Shed Hunting

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by alenhard15, Mar 15, 2015.

1. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Im located in Eastern NC, went out shed hunting today and didn't find any bone. Checked the trail cameras and had a picture of a buck with antlers still on, and that was on march 9th. Anyone else experiencing this? Im starting to get impatient, this will be my first year shed hunting.

2. Woods

Woods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've found 1 in about 12 hours of looking. It can be hard. Some years I don't find any. Maybe my contacts prescription needs to be changed lol. Where I'm at i've seen bucks carrying into late March so hopefully I'll find more later on but i'm sure some d-bag will trespass and beat me to them.

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't been out yet, still waiting for more snow to melt. Maybe this week I'll sneak out once.

There's a ton of folks out there already though, just check out the shed hunting forum ---> Shed Hunting :tu:

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I found my first shed on my property in 21 years last week and I have deer there every day. March 15 is the latest I have had pics of unshed bucks. I work fire, wildland fire and as soon as the running fire is knocked down I walk thru checking for hot spots and sheds. I have recovered mule deer sheds, elk, moose, and whitetail on fires. I was in Utah in 2000 in the area where the state record elk was shot the year before, I found a massive 6 point elk shed that I gave away to a local because there was no way to transport the shed back on the plane. Good luck out there keep looking.

5. emgepi

emgepi Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can't get out yet as there's still too much snow. We don't leave our cameras out all year. During the winter, they'd probably end up getting buried if we left them at our normal height. My dad and I have always looked for sheds while turkey scouting etc., but never really put the time in until the last couple of years. We have found one each of the last 2 years. One was a crotch and one was a 5 point side. It can be tough, especially with the amount of bucks that we have in our area.

6. NantucketShedHunter

NantucketShedHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There are only two places to look for sheds. If you don't know where exactly to look you will wast a tremendous amount of time.

7. Rogue6

Rogue6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just checked my trail cams and the bucks in my area just dropped during last week so I'm looking forward to the search next weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. bry2211

bry2211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had four on my cam that still had both sides this weekend. Only found two so far but I also have pics of bucks that have shed both sides. Im going to hit it hard this weekend. I notice that while the snow was on they were hitting the left over acorns hard but now its starting to green up and they have changed there patterns a lot.

9. bossbucks25

bossbucks25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been out for a few hours looking for sheds and have found 10 so far, but also have heard that there are a few with there with headgear yet.

10. calbow

calbow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hope to get out this weekend. Good luck to everyone and have patients sometimes it takes awhile to find them. Some years I have not found any and one year we were hunting a property for elk and found several whitetail sheds in December from that spring. That was just crazy. It is also a great time to look and do some scouting before the forest gets covered in green. I will check my trail cams out and let you know if the bucks still have antlers. Good luck BHOD

11. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't been able to get out at all, the starter is out of my truck and the snow just melted enough this past weekend I can finally get under it to pull the starter out.

12. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The last buck I had still carrying antlers was back on 2/28 but I haven't been able to find any sheds yet.

13. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't personally went out yet. We just had our snow melt off as of Monday, but there looks to be a good bit on the northern faces of the mountains yet. I was planning on heading out this weekend, but with 3-6" of new snow coming tomorrow... thats won't happen either.

Is it spring yet?