Coyote hunting questions

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bryan Jeffrey, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im new to hunting and dont really know anybody that hunts coyote. i have read as much as i can find online. but id like to know what works for you all out in this area and hopefully i can get some questions i have answered. just remember. everything about hunting is new to me. so any advice no mater how basic will be helpful.

if this helps. ill be hunting around the crestline area.

when you are using a distress call. do coyote always come from directly down wind, or just not from directly upwind?
    do certain calls only work certain times of year, or just depends on where you are at?
    how long do you usually go with your calling sequences, and how long do you wait before you call again?
    In the morning how long will you call before knowing nothing is coming in and move to the next spot or pack it out?
    what time do you usually set up for the evening hunt?
    does most any sent control work well?

i know there are coyote where i hunt. because i here them where i live. and i have scouted the areas i want to hunt and found coyote scat, tracks on very used game trails, and i have even come across a pile of bird feathers right on the trail. its just a matter of learning the right way to hunt, call, and where to set up.

2. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    getting in COMPLETELY undedected is key. that means vehicle noise.
    i don't know squat about Calif. but the basics apply everywhere.
    no, coyotes don't always come in downwind. smart/older/educated ones will likely swing to the downwind side though.
    get remote,get a good vantage point that will give you the best oppertunity for shots.
    any distress will work. save the coyote talk untill you get some kind of grasp to the whole thing.
    i never sit for more than a 1/2 hour although it is worth it sometimes. i just don't have the patience.
    scent contol "can" work but don't worry about it, hunt the wind.
    DONT overcall an area.

stay at it and it will work.
    good luck. its FUN!!.

3. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:
    what do you mean by hunt the wind?
    and if coyotes pretty much come from any direction. how can you know where to face when you setup. should i just find a location that has a steep hill agains my back?
    thank you for the reply

4. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You should join the Predator Masters forum. A ton of knowledgeable guys there that can help you in every aspect of predator hunting.

Since we're both already here: no, coyotes do not always come in from downwind - they can and will show up when and where you least expect them, just set up and be ready where you think they will come from. All different calls will work for the most part; e.g. I live in NC where we don't have any jack rabbits but they love Lightning Jack offered by Foxpro. I usually sit for about 30 mins, sometimes longer if I know there are bobcat in the area. I start off at half volume and use the same call for 5-7 mins, pause for a minute and then go with a different one for the same duration. As a last resort, I'll play coyote pup or grey fox distress. The best times to hunt are right at dusk and dawn and don't worry about scent control, you can NOT fool a coyotes nose, it is imperative that you hunt the wind. Most importantly, don't miss or get busted - they're a lot smarter the second time.

5. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:
    maybe ill check that forum out later down the road. it would be helpfull. i plan on getting my bobcat, and black bear tags this year

6. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting stuff/info posted! I too have been interested in it for awhile, it's a year round open season no bag limit on private land here in RI. I'm gonna check out that forum mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Are you bowhunting them? Ive had good luck with throwing carcasses from rabbits or animals I've trapped into a pile up wind from where they come in then hide out in a blind or up in a stand

8. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:
    Yes im bow hunting them. I dont know about the laws in CA. about baiting coyote. Its kinda a grey area. but thatnk you for the advice.

9. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed on the predator masters forum, great info there. We call predators in at all times of the day around here. Just last Saturday, I called a bobcat in to 10 yards at 11:00 in the morning using the adult cottontail distress on my FoxPro call. Too bad season ended on the 15th...

10. Lady Liberty

Lady Liberty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would join the FoxPro Furtakers Forum and see if some of the experts can help. I attended a few seminars Abner and Al gave at the Pa show and it was SO worth the time! I've been doing things a bit wrong...

scent free... go in as quite as possible.
    Do locator calls as you stop off or go by the area you want to hunt. Packs move around. If you get a response...hunt there ASAP.
    Use the wind like you ordinary would, but know they can and will come in behind you.
    Predators survive on "getting there first!" they don't sneak, they run in and take the most direct route to your call.
    If you are hunting at night, keep the light moving rather quickly. Once you spot them, stay on them.
    Most stands are 20 minutes. Start out low so as not to spook and ramp it up.
    If they aren't coming, don't be afraid to try another sound...and another...and another. They are not rational. They are merely responding to the dinner bell ringing (yeah, this one REALLY threw me!)
    Have several places you can hit in one night... if you aren't having success on one farm, they may have gone down the road.
    If you get one, don't celebrate! FOCUS! You may get a shot at another...and another...maybe another!
    If you miss... FOCUS! as they are running off, they will usually turn around to see why they are running (especially if there are more than one. I'm told the one is running just because someone else is. Eventually, they will turn to look back. That's your shot!)

Hope any/all of this helps! Happy hunting!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  11. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, thanks liberty. thats good info

12. BigPhil_H

Dislikes Received:
    Keep in mind that if you use coyote locators, you pretty much ruin your chances for foxes or bobcat. But I guess if they're not in season it doesn't really matter. Also, I would only use locator calls really early or at last light. I've never heard them howl in the middle of the day for the hell of it (except for sirens)..therefore, you would only be educating them.

13. Lady Liberty

Dislikes Received:
    Is there a particular locator you would use? I need to figure that one out... I'm really only after coyotes (particularly on one farm near me) for now...

14. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:
    bobcat are in season year round where i live. but im not getting my tags for them tell july.

15. BigPhil_H

Dislikes Received:
    I'm pretty new to predator hunting myself, this is just what I've picked up from the Predator Masters forum. Anyways, this time of the year is their mating season, so probably a female submissive howl. However, you can use just a lonesome howl, group howl or coyote yips throughout the year as they are very territorial and will either howl back or come over to investigate who's in their area

16. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    using vocals can be hit/miss.
    unless you know what you're saying, you may end up spooking more coyotes than responde.
    my advise is to just start out using a distress call. just make it sound like something is getting its legs ripped off and coyotes will come.
    starting out trying to hit home runs will only frustrate you.
    i've called in over 1000 coyotes. somedays its real easy, sometimes its tough.

17. Lady Liberty

Dislikes Received:
    Excellent! Thank you! I appreciate the info!