New String Price

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by mab, Feb 23, 2015.

1. mab

mab Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I really need to have a new string put on my bow. It is a 2010 model. To my knowledge, it has the original string on it. My 'fairly' local pro shop makes their own strings. They use the BCYX.? Which I have heard a great deal about. According to the pro shop, it is a 24 hr. process. As they stretch it first. The one thing that is killing me here is the price. They want $120. I guess that includes all of the serving, peep sight and d-loop. Is that is bit high or is that right on about the average? I would love to buy a string from Hutch, the only problem is, I would have to take my bow and string to a pro shop to have it put on. Even more cost.

2. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Since you have to have the shop do it and that includes the string and tying in accessories, that is a pretty normal price. I bought my own press because I shoot so much I change strings once sometimes twice per year and I couldn't see paying that every time. My local shop charges $130, I am saving about $65 per set doing it myself. I started with a Bowmaster portable with split limb adapters and now have an LCA EZ Green inline press. But the cheap one worked fine for strings until I got a past parallel limb bow.

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A good custom string/cable set will run you 75 or so ....so 50 for the install. Take a look at the shops hourly rates and fees...It may pay to buy a set on your own and then have the shop install it. Honestly if it takes more than an hour for an install, I would worry.

While 120 isn't outrageous, I seen it a little cheaper to honestly...

4. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    30 bucks for main string about 70 for a set depending on material. i have bcy x and it works just fine. Scheels here does all bow labor for free. And a lot of places have put on main string for free because it's not too time consuming. if you are going to be doing this on a regular basis it might be worth your money to get a press to do it yourself. Tying in peeps and d loops are fairly easy

5. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's about what I paid for Winners Choice strings to be put on my Hoyt.

6. mab

mab Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To comment further, I would love to own my own bow press. I have been successful at serving my own peep. Would not be a problem. I do realize that pro shops will install the string on your bow for free. That is 'if' you purchase a string from them. In my opening post, I mentioned that if I bought a string from Hutch, I would still have to pay to have it installed. Unless of course, I had my own bow press. Thanks for all of the replies. I guess that price isn't too terrible. After getting a new string put on, I guess my next adventure would be to purchase a bow press in the future.

7. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That is pretty darn close to what I paid last year. I bought arrows at the same time so I really don't remember the exact price on the new strings\cable, loop, peep, and install.