Arrow help for my girlfriend...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by bgusty, Jan 20, 2015.

1. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So my girlfriend has decided to make the jump into bowhunting. She has gunhunted for years, but the other day we pulled the trigger and found her a good deal of a bow on eBay.. Now my question is what arrows would you all recommend? She is a 28 or 28.5" draw length (she's tall).. and I am guessing she will probably hunt with her bow around 40-42 pounds. She has only shot the few times at different shops, so right now she is shooting low 30's for draw weight.

One pro shop suggested she shoot a small diameter shaft for the bump in penetration. Is that a good idea? Unnecessary? What weight would you guys suggest? With her setup I believe she will need a 500 spine. Any specific arrows you all would recommend? Trying to not break the bank here. If anyone has any experience with the Deer crossing archery SD arrows I am especially interested in hearing about that. Lastly, can my Arizona EZ fletch work on small diameter arrows? Thanks all.

2. MistaWondaBread

MistaWondaBread Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd recommend some Gold Tip Expedition Hunter arrows. They are cheap, so if she breaks or loses a few whilst shooting it won't break the bank, but they are also very good for the price, and they can take a beating as well. I wouldn't move to a higher priced arrow until she has some experience shooting. I did the same thing for my buddy who was getting into archery, and we were able to get 6 arrows cut to length and inserted for $38. He started at 45# and was able to drop a deer in his first season.

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great!!

Yes you can use your mini with smaller diameter shafts.

On to a hunting arrow for your girlfriend. A small diameter is a very good idea.

28/40 great specs lol
    I would build a moderate weight small diameter arrow and use a good COC head.
    Take a look at these. You can get a dozen shafts on eBay for less then a hundred dollars.

500 gold Tip Kinetic XT. 50 grain brass hits and 100 grain COC ( VPA, Phat heads, Magnus Black hornets)

4. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The Deer Crossing SD arrows are great but even if the chart recommends a 500 spine I would shoot a 400. It just gives the arrows a more consistent dynamic spine.

5. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I only have a 24" DL but last year I hunted with the smaller diameter VAP arrows. I practiced with them on numerous occasions before going out, however I was not too keen on them. The archery shop I used to go to recommended them due to low draw weight and my draw length. The new archery shop however has put me in to Beman arrows. I think they are the junior series which are up to 40 pounds (I need the next set up as I am over that now). So far I like these better. They penetrate my target bag more than my smaller ones. I am shooting a mission craze. The VAPs were 500's.

6. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Deer Crossing sd are great arrows and not to hard on the wallet. Plus they are custom

7. cocowheats

cocowheats Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Girls are not allowed to hunt. Jk. But seriously no

8. bry2211

bry2211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you look up bloodsport arrows they have a nice chart and explanations of what all the numbers mean. Bloodsport | Technical It really helped me understand what you should shoot and the reasons behind it.

9. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Best set up in my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    At the specs you stated a 500 spine is about right. I would really just shoot what you can afford arrow wise. The broached should be a good cut-on-contact head like recommended above due to the 40#. So what trial153 suggested is definitely a good choice if it is in your budget.

11. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The day I find a use for a bow in the kitchen is the day my wife will get one.

Good luck to you sir. May the Lord have mercy on your soul.

12. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Haha if she can hunt half as well as she cooks I am going to need a bigger freezer. And a bigger belt.

13. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Couple questions: First, do the Kinetics use a standard thread insert, or do they use some sort of outsert? When you suggest a 50 grain brass hit, what is that, and how is it installed. Was planning on setting her up with a COC head when we get to that point.. Slick trick or something etc. I personally shoot Montecs so if she likes those I have a bunch.

14. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Which model of the Beman's are you shooting, and are those a small diameter shaft or a regular diameter?

15. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

You have several choices. The Kinetics come with half outs. You may use them however I personally dont recommend them. There are also several styles of aftermarket of outserts. I haven't had much luck with outserts and haft outs regardless of the brand. Other speak highly of them.

What I prefer to use is Easton Brass HITS

Easton Axis Brass HIT Break-Off Inserts

I also build a short footing but thats very optional.....

16. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Beman ICS Juniors. They're the regular diameter.

17. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    And I just read the other comments. Some of you guys are mean on the wife end. The day I get told to get in the kitchen will be the day I ask for a divorce!

18. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was being sarcastic about a bow in the kitchen... I'd never let her get a bow in the first place!

19. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ^Heh

I use 500 spine arrows. Easton Lightspeeds. I buy 'em as shafts, remove the unibushing and put a regular uni-nock in them. Fletch them with a Bitzenburger fletcher. I've killed a lot of deer with them and as many as four deer with one shaft. They're tough.

20. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Oh and one last thing I would prefer an arrow model that can take Nockturnals. Right now the GT Kinetic is looking like a front runner, as it looks like I can get those for a little cheaper than even the DCA SD arrows.. General consensus should I go with the 500 spine or the 400 spine? Given that her draw length is longer and maybe she ends up shooting in the mid 40's for draw weight, is it better to be a little on the stiffer side or is 500 the proper dynamic spine?