Is it worth keeping?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by treyman654, Feb 18, 2015.

1. treyman654

treyman654 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hello all,

Alright so for my birthday this past September my wife got me a used Bow (A Jennings CK 3.5) yes I know it is an old bow...however I am new to bowhunting so I knew nothing about it. Anyways I used it this past season here in Missouri and was unable to manage a kill with it (buck was never found). So here I am trying to figure out what some of my issues could be as far as my shot consistency. Now I do know for a fact that my draw length is too long for me and unfortunately I did not discover that until a few weeks ago.

Also, because I didn't know much about it I just figured it was good to shoot. Well, having thought about it I have no idea if the string has been replaced at anytime during its 10 or so years of age. when i got the bow I went to a pro shop and basically had a peep sight installed in the correct location for me.

My plan, (should I choose to do so) is to go to a local archery shop and have the strings replaced, corrected to my actual draw length, and install a new rest & sight and tune this thing for me.

However, with its age I have tossed the idea around of just going and purchasing a newer model bow and getting that tuned for me. My wife on the other hand, because she was the one who paid for it feels as if I should use it for a while before I go and purchase a new one.

Here's where you all come in, is it worth keeping and maintaining the bow? should I just scrap it and start fresh?

Let me know your thoughts/concerns/questions. Thanks.

Here are some pictures of the bow. I tried to get good pictures of the strings but all the pictures were taken with my cell phone.

IMG_20150218_183702792.jpg IMG_20150218_183715847.jpg IMG_20150218_183728680.jpg IMG_20150218_183738865.jpg IMG_20150218_183745168.jpg

2. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Personally, I wouldn't put any money into that bow. I'd get something newer if you can afford to. Her heart IS in the right place!

3. treyman654

Dislikes Received:
    Is it because of its age? the quality? (based on what you can see of course). I am going to need to build a case with this woman!

4. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know your situation or how mean your woman is.......
    If it was ME I would get a newer bow. Technology has came a long way.
    Or just tell her it broke?????
    On the other hand it will kill any deer you want.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  5. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I see nothing wrong with that bow... those bows killed lots of deer and it still will. Hard to really tell by the pics but the strings don't look too bad, maybe need some wax but.... If there is a DL issue and it cannot be altered easily then you may need to think it further. In which case hang that Purdy bow on the wall or sell it to me :)

6. treyman654

Dislikes Received:
    She isn't mean, but it was her hard earned money, (I do not know what she gave for it) and since I have only had it for 6 months or so it is still new to her and thinks that it is perfectly fine to use.

7. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It IS perfectly fine to use provided you can adjust to the correct DL

8. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would keep it since she bought it for you, but I would buy another bow. You need to explain to her how important the CORRECT draw length is for an archer using a bow. For example, if you bought her glasses to big for face, it would be such a hassle whenever she wore them. Why? Because every time she moved the would fall off her face. She would have to get them adjusted to fit her face. Yeah she can use them, but the hassle of them being the wrong size messes things up and makes them less effective. Being that this bow is so old, you more than likely won't be able to get it adjusted to fit you. Tell her you owe it to the animal you hunt to make a clean, quick and ethical kill. This bow has ALREADY proven that you can't do that. If you bought her a ring that is too big, she would constantly be worried if she was going to lose it. Same thing with using this bow. You have to constantly worry if you are going to be able to make a good shot on a deer with it. Bowhunting is hard enough and having equipment not fitted for you makes it even harder and more frustrating. I hope this helps!

9. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I really doubt you will find a cam to properly adjust the draw length. Nothing wrong with old bows but a bow needs to be fitted properly. If it is only 1/2" you can adapt. Any longer (or shorter) than that and you may have some issues.

10. treyman654

Dislikes Received:
    Good Point, I will let her know. Thanks.

11. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Brother, might I suggest using it for the upcoming season i 2015. Have it fitted to you, re strung, etc. Your wife bought you the bow, enjoy it!! Then after you kill your deer with it next season, step it up and if its in your power to buy a new bow, then do it!! Best of luck with it brother, and let us know your decision.

12. mikerock85

mikerock85 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Id dry fire it till it did brake and then u have an excuse to tell her... well not that it was on purpose. Not sure your financial statis but everyone is correct I would look into something newer but you really should get measured and get a new bow thats tunned proper for you. I remember my first compound. It wasnt anything great either but it did the job for the first year till I went and got a new bow. Of course that was a long time ago and I juat got my new hoyt and im in love with it.

13. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Take it to a bow shop and have them check it out. They will be able to tell you if the draw length can be adjusted and if it is in good shape. Decide after that. Good luck.

14. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Jennings is out of business but it's a good bow, DL can be changed with a mod if you can find someone that has the right one. If wife or money are an issue it will work just fine with a mod and new strings.
    My wife still has the CK 3.1R and kills a deer or 2 with it every year.

15. choppersk61

choppersk61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Unless it was cracked and unsafe to use...I'd keep it!

At least for a year... Or until you get your first ''kill''.
    Then keep it as a back up in case something happen with your next bow the day before opening season.

It was the latest and greatest at one point when it came out. And it looks pretty good from the pictures.

It is important that it fits you however, draw length is very important, have it fitted to your size.

Given that you are new at bow shooting, learn on it. A new bow will not give you better shot consistency.... practice will!

Besides, if the wife spent time and money finding you anything to go hunting, appreciate I and don't get caught up in the ''newer is better'' hype...

I started with a 1994 BEAR ''something''... that was a 14 years old bow.

Because of that first bow, I mostly bowhunt.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  16. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    nothing wrong with bow and unless you are just itching to spend big $$ on a new one, I would get it to good pro shop and check it out get the draw set right check the string if it needs one replace[still cheaper then a new bow] put some good accessories on it get some quality arrows and start shooting..

17. early in

Dislikes Received:
    Do not do this!

18. mikerock85

mikerock85 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lol it was joke...

19. early in

Dislikes Received:
    I sure hope so. lol The reason I kind of jumped on that was because the OP mentioned how new he was to this, and I didn't want him taking what you said literally, and getting hurt.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  20. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That bow would have killed a deer the year it came out and it'll kill a deer now. Nothings changed, just peoples idea and taste. All you need to do is learn a little more about the bow, draw length, draw weight, arrows and your form. That bow will become a killing machine after that.

If you want a new bow and have the money for it, there's nothing wrong with that. But there, also, isn't anything wrong with that bow.