Best place for hunting elk

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by JWOAdventures, Mar 4, 2015.

1. JWOAdventures

JWOAdventures Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looking to go on my first elk hunt. I am in shape running 3 mi. in less than 23 minutes. Will try to take my first one with a bow.

Any suggestions?

2. jjs3

jjs3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got my first elk this year in my home state of Idaho, and being in shape is an absolute must. Colorado and New mexico are on my bucket list for elk, but Idaho isn't over hunted and plenty of great elk.

3. bigfootcali

bigfootcali Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I second Colorado and New Mexico. .....

4. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't focus so much on running. Get a pack and hike the most rugged terrain you can find. That will help 10x more than running ever could. Hike fast and hike steep.

5. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Best really depends....are you looking for an OTC tag, looking to draw ect ect....Now is that time of that year, seems like everyday I putting in for something somewhere.

6. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    KY if you can get drawn huge Elk and high success rates, but if you are a non-res it's easier to win the lotto..

7. JWOAdventures

JWOAdventures Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes but I'm running with a 25lbs bag on my back. With arrows and bow in hand.

8. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Most of the guys who are truly in shape for the Elk Mountains, would never utter the words I'm in shape for the Elk Mountains...

You will understand after your first trip (especially if you get the luxury of packing one out on your back).

As for where to go, are you going private land guided? public land DIY? Looking for an OTC this year or planning to build points and draw down the road?

9. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    And while I think in shape is a must.. I would also think taking a few days to get use to altitude would be an absolute must... correct?

10. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thats a major one. The altitude is a killer.

11. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep. Drink all the water you can stand also. It helps. If you start to get a headache, you just have to stop or slow way down until it passes. If you continue to push, you will suffer like no other.

12. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Everyone is different there. I have never had an issue with altitude. I went from living at 2000 ft to hiking a 14er in Colorado in the same weekend a few summers back without any problems. I did notice I was short of breath quicker than at lower altitudes... but that happened on day 7 the same as day 1, you just adjust your pace accordingly.

As others pointed out though, you won't know until you get there. It confuses me when people who have limited vacation time show up days early before season to acclimate/scout. I'd rather be learning/acclimating with a weapon in hand but that's me. Could differ on how/where you hunt I suppose.

13. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I havnt been but from what I hear if you are going OTC hunting public in Co. you will be bumping into tons of hunters in most places.

14. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My only experience is in CO - and it has worked for me as its the closest I can drive and be into elk.
    With you in Georgia...I'd guess New Mexico (random draw for tags - no points) and CO would be your best bets for driving. If willing to go further or fly - Idaho, WY, and Montana should be on your list as well to check out.

Being in shape is a great start - but after you go once (and if lucky enough to pack one out) you will realize nobody has ever said "I'm in too good of shape."

To me the mental side is what most rookies are least prepared for. If you are used to hunting whitetails and seeing deer every hunt...it can make you crazy going days without seeing/hearing anything. On top of it, you are trying to learn how to hunt a totally new and different animal - you can prepare before hand, but the best way to learn is get out and do it. Staying positive is the key.

Lastly - be the best you can be with bow and shooting on auto pilot - Elk fever seems to shake guys much worse than buck fever:)

If you only plan to go once - really do research and pick the absolute best odds location you can. If you plan to make many trips, find a suitable Over the Counter unit that you know you can return to every year if you'd like and start to really learn the area.

A bull elk at close range at eye level is one of the better rushes I've known.

Good Luck!

15. Pony30

Pony30 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Get yourself some kettle bells (I hold 35 lb in each hand) and hit the step box hard. I try do do in between every major muscle group exercise when I am at the gym 4x per week. Gets the heart pumping and conditions your legs/back for hiking up steep terrain under heavy load. Bust out 15 steps ups on each leg every time and you will feel it!