braodhead Q.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jehirsh86, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Jehirsh86

Jehirsh86 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    hey everyone! I have a recurve bow that has a draw of 45# at the standard length and I draw a 32" arrow all the way so I am guessing i would then draw at around 48-50# please correct me if I'm wrong anyways the question is I am looking for a good all around broad head and i had my eye on the rage x-treme mechanical head with a 2.3 cutting diameter but all of the descritions I am reading say its for a 60#+ bow would this still work okay for my bow or would I have to go with something else and if it is the something else option what would y'all recommend preferably a 2 blade with a 2" or greater cutting diameter thanks guys and gals

2. b_walte15

b_walte15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is just me but with a recurve I would most definitely go with a fixed blade head. SlickTricks, Muzzies, and Thunderheads just to name a few

3. Jehirsh86

Jehirsh86 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    BTW I am shooting easton xx75 gamegetter aluminum arrows :)

4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

forget the Rage, in fact forget any type of mechanical heads all together. Stick with solidly built COC head. Here are fewi can think of off the top of head that are worth considering that will work well for your set up
    VPA
    Steelforce
    Magnus
    Solids
    Slick Trick Razortrick
    Muzzy Phantom
    dirt naps

5. tpmonaha

tpmonaha Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What these guys have said, don't even go with a mechanical. I certainly wouldn't in your case. I would go with muzzys, slick tricks or dirt naps...exodus is a good head too. A good COC fixed head!

6. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You want a good cut on contact head, no mechanical, with a recurve. I always like Magnus heads when I shot trad. I also used 3 blade Snuffers, but a 2 blade cut on contact penetrates great from lighter bows.

One thing, you are off on your draw weight guess if you are really drawing 32". Recurves generally gain 2 to 2.5# per inch past 28" and sometimes gain about 3 to 3.5 past 30" (called stacking, unless your bow is long enough for your draw length then it may continue at 2-2.5#). You need to get a scale and see what weight you are drawing.

7. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You aren't shooting fast enough for a mechanical. Personally, I like Ramcat broadheads. I think they would particularly helpful in your situation; if you don't get a pass through, the blades are sharpened on the back and will cut themselves back out

8. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    With a traditional style bow you would never want to hunt with mechanical broadheads because they don't have the energy needed to get enough penetration. I would say get some steel force broadheads.

9. AmericanVeteranOutdoors

AmericanVeteranOutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Def coc broadheads