Climbing stand rig. How do you do it?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by dhaase30, Jan 9, 2015.

1. dhaase30

dhaase30 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey all, I am new to using a climbing tree stand. This year I purchased a Summit Titan. I love it. My question is how do folks attach/carry their packs with into the woods with stand? And how or where do you position it on the stand while climbing? Pictures would be great. Thanks.

2. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I carry my pack in my hand while walking and wear it while climbing.. I have a small hook I screw into tree I hang it on.. I carry several as I am bad about leaving them in trees..lol

3. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a string on my climber I just tie it to, for walking into the woods and climbing.

4. cg2737

cg2737 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Blacks Creek fanny pack with shoulder straps. I attach the stand to the point between my shoulders that is meant for attaching the top limb of your bow. When I get to my tree I take the stand off, put my bow in place of the stand, put my pack back on and climb up. Short hikes I will just carry the stand in hand.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420819397.169206.jpg

5. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I use a fanny pack instead of a backpack when using a climber. Less weight on the back and everything is handy.

I also have the bag that attaches to the bar.

[​IMG]

6. Eddie234

Eddie234 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Fanny pack

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

7. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I use a summit viper, and use a thick gauge wire to twist tie my back pack with all my camera gear to the frame of the stand while walking in the woods. i then put it on my back while i climb, and use the thirdhand bowholder to hold my bow while i climb, so there are no bow/gear ropes. I highly highly suggest checking thirhandarchery.com, and picking up some stabilizer straps, and bowholder. they attach the top piece of the climber to the bottom piece of the climber, and makes the climber rock solid like a hang on stand once at desired height. enjoy the new stand, i love mine!

8. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I attach my bag to my LW with the bungee that comes with the stand for going in, then I just sling it over my shoulders on the way up the tree and hang it on a pre set screw-in hook once settled in. I say pre-set because I leave the hooks in the trees I hunt from, instead of screwing them in and out every time I hunt from that tree. The way they are located tells me the exact height and position I need to be in for that tree, which is great in the dark.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  9. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I carry everything I need in my pockets or on my belt with my calls on a lanyard, no pack for me.

10. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I asked the same question when I bought my Viper SD and someone recommended bungee balls. I tried it out and that's what i'll be using from here on out; worked great. I wear it on the way up. Considering getting pouches for the rails.

11. bz5119

bz5119 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use my third hand stabilizer straps to strap it to the stand.

12. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    trying to get back to that so much simpler, As hunters we carry too much crap..

13. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I clip a carabiner to the top handle on my pack, then clip that to my stand. While climbing I wear the pack. I use a pack on state land as I am usually back in pretty far and forgetting something isn't just a simple 5 minute walk back to the truck. I carry my top layer in the pack in cold weather and my climbing harness stays in it so I can't forget it.

14. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not a big fan of self climbers like i used to. for the summits there big,complicated and noisy when climbing. hate that you have to find a really straight tree and a certain size tree. Id recomend a lone wolf assault with 4 lone wolf climbing sticks. its lighter than those summits, really quiet.

15. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have two climbers a viper and LW...I do it a little different.

I put the stands on my back, I carry my bow in one hand and my pack in the other....sometime I take the time to lash my pack to the stand but other wise I would rather less weight on my back.

16. jdhaines32

jdhaines32 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Summit Titan as well. I use a Badlands Monster fanny pack and the Summit side backs. I used to attach my pack under my Thirdhand Stabilizer straps and synch it down on top of the seat, but I got tired of the extra bulk hanging on my back.

17. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    But you lose comfort, height, and need a lineman's belt and more movement to set it up. Only real advantage is better tree selection, and if you scout in advance most times that's not a big deal either. Plus, OP already has the climber and likes using it.

18. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Only way you need a lineman's belt if your hanging 6 climbing sticks high. I've been hangings sets from 8 ft to over 20ft high. I have used summit and lone wolf climbers in the past. Not everywhere you go is gonna have a straight sized limbless tree as you're climbing where deer are funneling. Especially public land you cant damage vegetation in order to climb higher. Self climbers sometimes work if you're in the timber. But an open alfalfa and cut corn field. its hard looking for a good size limbless tree to climb vs a light portable stand with 4 climbing sticks like lone wolfs, where you can hang most trees in the timber, and most trees by the open field.

19. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Many of us will disagree with that statement. I hang the first two without being hooked in, after that, I my lineman's rope goes around the tree for the next two sticks and while I hang the stand. I use an Assault and 4 sticks to supplement my LW handclimber for reasons you said, you can't always find a climber tree.

20. 5 seas

5 seas Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a summit and a Lone Wolf. I have both sections strapped together and have backpack straps on the bottom section. I carry my "stuff" in in a backpack as well. I place the backpack onto the top section and then place the stand on my back. Once arrived, I remove back pack and set up stand. Once I put my harness around the tree I put on my backpack. When I am up top, I remove backpack and install a hanger for the pack and my bow. Meanwhile, the bow is attached to a 25 ft line which, is attached to the upper section. Painless, 10 to 12 minutes from base of tree, till bow in hand. Develop your own system. Good luck.