I screwed up.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Sota, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I bought my daughter a bow when she was in highschool she hunted 1 season. She is in college now soon to be a senior. She has not hunted since starting college, and did not shoot her bow once last summer. I have a nephew who was looking at bows and I asked him not to buy before I went with, I didn't want him to get ripped off or buy something way wrong. Well I was going to go with him last week and I told him I would give him a release that I had laying around, he asked if it was left handed because he is left handed, I had to chuckle at that. I explained to him it was his lucky day because I had a left handed bow he could have. Took him Sunday to get the bow tuned and set up for him at the local bowshop, and get him shooting. He posted it on facebook and now my daughter is a little pissed at me. I did what any Dad would do in this situation faced with my upset little girl, she is coming home for the weekend and we are going bow shopping. Anybody have any suggestions on a bow that is not an entry level bow.

2. r0scoe

r0scoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Geeze, you should know better by now that you don't EVER get rid of something that belongs to a girl without her permission. Wife, daughter, cat, doesn't matter

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It's a two for 1 kinda deal, I even got "the Look" from the Mrs.

4. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I sent you a PM.

5. r0scoe

r0scoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Your heart was in the right place but they don't care.

I got the silent treatment for days becuase I through out the step-daughters blue hair elastic that I found under the couch in a room she hasn't been in for months (even though she has 4 or 5 different blue ones).

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Going to see Tom at the show this weekend, get me some mineral too.

7. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Too many variables to make a suggestion: price, draw weight, draw length, target or hunting...Just let her shoot some.

I gave my nephew a bow last summer (my 2013 Bowtech Assassin) and my niece got mad at me because I built her a longbow when I was still making bows but she thinks I should have giver her my Assassin too (apparently I am only allowed to give bows to her LOL).

8. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Might as well get yourself a new one since you will already be there!

9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have been kicking around the idea of getting a new bow....

10. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not your fault, it's the nephews fault for sharing! ;)

Hopefully daughter will want to get involved again once her senior year is complete. Have fun shopping (for two bows)!

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hopefully she will have time once she graduates, then my taxidermist bill will double. First time sitting in a tree hunting she passed on a 6 point buck, too small and dumb she said.

12. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly I would just try to put it off till she does graduate. Promise her that you will get her a new bow but instead of it sitting for another year unused and not being positive that she will shoot upon graduation no reason to have it sitting around collecting dust. Chances are after graduating she will be swamped with finding a job, getting a place, etc... Might actually be a few years till she is ready to start shooting again.

13. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You are nicer then I am! I just would have told her tough, she hasn't used it in X years... :p

14. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    my son would be the same way..

We bought him a brand new PSE Bow Maddness XS..He hunted with it once and shot it maybe 100 times..told him I was going to sell it and he had a fit...lol

bought my wife a new PSE Fever one this year and she loves it...fast easy to draw and light...

15. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I do think part of it is the fact that she doesn't have the time to hunt, and I suppose she may have thought that I was giving up on her hunting. I had a buck early season that was very consistant, I knew where he was coming from and he was on his feet an hour before dark pretty much every night. I sent her pics and asked her if she wanted to come hunt, I had the bucked nailed down for her. She said she wouldn't because she had not shot in a long time. I don't give my daughter everything she wants but if she wants a new bow she is getting a new bow.

16. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well if price doesn't matter then the Mathews Chill SDX is a good one but if you want something mid priced get a Bowtech Fuel $399 without RAK package and $499 with RAK package. Just my opinion but if the Fuel isn't good enough then I would give her bow back to her and give your nephew a new Fuel, that's what I would do.

17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My daughter is not spoiled like that where she would have an attitude about the bow I buy her. Also she would not bring a Matthews into my house, plus the back window of her car isn't big enough for a Matthews sticker.:lol:

18. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You're not a Mathews fan are you. I prefer Mathews to most bows but I'm not really a brand loyal guy, I would shoot any brand of bow accept Alpine. But if I had to choose one brand to stay with forever it would be Parker.

19. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am not anti Mathews, I was kidding. I love my daughter but she really does not need a high end bow.:lol:

20. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The local bowshop sells Parkers, I may have to check them out. Can't beat local support of what they sell.