2014-2015 season

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Shane0709, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The 2014-2015 season is wrapping up in some states. How was everyones season? Share your season highlights. I know I will be impatiently awaiting the 2015-2016 season. So lets hear your stories! :tu:

2. AndyWest83

AndyWest83 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  3. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    2014mn.jpg I harveted this buck early november. It was a perfect evening on the bluffs of Mn. I left my lost camo gamehide hat, so i was hatless up on a tree, I placed out my boss buck decoy on a open alphalpha field. the corn was cut down but sadly the neighbors didnt cut down the corn. as the suns starting to go down, I started rattling the HS heavy horns and grunting the hs true talker for minutes. I saw a small7 point running out from the timber to the alphalpha field. Its a good thing I spread evercalm on my boots. It didnt smell me when my wind was blowing to my decoy. as he walked away I was grunting and snort weezing and as i looked SW of my lone wolf stand, I said to myself SHOOTER. He saw the decoy and stomped the ground loud with his front feet, he was walking to the boss buck decoy, by the time he looked away at 27yds broadside I drew my bow, as he looked up I released a maxima red with a rage 2blade chisel and wacked it on his soft shoulder blade. as he was running, I grunted and rattled the buck to stop, it stoped and stared back at the decoy as he was slowly dying. as it got real dark, I tried to track it,but no blood,so i decided to drop my decoy on the farm road and go to where he was bedding down by the cut corn. As I hear coyotes howling, theres no way there getting to him before i find him, And I found him. As I put him on my vehicle. I showed it to the landowner and his family. they were very happy to see that I got a nice buck down. I see more bigger bucks than him, but im happy enough to end my season in MN with him.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  4. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My season was a good one, I was able to harvest a doe opening day. After that slightly disappointing, as far as killing goes. I played chess against a nice 8 pt RI buck who beat me making me feel like a fool. I was fortunate enough to go on my annual Illinois trip, but placed a bad low briscit shot on a beautiful 10 pt high 130 class buck. Tracked for over 700 yards with very little blood. I came home safe and happy from every hunt, and fortunate to have spent another fall in the woods!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've had a pretty good season so far (still open until Jan 24th), with 2 doe. One with my compound and one with my CB. I also let a small 6pt go by during early season. After about 12 years of hunting this Public land I finally saw a big (relative) buck, but I blew my chance at him when he busted me standing for the shot. He was coming from behind me and I thought I had enough growth between him and me, I was wrong. I still have my buck tag...
    Oh, I almost forgot, I also set a personal record for dark to dark hunts. Of 12 possible hunting days (Oct 25-Nov 8), I sat all day for 11 of them.

6. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    best season I have had in a few years.. I attribute it to a new farm lots of hard work ie: scouting, cams and early stand placements..
    I also really paid attention to the wind and moon phases which in the past was something I only did in passing..
    In four months of deer hunting I never got busted once.. My best bow buck ever and four does in the freezer.My wife killed her first deer with a rifle. Season still open here till the end of Jan in the metro counties.
    It was a great year here in GA..
    [​IMG]

7. PlotWatcher734

PlotWatcher734 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I had a great season here in Southern Michigan! I was able to take an 8 point in bow season (Picture included) and an 8 point in gun season with my Muzzle loader! Deer numbers seemed to be slightly down this year from what i gathered from other hunters but i think that was expected with the harsh winter we had last year. 2015 is lining up to be a good one!
    [​IMG]

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It was a trying season for me, I didn't bother to hunt till Oct 31. First sit nothing but does. Sat again November 2nd again nothing but does. November 5 sitting in the rain was going to head for the house at 4:30 a group of does came in at 4:15 I was stuck in the tree. 5:00 a mature 8 pointer came to check out the does. Put an arrow thru him Scored 135 green and weighed 237 dressed. Was supposed to get him scored Wednesday afternoon and submit the application to P&Y but I had to head out of town to take care of a crisis in Fort Wayne. So my season boiled down to 3 sits for a total of 8.5 hours.

9. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would put him in Buckmasters first since they dont require a 60day dry period, 60 days after then SCI&P&Y

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will have nothing to do with buckmasters in any way shape or form. I am fine waiting 60 days. I have been against P&Y in the past but once they got rid of the lighted nock ban I will put a buck in. Not going to resubmit bucks from before the ban.

11. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a heck of a year. I shot my best buck yet and beautiful doe as well. This was my first year hunting public land only.

[​IMG]

12. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had the best season of my life! I shot the 9 point on October 5th, 32 yard shot, he went about 50 yards before piling up, and my 8 point I shot on my 20th wedding anniversary on November 16th. He was heart shot at 18 yards and went down for good after 20 yards. Our season still runs until January 31st, so now doe patrol! I`ll post pics if I score on a couple does! I`m waiting for my 8 point mount as well!

Attached Files:

13. MistaWondaBread

MistaWondaBread Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty great season for me.

I shot this 8 point 1 minute into legal shooting hours. He was chasing a doe and I was able to hit him in the heart at 32 yards. He died 30 yards from where I shot him, of course at the bottom of a hill. He weighed in at 210 and was so big I couldn't get him into the back of the side by side without using the wench.

[​IMG]

I also shot this doe! Stalked her for about 80 yards and then shot her @ 55 yards with a double lung. It was a fantastic hunt and really pushed me as a hunter.

[​IMG]

Yesterday I dropped this doe. I had spotter her about 200 yards away, and got in close about 80 yards when I spooked her. She moved slowly and I ended up seeing her lay down on the other side of a field. I crawled across it in the pouring rain, and ended up getting a shot on her from about 5 yards. It was a rush! I'm really enjoying spot and stalk, and I plan to do it more next year.

[​IMG]

14. Joey Beck

Joey Beck Newb

Dislikes Received:
    IMG_0004_2.jpg IMG_0006_2.jpg Was not able to do any bowhunting unfortunatly because of all the schooling in the Marine Corps but was able to come home to Wisconsin over Christmas and do a little late season doe hunt. Managed to get three down and shot a little six point because of active duty service member benifits.

15. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This was definitely my best season ever and one I will never forget. I did not get to hunt many days myself but got to spend a lot of time with my children. I was lucky enough to be sitting with my son when he shot his first bear and with my daughter on her biggest buck and first turkey.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My kansas trip was aweome killed a doe and this boy Kansasbuck1.jpg first rack buck with a bow and he is my biggest buck to date on the wall. My wife killed her first buck at our lease sarahbuck.jpg . So it was a blessed year as we put 3 deer in the freezer but it was the hardest year we ever had on our lease i didnt harvest one deer off of it and my wife killed that one buck. Normally i harvest 3-4 deer off of it a year but all i seen on my place was 3 deer while in the stand. But hey i love being in the tree each year and spending time with God and nature!!

17. FullTimeKiller

FullTimeKiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've had one of my more succesful hunting season. I started it off in the spring by taking a medium-large size black bear. In august I went on a mountain goat hunt, which also worked out great for me, shoot a nice billy on only the second day of the hunt, 45 shot double lung complete pass through. My third goat with the bow. By the end of September I had shot a small bull moose out of my tree stand, also a nice pass through, the moose went about 50 yards before pilling up. At the end of September I arrowed a nice 4 by 4 Muley buck and in October I shot my first stone sheep. In the winter I plan to do some cougar, lynx, wolf and yote huntin, all with the bow only of course :tu:

18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I got to get me a wench that helps load up bucks.

19. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    2014 Ohio Doe, 2013 Bowtech Experience 68#@28.5" :
    [​IMG]

2014 Pa buck, 2014 RPM 360 58#@28.5" :
    [​IMG]

20. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The 2014 season was a great season for me, even though I didn't harvest a deer. So much experience was gained and compared to last season, it was 100% better. I can't wait for this fall!