3 and 4 finger releases, do u hunt with one?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by GAshooter, Mar 1, 2015.

1. GAshooter

GAshooter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm currently shooting a Scott Mongoose XT and like it quite a bit but having it constantly attached to my wrist gets to be a real "pain in the stand". I keep seeing guys using a 3 or 4 finger release attached to the string and swearing it's the best change they've made in their shooting and when hunting.

Has anyone here switched? how long did it take to train yourself to shoot with your thumb? did it help with your form and consistency?

What did you switch to? Scott Exxus? True-fire? Stan? assume for the moment that cost isn't an issue...what's the best name in 3-4 finger releases? what do you look for in one? I'm assuming a 360 swiveling head and adjustable trigger but what else?

Thanks!

2. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I personally don't like the swivel heads. Don't think it will be consistently in the same rotation every shot. I've shot stan, tru ball and Scott releases. All are great. Can't go wrong with any. I'm shooting a back tension for target and I am shooting my best ever with it so I think it will be in stand with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. HuntMaine

HuntMaine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just picked up a 4 finger Stan from another member on here.. Shot with it a little bit so far, I plan on using it all summer and then deciding if I want to use it hunting or not.

4. Longstriker

Longstriker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Once I got my Stan Shootoff 4 dialed in it was a breeze to get used to. A lot of shooters like the Carter releases.

5. cdcj

cdcj Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I really liked the Carter Too Simple 3 finger I picked up last summer. My elbow started killing me but I assumed it was coaching my daughter's fastpitch softball team and playing golf. Didn't get comfortable with it in time for season. Broke it out after season a few weeks ago and elbow got to hurting to where I couldn't open a water bottle. I just assumed it was throwing and golf last year but it was the thumb release. I really liked it and like the idea of having it hanging from my loop without having to keep one attached to my wrist. I was practicing back tension to shoot in the yard with and can see why target shooters do it. Plus you can also snap shoot with it if needed in hunting situations.

6. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    After trying every handheld under the sun ...I gave up. Paranoid about losing it, don't like the click most have when you load it ...don't like when I first grab it if it's hanging on the loop when hunting...
    I am not going back to a hand held.

I shot a Rhino XT and carter RX 1 that used a bit too...the carter is great except for the click they have on the shot .

My XT is mindless for me, I just shoot it good.

7. kgtech

kgtech Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    my son (age 15) has the Scott Exxus and I use the Stan shoot off.

8. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    What were some cons you saw to using a hand held release besides the ones you mentioned. Trying to figure out if I want to use my back tension release this fall. May also use a Scott longhorn hex.

9. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    I don't like any back tension release in windy conditions and for game in open country that moves a lot ( goats, caribou, spot an stalk mulie and whitetails in the plains)
    I like to the more control of command type release in those situations.

10. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    I've gotten pretty confident shooting in the wind with mine. Do you think it would be fin for whitetails over food sources. Not much movement at all.

11. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    I think it's personal. If your confident with it that's that main thing .
    For me no matter how confident I was I still felt like it put me at a disadvantage.

12. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    I think I'll get a Scott longhorn and an exxus. Pretty same body so I can transition pretty easily.

13. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    That makes sense