2015 Boot Leather to the Back of the Truck Thread---Scout to KILL

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by virginiashadow, Jan 14, 2015.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    One thing I think we could do better on this forum is talk scouting/tactics. Any of you guys interested in keeping a running thread of our off season scouting trips and into the fall to see how they pay off? I think it would be very educational for me and a lot of other people on here. Keeping one thread will keep information flowing and logical which seems to help guys like me learn. I have some ideas on how I want my scouting to differ this year as I have gained more insight into food sources and doe bedding areas. I am adjusting my scouting based on those two things and I am excited to see how the season plays out.

Things that are encouraged on here are topo maps, aerial maps, and pictures.

Tomorrow will be my Day 1 boot leather to the back of the truck scouting trip on my public land spot.

KILL!

2. doeslayer

doeslayer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Heading out tomorrow myself. Planning an 8-9 mile walk right now but could be further

3. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Cool, Ill probably try to hit 2-3 miles. Going to walk the perimeter of a thick bedding area to look for sneaky entrances and inside corners. I want to see how the deer sigh relates to those things.

4. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think this thread would be very beneficial for me. I'm surrounded with new public land now and I need to figure them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Love this idea.

Will be posting an aerial of the land I hunt and the surrounding farms for input. No need for topos as I'm in flat AG land in central mn. I won't hit the ground with my boots until at least end of January.

6. benwright22

benwright22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, I'm new to scouting. Since I am in New Jersey a lot of the land I hunted was small pieces only a few acres big. But now I got a descent size property. I am curious, when you put the time in to walk a property what do you look for?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I like to find a well worn deer trail in the snow and follow it and follow the forks, I like to take a topo map of the area and try to sketch in the trails on the map, of course a gps would be more accurate but I prefer the maps.

8. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Do you any maps of the property?

9. benwright22

benwright22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No I don't have any maps except a Google earth view

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

10. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That should work. Better than nothing!

11. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like this idea. I'll be following along and sharing anything that I find to be useful. I do a ton of offseason scouting, even on the same place that I hunt every year. In my own opinion, this is the time of the year that can definitely make your season. Put the time in now and hang your stands (if possible). My routine for scouting is to thoroughly cover as much ground as possible. I say thoroughly, because just a quick walk through may cause you to miss subtle sign that could be imperative to your success. If you haven't done offseason scouting in the past, I strongly suggest doing so starting now.

12. rustyreno

rustyreno Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think this thread is a great idea. Last year I thought I was doing a lot of good scouting, but looking back, all I did was look for the areas I thought were the best to place some trail cams and then just checked the cameras. I have another area to hunt now, so my plan is to get in the woods after it snows and see if I can follow some tracks. There are a few nice bucks I had on camera last year that I hope I can find again this year and narrow down where they are and learn their patterns.

-Andrew

13. doeslayer

Dislikes Received:
    Been a long day. Found some good sign. 2 sheds and end of a beam broke off I assume from fighting. 1 shed is a fresh drop prob from about a month ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like the idea. My properties are too far to do a whole lotta scouting, but I'll add what I can and definitely follow along :tu:

15. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Excellent work doeslayer. You have my respect for scouting your butt off today. I had grand plans about scouting today. I forgot I had only slept 3 hrs over about a day half. Needless to say I couldn't get up this morning. I'll head in tomorrow for a good half day of scouting.

16. doeslayer

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing today as far as sheds but did track a very nice buck and ended up jumping him out of his bed. He was laying in a rock crop. Seen 15 deer. Tracked a group of 6 does and got within 30 yards and they never knew I was there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great idea Brett. I'm diving back into some of my old public land haunts next year. The farm just isn't producing like used to.

It's going to be fun walking around the bluffs and river bottoms I grew up in as a kid. Start the scouting next Sunday!

18. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will be following this thread and start contributing around the summer after we get tag results. We found a sweet little spot for to hunt right at the beginning of the late season this year. We'll be focusing on finding other spots to hunt if our spot doesn't pan out.!

19. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Good stuff guys!

20. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here is a picture of the area that we hunted. We had a good number of encounters during our first couple of outings. The last part was just a large number of does. Spot.jpg