Hunting Arrows

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Sota, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Curious as to what other hunters purchase every year as far as arrows. I buy complete new set ups before every season. I buy 6 arrows take the best 3 and buy new nocks and broad heads. At the end of the season the left over arrows go in the practice bucket. I know many of the fixed blade guys reuse the heads but what about arrows?

2. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used the same Easton Bloodlines since the end of 2012 and I even went so far to use the same arrow on both of my deer last season. I gave it a thorough cleaning and inspection (including flex test), I replaced the blades on the Exodus, and then right back into the number one spot in the quiver. I did retire it after shooting my buck but only because a vane ripped off inside as it passed through and I figured it was time lol.

I buy my arrows a dozen at a time and I shoot a lot. I shoot year round a few days a week unless the snow isn't too deep. I flex test every arrow before each shot. Before they go in my quiver for hunting I spin test them and shoot them at a variety of ranges to ensure each arrows flies well so there are no surprises in the field. I keep my old blades and use them as practice blades.

I tend to buy a dozen every 2-3 years depending how fast they wear, break after passing through deer, etc. If I change bows and need a different spine or decide I want to change the weight, I will change arrows sooner.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting, I tap test mine. I keep my arrows in a 5 gallon bucket in the garage when I take an arrow out I tap the top of the bucket with the arrow it tells me if the arrow is cracked or a tip is loose.

4. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a dozen easton FMJ's last summer. I think I'm down to 5, with only one kill...lol

It's from practicing. I practice so many different scenerio's and weird angle shots in my yard from treestands, so i go through quite a few arrows.

5. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I buy 3 or 6 arrows almost every time I go to local bow shop, not that I go very often but I think I'm up to around 25-30. I usually keep the same arrows in quiver for hunting until I shoot something with one then it goes on the wall. Usually don't even use it for practice.

6. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use 2 kinds of arrows during the year. I use Carbon Expres Maxima Blue and also Easton Bloodlines. I like the idea of you "tap testing the shafts, gonna use that. Really, I love the way both sets of arrows fly, no issues with either. Gun to my head, I go with my Bloodlines!!

7. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Practice makes perfect!!

8. GhostRack

GhostRack Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Before last season i had couple dozen gold tips n couple dozen radial weaves..make a kill n they get retired for practice if there still in good shape..last yr with new bow i bought bloodlines..dozen of em..hf of them are jus for practice..always retire after kills...

9. Drawdown

Drawdown Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just so happens I bought 6 new arrows this morning. PSE Carbon Force STL Hunter's. I still have 10 of the 12 I got last year. Was thinking I might try for a turkey with my bow, so may start practicing soon.

10. Longstriker

Longstriker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use Beman ICS Hunter Patriot 400 arrows. They have cool graphics, are super straight, and very durable. I also like that they're made in the USA.

11. Ventilator

Ventilator Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use them until they break, or of course, they have some kind of damage that makes them dangerous.

Had one last year that had 5 kills on it until it broke on the 6th. I mark it with a red Sharpie on each kill, just for the fun of keeping track.

I can't stress enough to flex and check each arrow after each shot, and look at them real close when you hit and animal with them, or bang nocks at the target. When in doubt, cut it into pieces and throw it out.

V

12. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use Beman ICS hunters. I haven't bought any new ones in a few years, so I'm due for another half a dozen.

13. almightynut

almightynut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think year Im going to try for a heavier arrow. Not sure which ones or what kind yet but I think I'm done with lighter arrows. And I am going to turn up my draw weight about 6lbs.

14. Drawdown

Drawdown Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ventilator, 5 kills made it a flying ace. Should've retired it on that one!

15. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I buy arrows as needed. I can usually get a couple years out of a dozen if I'm smart and not shooting groups. I typically reuse arrows I kill deer with. Clean them, inspect them and get them ready to go.

As for brands. I honestly don't look anymore. I shoot Gold Tip Pro Hunters and haven't found anything that I liked better in years.

16. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424045344.984364.jpg

It's not uncommon for me to have about 10-15 dozen shafts on hand. I build arrows as needed. The picture above are just some loose ones I have laying on the bench.