G5 Montec question.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Hoyt noobie, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Hoyt noobie

Hoyt noobie Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Have any of you guys hunted with G5 Montec, I have read reviews of poor blood trails, but they fly like field points. Would you rather hunt with muzzy or the G5?

2. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt with the G5 for the last 5 years or so and haven't had an issue with poor blood trails that weren't my fault. I've shot 6 deer that were dead within 80 yards. It's more about shot placement then the head and with that said the Muzzy is fine too either head will work as long as you make a good shot.

3. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes think less about broad head choice and more about placement and sharp blades. Either will do great. Any broadhead that has been out as long as muzzy or g5 will be a pretty good bh

4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am going to ruffle a few feathers here.

Montecs stink.

They are made of cheap injection modeled metal and the edge that comes with on them is barely passable. Then to top it off the cheap metal takes a crumby edge for the amount of work needs to get a usable edge on them.
    I think the poor blood trails are a product of the broadheads not being razor sharp.
    When you add to it the cost of them for the materials they use ...its a poor value.

A VPA is the same design and its machined out of a solid piece of tool steel. Furthermore they are the same price and therefore a better value. And if that isn't enough they are night and day easier to put a hair popping edge on.

5. HuntMaine

HuntMaine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot 3 bears and probably a dozen deer with the Montec's. Only one time did I have a marginal blood trail and that is because I hit the deer high and only got one lung. My father uses them, as does two of my friends and we have experienced nothing but good with the Montec, excellent blood trails, and easy to put an edge on in my opinion. I also have found they fly great as well. I switched to mechanicals two seasons ago, but always have atleast one Montec in my quiver.

6. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What trial153 said.....!!!!! VPA's are a LOT better made. If looking for a head lime the montecs. VPA is the only way to go.

Sent from my XT830C

7. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been in a tangle or two with the Montec vs VPA debate and here's what I've learned:

1) VPA is CNC machined from high carbon tool grade steel bar stock. Montec is injection molded.
    2) Both VPA and Montec have the same included angle on the blade. 60 deg with each bevel at 30.
    3) VPA is easier to put an edge on it, because of the carbon and iron content.
    4) Montecs are stainless steel causing you to work it more to get the same edge on it.
    5) Neither VPA nor Montec will have the surgical precision sharpness as a razor blade edge of 15 deg or so.
    6) Both VPA and Montec will retain their edge better than the 15 deg bevel.
    7) Both VPA and Montec will kill animals in both a humane and clean manner with good shot placement.
    8) Both broadheads fly well. Both broadheads are popular. Both broadheads are sold by the thousands.
    9) It all boils down to a matter of preference really.

When I buy a broadhead, I do not intend on using it again because it may get ruined or lost. So, I buy a broadhead that will do the job and is in the right price range - guess it's really a toss up since most good broadheads will run you $35 or so for 3.

I used Montec's last year elk hunting to get some real world experience with them instead of just jumping on a "they say" platform and had a complete pass through on a 6x6 at a 43 yard shot. The arrow stuck in the ground 15 ft. behind where the elk was standing. He went about 60 yds and I watched him 'gave up the ghost'. Also, Montec's are also sold in about every archery shop around the country and even some WalMart's if you are lucky. Something to think about.

Sorry for the ramble...

8. Revvv

Revvv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You can get a carbon steel Montec.

Now that I have that topic out of the way, I prefer to shoot 100gr G5 Montects.

I have a few Wasp Boss heads also. Both fly great, and both will leave a blood trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My husband hunts with the G5's...he has never had an issue. The key, like others have said, is making sure they're sharp. I use the Hellrazors - which are pretty much the same and have no problems, either.

10. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    LOL...unsharpened, straight out of the package:

...oh, and this is the exit side.

[​IMG]

11. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Impressed, really.

12. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think placement is the key. They wouldn't be one of the leaders if their products were junk. In my personal experience, in the 4 deer I've killed with a G5 (Montec specifically), none ran more than 60 yards.

13. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I personally prefer the Muzzy's, but as mentioned in some of the comments above, its more about shot placement and less about trails. If your shot placement is solid, you wont need to trail more than 60-80 yards anyway.

14. Bowhunter0132

Bowhunter0132 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used to use Montecs, but found it easier to just replace Muzzy blades, then to try to get and keep an edge on the Montec. When I did hit deer with them, I was the same as everyone else.. bad blood trial was my fault, not the head.

15. Berdo

Berdo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    In a previous thread some guy gave a long and detailed explanation of how montecs are made. It's much more complex than pouring hot metal into a mold. I've never used a VPA so I can't comment on them. But I've been able to sharpen montecs just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I used them for several years but I quit because I could never get them as sharp as I liked. I had no problem with the way they flew or anything else. If I could have gotten them as sharp as I wanted I would still be shooting them.

Blessings. ...........Pastorjim

17. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I tried them. They flew great! However I don't think I should have to sharpen new broadheads. The ones I had all seemed to be dull, Compared to most other heads I have tried.

18. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I never had a problem pulling them out of the box and shooting them. I would agree with you, Jacob, if I had to sharpen them right out of the package - I wouldn't use them. Even my "old" ones that have been in my quiver seem to be just as sharp. I only sharpen if we shoot them (animal or target).

19. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You should try the VPA's Jim. I finally listen to trial and did....lol. They are top notch. My buddy took my first pack....lol. I can shave with my VPA's....lol.

Sent from my XT830C

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015