mount with different cape

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Shane0709, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am considering mounting my first buck with a bow, but I don't have the cape. I know you can mount a buck with different cape, but does it feel the same? Has anyone ever done this before, and do you look at it and notice that its not your cape? I have a European mount of this buck, how well fitted will this buck look? I guess what im asking is does it look like a nice match or are some parts of the mount lower quality.
    Lets hear some feedback!

2. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As long as you get a clean cape, the quality of the mount will be determined by which taxidermist you use. You wont see much difference in the new cape as long as you get one from the same area that your deer was taken.

3. HuntMaine

HuntMaine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Unless your bucks original cape has a distinct mark or the new cape has a distinct mark, how would you possibly know that it's not the original cape... You wouldn't.

4. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The first buck I had mounted has a different cape on it, and it looks just like all the other shoulder mounts on my wall. You would never even think it wasn't the original cape unless I told you. Just make sure the pedicle size is the same and it will be just fine.

5. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    not a problem I my mind ,

I killed a 8pt a few years ago with my bow wasn't a monster and decided not to mount so I cut the horns off... several years later I decided I should have mounted him because he was my best bow buck at the time, called my taxi he had several capes and he mounted it for me.. It looks great and I know I have a memory on the wall..

Also keep in mind if you have a mount long enough at some point you might want to remount due to age or other issues,at the point you will have to use a different cape..

[​IMG]

6. Invisible man

Invisible man Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would try to age match the cape to the deer you took . I mean look at the pics, if he has an old grey looking face I would try to match that. But with out pics no one can tell one from another.

7. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's pretty common to use a alternate cape. Size of the cape usually coincides with age.

8. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's done all the time...it's an non issue. Go for it.

9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have given away capes from bucks I have had euroed. It's pretty common.

10. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely have to agree with the rest of the guys it is very common for people to use other capes!! Go for it!!

11. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I know a lot of people do it and it looks great when they do. Only thing is you have to make sure you get a nice clean cape. If you really want it mounted, then don't let this be what stops you.

12. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree completely, it's a non-issue. I had a replica made of a buck I named OMG back in early 2014 after a neighbor shot him off our shared fence line during first day of rifle season. The taxidermist I used that did the replica antlers had lots of capes (for sale of course) and he did a shoulder mount with fake antlers and a donated cape and it turned out perfect...best mount in the house actually. People can't tell it's a replica (completely fake). I tell them of course it is a replica of a deer that we grew and was shot coming off our property but it looks awesome just the same. The replica guy picked out a good cape that had good color and roughly matched the trail cam pics of the deer I gave him. He knew what the hell he was doing from A-Z and that's worth a lot.