Why bowhunt or die is the best hunting show...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Joe Bear, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Joe Bear

Joe Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know this has been discussed before but I recently downloaded a number of hunting show apps for my roku and began watching them. I'm afraid bowhunt or die has really spoiled me as viewer. The quality of these other shows is terrible. One might have good camera quality but terrible sound quality. One might have good sound quality but terrible video quality. Of course a lot of them have both terrible sound and video quality. Then on the rare occasion that one of theses shows has good video and sound, the host has no personality.

In addition to the great quality that you guys pull off here, I really appreciate the journey that you take us on with a good mix of pro staff interviews followed with commentary from Todd and Justin. You guys really have a gem here. I got a go pro for Christmas and I'm saving up to get a camera close to what you guys use for your hunts. Hope to maybe start up a YouTube channel or something and see if there is anyone on here that has already done that or is thinking about doing it this year? Just wanted to thank you guys for all the hard work you do here. One thing I failed to mention was video editing because I know very little about it. I imagine it's difficult because most of these other shows have poor editing and terrible transitions.

2. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's a very good online show, but far from the best hunting show. Just my opinion.

3. MistaWondaBread

MistaWondaBread Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like Bow hunt or Die. It's a good show. But when you talk about good hunting shows, MeatEater and Jim Shockey's Uncharted top my list, then it's followed by BHoD.

I don't have anything against BHoD, but it's just a lot of the same stuff, guys sitting in treestands bow hunting deer. Don't get me wrong, I've watched every single episode, and they put out quality stuff, but I'd like to see some spot and stalk, as well as some other big game hunting.

4. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I like BHOD but when it comes to the best all around show, I would go with Bill Winke's Midwest Whitetails. I love all the episodes where they explain why they did what they did.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Anything edited is tainted in my opinion, I trust nobody that puts together a show it is not genuine. Sorry my opinion I hunt for myself not willing to share via video. When you hunt for the camera you hunt for approval of others.

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Well first off, thanks for watching and for enjoying the show. :tu:

As for being the best show out there I personally think we've still got a ways to go. Although I'm not sure our goal is really to be the best in the big scheme of things. I don't foresee us going on Jim Shockey type hunts, having access to the same types of farms (and time) as Bill Winke, or shooting as many star-lapses as the HB guys. :D We're just trying to do our best to put together a team of real world bowhunters who enjoy filming and sharing their experiences with others.

There's a lot of things I'd like to do better in the future and I believe each year we get a little better. I think we're far from the best but I'd certainly put our production up against 80% or more of what you see on TV these days.

We're working on expanding our team into new areas and showing some new stuff for this year so if anyone lives out West or down South, has experience filming, and is interested in joining the team send me a PM.

Thanks again guys. :rock:

7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    That's painting with an awful broad brush my friend. If I hunted for the approval of others I would have let a few arrows fly this year that stayed securely affixed to my bow string.

8. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Well, we could do an unedited show and you could watch it for 24hrs/day 7 days a week and not see the whole thing before the next one starts.

You "trust nobody that puts together a show because it isn't genuine," but you trust tv ads, radio ads, magazine ads, car salesman and the government... as well as 25,000 people in an online forum... that makes sense.

We don't hunt for the camera, we hunt WITH the camera, for ourselves... the same way you do. I certainly don't need your approval or anyone else's when it comes to hunting, I do it for myself. I'm pretty sure we all hunted before there were cameras and there will be a day when we hunt without cameras. :D

9. Joe Bear

Joe Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

I'm not sure I follow you on that. Why be on this forum then? Doesn't this website draw attention to the people that started it and the purpose for which they mean it to serve?it is constantly being edited and updated, does that mean that it cannot be genuine and if not why are you on it? I hope that doesn't come off as mean or rude but what moral difference is there between editing the text of the content that makes up this website and editing the video episodes? And on what grounds can you stand on where the videos on this site are tainted, yet you continue to participate and support the website through the forum? Seems hypocritical to me. Also, just like the forum and the articles, the videos are very helpful and informative in my opinion. Teaching, regardless of whether through a forum, article, or video should be done and presented well to be successful and have the biggest possible impact.

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry and it isn't meant to offend, just my reason for not watching. I guess a lot of the other trash that has been put out there has jaded me. I simply do not enjoy watching people hunt or fish.

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I am an odd duck when it comes to shooting deer. This year I took 2 pictures of my buck, actually I took 1 and my wife took 1 of me with the buck. I had a friend come over to see the buck and talk about the hunt. He brought his camera and suggested that I take the buck down and bring it out in the yard put on my camo and pose for better pictures. I thought that was a little odd I have no desire to pose with a deer so I can send better pictures to people. I told him I don't need/want pictures that I will get to look at that buck every day. Then again I don't do face book or social media, just forums. I would not have posted my pictures of my buck here but my daughter posted a picture on the facebook so the cat was out of the bag.

12. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    it is one of the better as far as Internet based shows go there are two others that come to mind Midwest whitetails and Growing deer TV are also as good growing deer TV may be better based on the information value and it's not strictly a hunting show..

Over all most all Cable or satellite based hunting shows have really stepped up their games as far as Videography and audio quality some rival what we used to get on the best nature shows.....

13. Merc7731

Merc7731 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I watched every episode from first to last the past few months while deployed overseas. I have to say that I enjoyed watching this show more than others strictly because of the prostaff. The Bowhunt Or Die crew are just regular, hard working folks that hunt on the weekends or whenever they get the opportunity. They don't do this for a living, it's their passion and they do whatever hey can to share it with all of us!! This is what makes the show special for me.

I will personally continue to promote the show to all of my family and friends that hunt because I believe you guys portray the true sense of what we hunters go through every single year. The good, the bad and the ugly. I especially enjoy how you show the mistakes and then discuss them so everyone can learn from them. You guys just keep up the good work and I will be always be fan. Who knows...I live down south and hunt hog, turkey and deer, so maybe you will even get a prostaff application from me. LOL

14. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Merc, thanks for your service (as well as all the military guys). It's stuff like what you just said that makes packing all the camera gear to the tree worth it.

15. MistaWondaBread

MistaWondaBread Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

I did the same! Crazy! I found out about BHoD on my last deployment, and it was one of the things I looked forward to every week. Helped me get through those long work hours, "Ok, just 8 more hours and I get to watch BHoD."

16. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I enjoy the show because of the nature of it and the nature of the crew. I absolutely can't stand the Dbag types that you can tell spend more time in front of a mirror trying to develop a marketable "persona" (that reminds you of a greesy used car salesman than a hunter) than they spend shooting a bow or sitting in a stand studying animals. I'd prefer a guy that goes out and shows a good hunt and keeps his mouth shut than a smart a** guy like many I have seen on TV over the years.

I appreciate a good dose of authenticity in products I use or shows I watch. The guys that go out and shoot fenced in animals (and let on like they are free range) or the guys that make terrible shots and only recover due to having thirty bush beaters or a week of searching and edit it like a ten minute surprise walk up to a dead deer with a great shot along with a sickening round of 'boo-ya's and hell yeah's' make me sick.

17. NateJR_PABOWHUNTING

NateJR_PABOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a big fan of BHoD, because unlike most other hunting shows, I can relate to most of it. Hunting Whitetail and Turkey with the occasional Coyote encounter is right up my alley. Most of the BHoD teammates also hunt in a lot of the same fashion I do, I don't have the nice food plots or these big farms to hunt on or all the expensive equipment to self film (YET), but it's still a breath of fresh air watching this show after watching the canned stuff they put on the Outdoor Channel. BHoD basically consists of your average people sharing their passion. The average hunter goes out scouts, sits in their treestand/groundblind and hopes the big buck they got on camera walks in front of them. Most of these shows on TV these days are done on private reserves, these people/their sponsors are paying big money to shoot big animals on camera and that's not what hunting is about IMO, nor does it really interest me. It's just personal reference, but I could really care less about watching a spot and stalk hunt or any type of hunting that doesn't really relate to me, especially if the hunts are taking place on private reserves for animals I'll never encounter in my life. I'm content and get all the enjoyment I'm looking for in a hunting show watching BHoD.

18. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am not piling on because I am firm believer we are all entitled to our opinions. But you can tell you have not watched BHoD. They do not doctor it up for approval, they show all the good and bad. I have cringed more than once on shots they showed that I never would have taken in a million years and I wondered why they even aired it. Then I realized because they are staying true to their promise of showing the hunts how they happen. I applaud them for that and it has made me a fan of the show.

19. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not critical of the BHOD crew at all, I simply do not enjoy watching other people hunt. I am critical of the TV or "professional" hunters I think the industry is tainted and an insult to the intelligence of the people that watch it. I am sure there are some TV hunters who are fine upstanding people but I am still not watching. Heck I would not watch video of my own hunts much less somebody else.

20. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can respect that. I went through a phase (for lack of better word) when I was hunting with trad that I didn't take one single picture of my bow kills. I wish now that I did so I would have them. As I get older my memories fade a little, pictures would have been nice. I feel the same about video. My friend video'd my first bow kill this past season, Ohio doe. I have not watched it yet but I like the idea of having it to remember the hunt by.