Guys who shoot big (140 in +) Bucks each year

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by IAMIKE, Mar 5, 2015.

1. IAMIKE

IAMIKE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What d you think are the 3 biggest factors in you being able to routinely shoot a big buck. Obviously scent control is up there. But as far as scouting, or tactics that you use. Ive been deer hunting for 3 years, had an encounter with a 138' that i ended up taking during shotgun season. But I'm looking to step my game up to the next level. And need advice.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    To year in and year out shoot a big buck you have to hunt in an area that has big bucks to begin with.

3. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What he said.

4. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    get in undetected.
    don't give him (or any other deer) a hint you're in the tree/blind.
    wait till the time is right.
    don't hunt major trails/corridors until right before breeding takes place.
    don't set up in areas early on when does can bust you.
    get control and make the shot.
    don't push a marginally hit mature buck. they got a special will about them.

5. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Scout areas where there are a good number of 140 + Bucks
    Set up in the best area where there are a good number of 140+ Bucks, this is where hang ons come in handy vs climbers, so many more options!

Put in the time Hunting where there a good number of 140 + Bucks and chances are you will kill a good Buck.

6. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Be smart plan your entrance and exits so not to pressure them. Do your off season scouting like now to find where a buck is bedded and then leave him alone until it's time.

7. kern06

kern06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Big buck is a relative term. Each hunters definition may vary. A big buck in some areas may not even be considered shootable in others.

That being said I think time is a major factor. Time on stand (when conditions are right), time scouting both in season and off season, time practicing with your weapon of choice.

8. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would much rather hunt with and pick the brain of a guy who shoots 140+ buck every year then a guy who has killed one booner and a bunch of 120s in his career..

I scout year round...

9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What I have learned about going from shooting a 3 year old 8 pointer in the 120's to mature deer is pressure. I know where the buck beds I never intend to go there. I take care of the does keep them close and that means eliminating low percentage days sitting on stand, not easy at first to ignore opening day. Trail cameras make it harder when you get pics of a nice buck 1 day out of 10 during shooting hours. I usually have a good size group of does and fawns on the plot, I have about 2 weeks to hunt before the plot is down to dirt so it is all about timing and being there when the right buck shows up.

10. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This...... Also don't be afraid to eat tag soup before taking a smaller than what your looking for buck.
    I passed probably a 140" this year because I had already got one bigger than that for the year. If everything works out the way I plan that deer will be 170 next year.

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It is rare to be in a position that you see a 140" buck and as you watch him walk you think see you next year with any confidence. It is possible but you need a little luck too.

12. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    3 Biggest Factors:

#1 - Have the area with big bucks. This one above all else can make anyone a big buck slayer...within reason...as dumb hunters can definitely stink up or ruin a place fast. However, anyone with enough patience and above average hunting skills can slay 140's every year on the right property.

#2 - The will to overcome if you don't necessarily have the #1 mentioned above. These guys that routinely do well, often times have very few other hobbies outside of hunting. Hunting to them is a 24/7-365 kind of mentality or at least can be found weekly doing somekind of planning/scouting/researching.

#3 - Fortitude. Fortitude to stay on stand longer, get in earlier, walk farther and not give up.

13. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree completely.. My thought process is that if I shoot all 140-160's I will never shoot a 170-190. It's the chance I am willing to take. And like I said, I had already shot a 160+ for the year.. There have been several years that I would have shot that 140 all day long, and would have been extremely happy about it. Last year just wasn't that year.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  14. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think asking about 140+ deer is too specific. As someone else already mentioned, you have to have access to those caliber of deer to begin with. In some states, such as mine, its far more difficult to kill a 140+ deer routinely than it is in the midwest.

With that said if you commonly have big bucks on your hunting lands, there are a number of things that I found true.

1. Pressure. Deer in general are far harder to get close to if they have a lot of pressure. Some deer are OK with a little, while others, are not. Every buck will be different as well. But risking to find out is a bad idea. I am very fortunate to have access to the said size deer every year for the most part, though not at the numbers you find in the midwest for example. I stop checking cameras one month before our season opener and only visit the property when I hunt to keep pressure down.

2. Patience. It goes without saying really, but the fact is, big bucks are like unicorns really. If you want to kill him, you have to wait him out. Don't force it until the season is drawing to a close if you still haven't tagged him.

3. Stay the heck away from field edges. Seriously. I think its the most difficult place to hunt. Its very, very difficult to get in and out of these places without bumping deer. If you're going to hunt a deer close to a field, make sure the timing is right and that the chances of him entering that field on said day is high. For example, if you've watched him enter the field several nights in a row, etc. Don't hunt the edges on a hunch.

15. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think it depends a lot on hunting area. Do you have your own land to hunt or are you hunting public in regards to big deer? I'm lucky to have private land to hunt and I think that makes it ten times easier than if I was competing against every **** and Mary out in public. Many guys on here have a ton of success on public though. I'm guessing scouting is a bigger key to their success.

1) Spend as much time in the stand as possible. Especially in the rut. I'm not a big believer of saving stands for the perfect wind. That doesn't mean I don't pay attention to wind and choose a different stand based on wind, but if the wind is wrong for all my stands and it is the rut. I'm still going to set up somewhere. If it is early October, I'll probably wait for another day to hunt if wind isn't a good direction. Most of my stands have deer coming from 2-3 directions and sometimes all around me. Give yourself a better chance by being in the stand. Since I don't always play the wind. I'm a freak about scent control. I use all the scent elimination products knowing it won't protect me completely, but believe it helps.

2) I believe the other thing is being flexible and able to hunt the great days when a cold front comes through. Whether that is a Wednesday or Sunday. Not everyone has control over this. Guys that consistently kill big bucks are spending all day in trees or blinds on these days because they know it gets deer moving early.

3) Entry and Exit routes. Make sure to get in undetected and get out the same way. I put up a new stand this year in the middle of valley with a creek right by it. Absolutely a great spot to sit. Deer are always around there. I determined I could only get in that spot during the morning under night cover without busting all the deer out. Tried going in once mid day and I ruined a great area for the rest of the night.

My other two stands that I prefer for night sits are easy to get to on field edges and they sit in fingers that come out of two deep hollows. Most of the deer are bedded in the hollow so they don't see me. I can usually get in and out without being detected as long as I get there early. During the rut I try to sit all day because coming in mid day will probably bust deer. If I can't sit all day, I'll still come in mid day and hope to not kick deer out of these two fingers.

16. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll assume you mean mature bucks when you say 140+. For killing mature bucks, there are a several different things to consider.

1. Knowing the deer- it helps tremendously if you have access to a decent sized piece of private ground. I am fortunate to have access to a piece like this and I have a very good idea of all the bucks that use it and how each one used it differently. If you hunt individual bucks it also helps to know what the different bucks do at different times of the year. Each one is an individual and you have to hunt them accordingly.

2. Limited pressure- My wife and I are the main two people that bowhunt on the property. We have stands hung up to hunt certain winds. We do not hunt on the wrong winds or go joy riding on the ranger. We also do not hunt in the woods until the last week of October unless the cameras tell us otherwise.

3. Entry/exit- This is one of the most important pieces to me. You absolutely cannot let the bucks know you are hunting them. If they bust you on the way to or from your stand its never a good thing. If you can't get to a stand without getting busted you either need to find a different location or find a better route in.

4. Know the bedding- You need to have a good idea of the location of a bucks bed. This isn't always an easy thing to do, but at the same time it doesn't have to be the precise location of the bed. Just figure out close to where the buck beds and go from there. If you aren't sure then keep extra distance to start with and work in from there.

Different guys have different ways to kill mature bucks. These are just some of the things I do. Just keep in mind that I hunt private ground and use these tactics outside of the rut. During the rut it mainly becomes hunting doe groups and high percentage funnels.

17. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    1. Make sure you shoot a Matthews
    2. Make sure you shoot a Hoyt
    3. Make sure you shoot a Bowtech
    4. Make sure you shoot an Elite
    5. Make sure you shoot a Bear
    6. Make sure you use Rage Broadheads
    7. Make sure you use Swamp Donkey
    8. Make sure you buy food plot seed with a big buck on it
    9. The Nod-stopper is a must

Last but not least

10. YOU MUST HAVE THE BUTT OUT

All kidding aside... I think these guys have it pretty much covered above. You can't kill mature deer consistently is they are not there.

18. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think the keys are location, mobility, and bedding.