whisker biscuit or fall away?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by bigfootcali, Mar 16, 2015.

1. bigfootcali

bigfootcali Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok so I'm a big wb fan but lately two other rest have got my attention on the qad pse version and the nap apache or maybe the new nighthawk,now I live out west and it's all spot and stalk in rugged terrain sometimes and other times not. I was looking to see what everyone's thoughts were and maybe give me the feedback I need.

2. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ive always used a whisker buiscut, so my obvious answer is that! I was thinking of going to a drop away this upcoming season, but O talked myself out of it. Best of luck with your decision.

3. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've never been a fan of the WB design or concept. I know tons of people are and have great success with them. I could never get past the fact that I'm shoving a fletched arrow threw a bunch of bristles. We strive for clean arrow flight and the idea of a WB, on a high end bow... no thanks.

I would opt for a full containment drop away for spot and stalk myself.

4. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What Grommel said, if it isn't broke don't fix it. Ive never seen a problem with my whisker biscuit so i won't be switching

5. bigfootcali

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input, I really like wb and was wanting to upgrade to the powershot model and while looking came across those fall aways.

6. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use a WB too, it's saved me a few times when my arrow hit a branch whereas in the past I've had an arrow knocked out of the rest when I bumped a branch. I like my WB but I would like to try a drop away on my next bow. It's just what you feel comfortable with.

7. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Always knocked WB...until I finally tried it...now it's on every bow in our house. For western style mountain hunting, or any hunting that could involve super quick arrow load, spot and stalk...it's hard to beat. Price, functionality, durability...I'm a fan.
    I understand why others like the drop aways so much also - the WB is just one less thing to mess with and super consistent/dependable.

Have always enjoyed this vid as some seem to think the WB won't group arrows at long range: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbefCoY71Os

Bottom line - they all work - shoot whatever makes you most confident during that moment of truth.

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    TR revolution full containment that drops away.

9. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love my Octane Hostage, all the benefits of a WB but no fletching contact.

10. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Big WB fanboy. 100% guarantee, idea for hunting and I'd rather spend time practicing or hunting than tuning a rest for 3 fps.

11. Jay

Jay Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a drop away rest...but now I want to go back to a whisker biscuit.

12. bigfootcali

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks I'm stick with wb and upgrade to the powershot wb and the pigman always gets it done love that show. Maybe my next bow ill give a drop away a shot but for now wb........

13. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am a big QAD HDX fan. I have used WB before. I shoot a lot, I also shoot a lot of helical, and I seemed to get a lot of fletching wear with the WB.

14. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had a WB for years... then switched to drop away.. had a NAP Apache and then the Rip Cord Code Red.
    I liked them both.. then one day this season I climbed into my tree and drew back for practice and heard a pop.. I looked and the chord that serves into the bottom of the rest had snapped.. just clean broke, rendering my rest useless. I did enjoy the rest, but at that point decided that I could not afford to have that happen to me if I was drawing on a deer and immediately went back to a WB. I put one of the new ones on w/ the micro adjustments and offsets. Bow was paper tuned in 3 shots and I went on to finish the season off great, not noticing any difference in arrow flight, etc.
    Keep it simple... less moving parts = less problems.

15. Woods

Woods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    On really cold days my whisker biscuit is noisy enough to spook game when drawing back. For that reason I am looking at switching it up.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  16. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly this. If I was forced to shoot a WB "style" rest. It would be something like the quick tune capture 360 or hostage series. There are plenty of full containment, fall away rests that give you all the advantages without guaranteed fletching contact.

I hunt out west as well. I've never had an issue with arrows falling off the rest or being quiet on the stalk.

17. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    So are you switching to a recurve as well? :D

18. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^THIS^

19. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have been thinking about going to a wb but wasn't sure if shooting carbon arrows through it repeatedly would slowly wear down the bristles in the bottom part of the whole. and was wondering how they perform if you hunt in the rain and then the rain freezes in the bristles. just thought it would become a solid mass that would rip my fletchings off. just had some q's and don't know much about them.

20. 5 seas

5 seas Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The WB is too noisy. I've use a containment/ drop away for a few years now. Silent and never falls out.