Staying warm for 500

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by SuperKirby, Jan 20, 2015.

1. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This year will be my 8th season hunting in MN, my first with a bow. The 2 biggest adjustments I've had to make have been sitting in a tree or blind instead of walking 10 miles a day, and my goodness it gets cold here, especially when you're hanging off the side of a tree. Far as I can tell, adjusting to the first takes patience, and the second costs money.
    The last couple years I've figured out that the cold is taking some of the enjoyment out of hunting for me. I've started to work on this some, but it's spendy. Last year my wife came home with some Columbia OmniHeat base layer and insulated bibs. Unfortunately there's nothing in it for scent control, but I stayed warmer than I had the previous years. Still cold though.
    I'm looking to try and build off this or replace it and start over. I should be able to spend about $500. I know Sitka, First Lite, etc are the epitome of warm hunting gear but that's way out of the budget. What would you all recommend? So far I was thinking maybe the Cabelas Whitetail Extreme coveralls, a set of boot blankets, and a good hand warmer. I don't know if this is the best option or not. I also looked at the IWOM XT.
    Any suggestions?

2. bz5119

bz5119 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wear Cabelas Wooltimate pants and jacket when it gets really cold. Along with good baselayers I stay very warm. These are on sale right now at Cabelas for $100 each and I think there is a code out for 10% off on top of that.

For baselayers I use all merino wool (firstlite and minus33). A light, medium and expedition layer on top when it's really cold and 2 layers on the bottom. I add/remove layers as needed for different temperatures.

For a hat I have a merino balaclava and a scentlok balaclave, usually I can get by with one or the other but when frigid I use both. For my hands the best I've found is just a super thin glove plus a handwarmer muff.

I've never tried the IWOM, but it might be another good option.

3. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Heater Body Suite, good set a base layers, with normal winter cloths under it. No way will you get into a quality cold weather system for $500.

4. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  5. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Biggest thing I have found that helps is a quality set of boots (I've got 1200 gram insulation pronghorns, and was looking at the Cabelas Inferno 2000 gram).. A warm hand muff with some warmers in there (works so much better than even the best thick gloves), and quality baselayers. Start with those. I have had very good luck with Cabela's gear in general. As for my head, I determined that the separate hat and neck gaiter are a great improvement over a balaclava. Plus you can wear a lighter Under Armour hat or balaclava under that.

6. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    what bgusty said above...

over the years, I've always considered being cold part of the game. I always considered myself someone that just didn't get cold. as I get older, I still do pretty good at bearing it for the sake of the hunt, but my feet get frozen - probably from poorer circulation. I couldn't stand it this year, so no more! I can say that getting better gear has certainly helped to not be cold, but I'm still never warm. For me, it could take a box blind and 3 heaters to actually be warm when it is below 20.

This year I upgraded base layers from non wool (but synthetic) to icebreaker 260 gram base layers. wow! what a difference! I was pretty skeptical of them because they are no 'thicker' than my other base layers, but the perform well. typical layering over these does just fine - mid-layer of fleece pants and my camo. it was 7 degrees in the stand (no wind) a few weeks ago and I was fine. if the wind had been 10MPH plus I might have been getting cool...

I also upgraded to 1000 gram thinsulate boots from traditional non-insulated hunting boots. Wow! What a difference! I'll still use my un-insulated, but gortex, boots early season but if it is cold, I'll be in the new boots.

Last year I had added a hand muffler that accommodates heat packs which really helped the hands even though I have always used quality insulated gloves when it gets cold.

don't be afraid to slowly upgrade your basic gear and it does not have to break the bank...

7. SuperKirby

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone had any experience with the Arctic Shield stuff? Reviews are good and not too bad on price.

8. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've spent a great deal of time, effort and money on this subject over the years. Here is my advice.

Wool, buy it, love it, abuse it. There is nothing that comes close IMO to the comfort and warmth of wool. I use the heaviest merino wool base layers I can find (Minus 33) and am tickled with the results.

Headwear is very important as you lose most of your heat there. Warm hats are a must.

Footwear is the same. But with one caveat. For extremely cold, leather boots are far warmer than rubber.

Look for clothing that has body mapping insulation. It puts it where you need it most, your core. It also helps keep the bulk down and away from your bow string.

Stay as dry as possible. Sweating is your enemy and it will only suck the warm out of you.

Hot Hands are your friend. The best trick with these is to buy one of those wrap around belts for back pain that has pockets for hand warmers. Throw a couple hand warmers in it and put it around your waist with the hot hands over your kidneys. 8 hours of easy, cheap warmth. I probably buy a case of hand warmers each season I use so many. They help by allowing you to reduce bulk from added layers, are cheap and scent free and keep me on stand way longer.

And do not worry about the scent control clothing. Its a myth in my opinion and is not needed. Hunt the wind.

9. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yep x2. Those wrap around lower back warmers save me on many days in the late season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. bz5119

bz5119 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good tip on the kidney warmers. I used those stick on body warmers on my lower back for a hunt or 2 this year and was amazed at how comfortable they made me.

11. staywarmguy

staywarmguy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I can relate - love to hunt in the winter; hate to do it when I'm cold. Here's a new product that goes over your cold weather gear and has a lot of stuff already built into it that help keep you warm. It's getting great reviews:

The Hunter's Apron

Also, here's a huge list of ways to stay warm when you're hunting in cold weather: Tips to stay warm when hunting ? The Hunter's Apron

12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't hunt in the cold but when I do I use my IWOM, love it you can wear it to the stand.

13. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    X100000 love my HBS!

14. Mathewshooter

Mathewshooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Another vote for the Heater Body Suit! I could never stay warm no matter how many layers I had on or what type of material they were. I decided to bite the bullet and buy a HBS a few years ago and absolutely love it. I never get cold anymore. I talked my brother into buying one this year and he was amazed to say the least!

15. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oh and if you get cold in the HBS they will refund your money! Can't really lose!

16. SuperKirby

Dislikes Received:
    Getting a refund if you get cold seems like a safe bet then. That said, how annoying is it not being able to use your arms? That was the one thing that the IWOM seemed to have going for it more than anything else. The HBS seems to be a lot more popular though.

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like heavy wool base layers first then look at outerwear.

17. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have found the older I get the less I can tolerate the cold, on real bitter cold days[yes we get them in GA] I sit in my ground blinds with my heater buddy....

18. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yup! I got a HBS this year and absolutely love it. One of the best hunting purchases I've made in a long time. Kinda mad I waited so long to try it.

19. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    How do you dress below the HBS? I assume you still wear the base layers and a medium jacket/pant?

20. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've heard nothing but good things regarding the HBS. I'll be 59 in August and I find the cold less tolerable every year as others have mentioned. But, I hunted Sat 1/10 and it was 16F. This was the coldest day I've ever hunted here in Pa. The only reason I was able to deal with it was because there was NO WIND. I think the wind makes or breaks a cold weather hunter.

No matter what cold weather gear you have, just remember that layering is most important. I use a ton of those GRABBER 12 hour hand warmers, they are a MUST!! For my feet I wear those bulky Northern Outfitters Expedition boots. They're like moon boots, but it's the only boot I've found that honestly keeps my feet warm in extreme cold.