Iowa Youth Non Resident Deer License Question

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Lester, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know Iowa charges more for a non resident deer license and I get it but I was looking at the youth non resident deer tag and it is almost the same amount. Hell last year I paid $50 for my son to get just a preference point for Iowa. I bought an actual deer license for him in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Missouri and paid less than $75 total. A number of other states surrounding Iowa also sell non resident deer licenses at a much reduced price. I never thought they were being greedy until I saw the cost of the youth license at around $500.

My question is did I look this up wrong or is it really that expensive for a youth tag?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  2. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    License is $32 not sure how much non resident tag is.. Resident is $28.50

3. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For an adult by the time you are done buying all of the different licenses so you can deer hunt it is around $600. It looks to me that the youth is about $500.

4. davidingle

Dislikes Received:
    Do you have to buy anything besides a license and tag?

5. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You have to buy a number of different licenses to deer hunt as a non resident.

6. davidingle

Dislikes Received:
    The license requirements for nonresidents are: nonresident hunting license ($112.00), nonresident habitat fee ($13.00). For deer, you will also need the general /mandatory antlerless deer tags ($426.00). The total for applying for a deer tag will be $551.00 plus applicable fees. Thats from the dnr website. So I would guess instead of the $112 license for an adult it would be $32 for youth.

7. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So my question is are all of the other costs the same and the only discount price is the $38 from $112.

8. davidingle

Dislikes Received:
    The license requirements for nonresidents under the age of 18 are: nonresident under 18 hunting license ($32.00), the nonresident habitat fee ($13.00). For deer, you will also need the general/mandatory antlerless deer tags ($426.00). The total for applying for a deer tag will be $471.00.00 plus applicable fees. Also from the website

9. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That is what I thought but really I add the preference point of $50 in there. I can buy 25 youth non res deer tags in Wisconsin for the price of 1 non res youth tag in Iowa. I think the state is being pretty greedy there!

10. davidingle

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I never realized it was that much

11. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's cheap for me to hunt Iowa! Lol. The non resident cost here is a joke. I paid the same amount for my Colorado elk license last year then someone who wants to hunt whitetails in Iowa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is tough one because we are referencing kids. I understand were your coming from in regards to the lack of parody, however the lack of parody is what make Iowa such desired a destination in the first place.

If that wasn't the case then where would they stop? Over the counter tags for all non residence hunters like there neighbors? If you going to match prices of tags for youths because your looking for parody why stop there.

13. stro1965

stro1965 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Last time I suggested that Iowa was greedy towards non-residents I was practically attacked by those defending the money grab. I think it's ridiculous that I grew up there, moved 2 miles into Nebraska and have to pay that much to go home and hunt with my dad. I can afford it, I just refuse to pay their ridiculous fees. Hunting in Nebraska is just fine and WAY cheaper for my dad to hunt over here as a non-resident.

14. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Like I said I understand what they are doing with the high tag fees. I just don't understand the high price towards kids.