Bow weight

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by backwoodsbucks22, Feb 24, 2015.

1. backwoodsbucks22

backwoodsbucks22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So im looking to upgrade to a new bow this year. Currently shooting a Mathews Heli-M.

Obviously my current bow is very light. One of the lightest bows out there. I've been thinking about it though. Despite its convenience while hunting, would a heavier bow be more accurate? I struggle with floating my pin around the target. I understand 90% of it is the user but just take the question for what it is. For instance, I shoot heavier guns better than light guns. Is it the same for bows?

I have no idea what I even want to look at at this point. Probably want to spend under $900. I figured your opinions on this question might atleast give me some direction. Keep in mind this is strictly for hunting.

Any recommendations outside of my question? I plan on shooting a bunch but need to narrow it down. Just shot the Mathews No Cam and really liked it but I do not like the long ATA as I mostly hunt from a climber. Thanks!

2. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think a heavier bow is more stable and easier to keep steady. jmo

3. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah unless you are a still hunter I don't think weight matters too much when in a stand unless it is very heavy.

4. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just use a stabilizer with a heavy weight on the end

5. MistaWondaBread

MistaWondaBread Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got a pretty light bow and ended up throwing weights on it. Once I used it enough I was used to the additional weight and my groups got much tighter at longer ranges.

6. r0scoe

r0scoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My Evo is 4.4lbs bare so it's pretty heavy. But I have no comparison so I'm comfortable with it

7. Longstriker

Longstriker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with MissionBlaze. Properly balancing your bow using front and if necessary a side stabilizer is a great way to get your bow steady. Of course I vote for the NO Cam, but if you think it's ATA is too long then I'd look at the Hoyt Carbon Spyder 30.

8. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just got the Mathews No Cam and it is definitely a heavier bow once you get the site, rest, stabilizer and any other ad-ons you want. I previously had a Hoyt Turbohawk which is was significantly lighter but I also didn't use a stabilizer. I just had one of those little limb saver things that weighed very little. Now with my now cam I have a 6" Bee Stinger stabilizer with 3 1oz weights on the end and I can attest that the heavier bow definitely helps me hold the bow a lot steadier. I am by no means a good archer either. I also think i'll really benefit from it on those windy hunting days that I tend to go out on.

I'm a smaller guy that only pulls 50-55lbs so the heavier bow is taking a little bit to get use to but its not so heavy that it is hard to handle. They definitely have the +'s and -'s whichever way you decide to go.

PS. I went and shot 3d targets this past weekend with a buddy. I cannot tell you how many guys came up and was like "Hey, so that's the new No Cam?" "How do you like it" "Wow is that nice" "Wow is that a quite bow"

9. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you were going to get a stabilizer I recommend the Doinker Carbon 3d Field stabilizer in black for hunting

10. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can't really recommend a bow, but can say my Assassin was 3.8 lbs bare, my RPM 360 is 4.4 lbs bare. They are similar ATA and the 360 seems to hold much better than the Assassin did. I always thought I liked light bows because of how far I hike in, but I really like shooting this RPM.

11. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    An advantage of lighter weight bow is the ability to add weight where you want and need it, without ending up with overly heavy set up.

That said bow geometry means a lot, and you can have bow that slightly heavier yet will not need added weight.

12. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My Martin Nemesis Nitro weighs 3.8# I have a light weight quiver and sight on it so it is still very light..