the front of the QF so it doesn't slide) until it shrinks around the back of the shaft. Then I slowly spin it and lower it in, wait for the air bubbles to disappear and slowly pull it out, spinning it all the while. The bubble in the boiling shouldn't matter. Also, the arrows shouldn't fly that much different... I couldn't ever tell a difference in POI at any distance, the only thing that happened is the bubbles cracked early. Let us know how it pans out.

13. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've found a tall insulated travel coffee cup, and a longer dip (15 or so seconds) with the gentle 'spin' that Dustin mentioned is what works for me.

I did have an older bad batch of QFs once too, stuff happens. Call the company...redo.

~Bill

14. bigfootcali

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^^ what he said 15 seconds or so at a angle in a travle mug. Thats how I fletched mine.

15. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    So I cut off the 2nd set and put on a 3rd set and they seem good. Called the company and their sending me two new sets. The guy I talked to said to pid them in a big pot that you can turn down the heat but leave it on. He lets his sit in the water while he preps his next arrow so 10-20sec. I've been using a DD plastic coffee mug.

Crazy thing is how bad these arrows flew and everyone say the bubbles shouldn't affect them.

16. bigfootcali

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know how the bubbles would make you arrows fly crazy but anything is possible.

17. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Funny you should ask. The new set of wraps just grouped 3'' low and a little to the right at 34 yards. Then I shot my non-wrapped lighted arrows and they were dead on.

I put the arrows on a scale and noticed these wraps add 16 grains of weight to the back of the arrow and with my lighted lumenock that's 28 grains total at the back of the arrow. I'm wondering if that last 16g from the wrap is just to much and should I change to a 125 grain tip now to balance the arrow? That would bring the weight of my arrows to 473g but I'm ok with for Elk.

18. bigfootcali

Dislikes Received:
    Now thats a good point I'm going to see what they do to my arrows, I shoot 400 beman ics patriot hunters with 100 grain point or mechanical also nocturnal nocks. I was curious to see how many grains these qf were.

19. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the same arrows. With the lighted nock its ok but add the quick fletch and not good. Quite a difference if you balance them on a knifes edge together.