shed traps

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Shane0709, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Today, I built a shed trap for out of state lease, where shed traps are legal. I made it into a V shape, and lined it with fencing. I'm still thinking about putting bungee cords on the outside. Has anyone here made a shed trap, and had success with it? I am not that lazy guy who wants to sit on the couch and find sheds, but I wanted to try a different way this year. I will still definitely look for sheds on foot, but I wanted to see just how productive this is. Any feedback is appreciated.

2. cocowheats

cocowheats Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    not productive. Waste of time. Just dump corn an take inventory with trail cams.

3. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If your going to dump corn, dump it along the edge of hay bails. Just as well get a shed here and there if you are going to feed them.

4. Shane0709

Dislikes Received:
  5. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've thought about just running caution tape around food plots so deer have to jump to get in the plot then the antlers would pop right off and you could do it in states where shed hunting is illegal:)

6. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't see why it's so necessary to go to these lengths to find sheds. Having something like a fence can damage their pedicles if they get stuck and jolt around to get free which causes abnormal antler growth. Just walk the woods/field and find them. It's a good opportunity to find deer paths, bedding areas, rubs, and scrapes.

7. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, especially when you start adding fencing and straps. Risk is not worth the reward IMO.

8. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't use traps. But I also never find sheds lol. Ive found 7 total in my life and I walk probably 20-30 miles at a minimum every spring looking. Last year I found 3, got lucky and found a good match set next to each other a mile back in state land in June when I was going to check a cam. But honestly I get blown away seeing these guys who find them consistently every year. No clue what Im doing wrong. I craw through thickets and get cut up, I walk fence lines and creeks where they have to jump, grid pattern search fields, and come up empty handed. Most sheds Ive found were from June-Aug, when I wasn't even looking for them. Drives me nuts.

9. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree 100%

10. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    what ever happened to old fashioned way of late winter scouting / shed hunting and getting some exercise....

BTW never built a shed trap....

11. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Tall Boy.jpg

I've used Bungee Cords in a Semi-Circle in my backyard now for 2 or 3 years and never had a stuck deer or a stake pulled out for that matter.

I know I have deer all around the city I live in but, I can't go walking around peoples backyards looking for sheds to stay active. I have only got 2 sheds ever and my Dog was very happy about it. Deer are pretty darn tough so I don't see elastic hurting them or their head gear.

12. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    shed hunting is illegal in some states? you must mean on state or fed land?

13. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed.

14. HoytHunter831

HoytHunter831 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I made one that looks very similar. If you can stake it down good I would put bungee cords on it. They never even touched the fence because they know it's there and they know how big their antlers are so they avoid that stuff when they can.

15. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How many sheds have you recovered with this method in that time period?

16. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have recovered 2 decent sized sheds for the area in 2 seasons and this will be my third. We have a lot of Bucks in the area but not a lot of public land to access and walk looking for them.

IMO if you have the time and access to walk for sheds, Do yourself a favor and walk, there is a lot of information you can gather by just being out in the woods. For me I like to experiment with different setups in my backyard just to see what happens but, I wouldn't set this up on my property.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  17. American Honky

American Honky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe in the midwest that's the case, but it's easier said than done in other places... In my entire LIFE I've only stumbled across one shed, and I assure you it's not because I don't put the miles on these boots! Here in Maine the deer population is very thin, obviously resulting less bucks per mile than in the south and midwest. In an average year, only 13% of archery and rifle hunters successfully harvest a deer (including doe harvest). Furthermore, when the antlers start dropping it also starts snowing, which obviously presents another challenge. The undergrowth and the leaves covering the ground create a forest floor that is so thick in many places that you literally have to step one to find it. And chances are, the rodents will have it completely chewed to crumbs before you have a chance to look again come the spring thaw. I ain't too proud to use a shed trap to up my chances of getting an antler or two :moose:

18. Shane0709

Dislikes Received:
    I think some people are not getting why I started this thread, I for one am nowhere close to lazy when it comes to finding sheds. I walk a great distance, usually find a good number of sheds. But this year I wanted to try something different. Yes, you're exactly right, nothing beats walking for them. But, nothing beats trying new ways to find them.

19. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Like some others, my only concern with using fencing would be having a buck get snagged up in it when his antlers are not ready to come off. IMO if you are going to do anything it should be something if they get tangled into they have a way out of. Bungees, using hay bales, placing the corn under heavy branches, in and around brush piles, etc. are safer alternatives.

Hay bales can be done using 3 bales, place 2 in a V and then a third over the two to for an A and then place the corn up and under some.

20. American Honky

American Honky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Personally I think it's worth a try providing it's legal and built in a manner that doesn't put the deer at risk. My opinion is that haybales or 2x4s in a V-shape would be best, with wire fencing probably being my last choice due to the risk associated with it. Good luck Shane!