Tips on hunting wetlands

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by benwright22, Jan 9, 2015.

1. benwright22

benwright22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know this is a broad question but does anyone have any tips on hunting wetlands? I got this property back in October and I hunt it with 2 other guys who have hunted it for years. I was hoping to maybe gets some tips on how to scout it come spring. It has 2 pipe lines that go through it and borders a field that usually gets planted with corn. The rest of it is real thick hardwoods. It has a stream that goes through it which divides the lower half (which is super wet most the time) and the upper half which is much dryer). I know this is not a lot of info but it is pretty much all I got so far from a few stands I hung on a little scouting I did during the season. Any tips are appreciated.
    Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

2. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    waders or hip boots and don't step in a pot hole..look for high ground in the middle

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  3. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    are you talking midwestern marshes or southern swamps? if midwestern marshes. rubber boots are fine. but southern swamps. id say weiders

4. benwright22

Dislikes Received:
    Its actually in new jersey. I have rubber boots. Do deer tend to stay on the dry ground or would they stay in the wet thick areas?

5. MartinHunter

Dislikes Received:
    they are going to look for higher dry stuff to bed but they will travel through the wet sloppy stuff with no problems.

6. Big Nasty Outdoors

Big Nasty Outdoors Newb

Dislikes Received:
    When hunting wet areas like you describe, the deer tend to find high spots. In the swamps/marshes in my area they are full of cattails and lone trees surrounded by brush. If your land is similar to this, big bucks bed in those high spots, it gives them a dry comfortable place to lay, a good view, more than one route to come in and out and a place to stage. If you can find a spot that allows you to set up and intercept this buck coming from his bedding area, I will guarantee you will shoot mature bucks. I don't know if this is will help you or not.

7. benwright22

Dislikes Received:
    That will definitely help, this is the first time I have a "big" property to hunt so thanks for the advise. Being in New Jersey it's hard to find places so I was excited about this property. But I am not use to scouting areas like this so any info is a help. What are some ways to identify a bedding area?

8. benwright22

Dislikes Received:
    Also how can you identify a bedding area? And how do you know the difference between a doe bedding area compared to a buck bedding area?

9. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Buy the dvd Marsh Bucks, its great for hunting buck beds in marshes. I think you'll be pleased with the information.

10. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Another source, you can look and read Dan Infalt from hunting beast articles about hunting marshlands/wetlands.

11. MartinHunter

Dislikes Received:
    usually a lone bed is a buck a cluster of several is a doe group, but not always... also a buck bed will typically be larger...There is no sure way to tell much like tracks...is that a buck track or a large doe track?

12. Big Nasty Outdoors

Big Nasty Outdoors Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Buck beds are usually larger. I disagree that bucks only have one single bed, in my experience bucks will have 3 or for beds really close together, they tend to get up and down a few times a day, sometimes changing his position due to wind. Buck beds will also have clusters of small rubs around, they like to be able to rub while laying down and when they get up they like to stretch and make rubs. They feel comfortable in that spot, thats why they use it as their staging area.

13. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Where in nj? I'm in the northern part of the state. Could better help if I know the terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Like others have said, look for those "high and dry" spots. the deer love them. Also be on the look out for sloppy trails that go into or out of that thick timber. Do you have access to the thick timber? If you do, hunt the edges. Deer are creatures born to roam the edges. Hope this helps

15. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They still travel through the slop at my place when my creek floods out

16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Biggest factor to consider with water and wetlands. You have a flowing creek so water is not scarce to the deer in an area they can travel a short distance in a large range to get water. In areas where in a dry year if you have the only small pond that does not go dry is a different game altogether. Can you get a kayak or canoe in the creek?

17. benwright22

Dislikes Received:
    I'll definitely look up those resources, thanks for the tips. But I am from hunterdon county in new jersey so kinda north. And I do have access to a lot of the thick parts of the property. They said next year I can hunt even more of the property so that's why I am looking into what to scout for so early, guess I'm just excited. But to answers Sota's question, the creek is small enough to jump over in most areas so there is no need for a kayak or canoo

18. benwright22

Dislikes Received:
    But do deer tend to bed near the edges of open cuts (like pipelines) or are they usually in the middle of the thickest parts of a property? And when choosing a stand location should in try to hunt really thick areas or should I choose to hunt on the edges of thick areas? Or is that a case by case decision

19. wrassjd

wrassjd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Some of the biggest, baddest bucks live and thrive in this environment. Do yourself a huge favor and buy Dan Infalt's "Hunting Marsh Bucks" DVD. I did and shot a 131" public land 8 pointer this year. I've only been hunting for 4 years and feel like this helped me learn what would have otherwise taken 15 years to learn on my own. Best $10 I've ever spent on hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk