Hunting Set-up Help

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by frenchbritt123, Mar 2, 2015.

1. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am starting to prepare for the fall. I am hunting an area of CRP (mostly small trees and switch grass) that has a main deer trail leading from a large timber to a well used deer bedding area. The deer use the trail to travel south and I must be on the west side of it with an east or southeast wind only. There are 0 trees to hang a stand and there are no other pinch points to get them while there coming to me. I feel I need to hunt this trail and it has been validated over an over while hunting and using cameras. Ground blind? Tri-pod? Have you been successful with this type of set-up? Just looking for ideas that I may have not thought of. Thanks for your time.

2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would brush a ground blind in way early.......

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My personal preference is to be in an elevated position. I do hunt some ground blinds, but I feel much more vulnerable in them. I have had several occasions where I had deer out in front of me, but couldn't get drawn on them because could hear every little noise. Once, the velcro creaked on my release and the doe went to full alert and stared right at me. I've never had that issue from an elevated position.

I personally would consider a tripod stand, but I would probably look to put up an elevated blind like a redneck hunting blind or build something on my own.

4. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Is say ground, 20 yards off the trail. No blind, just a all brush pile behind you to break up your silhouette and some brush in front of you. Makes you can see him coming through a lane then draw when he's behind the thick stuff till he gets to your shooting lane. Tripod seems so unnatural to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, natural blind with brush is how I'd go too. I've built plenty of occasional use ground blinds with deadfall and brush and they weren't bothered in the least.

6. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Tripod, ground blind, or natural brush piles will all work... use the one you feel most comfortable hunting from... just make sure to put it in well before the season... the deer will notice the change in their area and take some time to get used to it and not skirt around the new...