Guided Elk Hunt

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by PinkPony, Jan 4, 2015.

1. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My husband has been wanting to find an elk hunt to do in the future (a couple years). I have been researching online and it seems all states you must draw for an out of state license. Is there any states where preferences points/drawing aren't required? He was leaning towards New Mexico, but nothing is set.

Right now this is all just a major thought. He has been talking about it for quite a while so I am trying to gather more information. We have been trying for Pennsylvania (resident) but it took my neighbor 15 years to get drawn.

Is there any guided outfitters you would recommend? I would appreciate any information any of you would have. Thanks in advance.

2. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You can buy tags in many states, although I definitely wouldnt reccommend that, it'll cost you a fortune! Good luck

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Land owner tags can be bought, when you consider the amount of time it takes to draw, the yearly expenses ...they are a good option and more economical then many lead you to believe.

4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    An excellent resource is bowsite reviews, they can be searched via state ...you will find plenty of highly regarded outfitters.
    If you post on bowsite you will also gather plenty of first had recommendations.

5. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Colorado has over the counter bull tags for some areas. Utah has OTC tags that can be used for bulls in a couple of areas... But because of the pressure the OTC areas will be tougher.

Look at big horn outfitters in Wyoming. Dustin operates that place and is a stand up guy. I think tags aren't too tough to get in Wyoming.

6. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here's some bull eye candy. I was less than 50 yards from this bull yesterday.
    Of course, I only have a cow tag. Lol

[​IMG]

7. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There are several states that have OTC tags. You can save a ton of money and have a great hunt with just a little homework for a DIY hunt.

8. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If New Mexico is on the list most outfitters if you sign up for a hunt with them can get the tags for you. Same for Wyoming. If Wyoming is the choice Dustin is the way to go. New Mexico I hunted with U-TRAIL ELITE GILA HUNTS - THE BEST IN NEW MEXICO/ARIZONA and had a good time but you are looking for some serious money.

9. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for the information! I'm looking at about $8500 for a guided hunt...for what he's looking for. I'd love to get him with a group to do it DIY, but not many of his friends have money to do it. (And I'd rather not fork out double to go myself).

I'll look into the WY you guys mention.

Great picture, Christine.

10. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I went to an elk camp in September and had a blast. We are doing it again in 2016 and anyone is invited! Look in the big game forum for the invite thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. jjs3

jjs3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Idaho doesn't require a special draw and a lot of great Bulls out here.

12. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Washington sells OTC elk tags, just need to know if your hunting the east or west side of the state.. most of the outfitters are east side... tho one good one west side north of Seattle

13. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everyone!

Dan, I saw that this year - I told him about it...he doesn't do the computer thing - so I'm not sure if he'd go. I think it'd be fun!

14. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Me and my brother are heading to SW CO this september on a DIY archery hunt. We couldnt be more excited calling each other asking how our calling sounds and I'm sure my neighbors are getting sick of hearing bugles every morning LOL. But best luck I had was searching each states DNR sites and once we found units with OTC just give the DNR warden of that section a call and they have been extremely helpful with any questions we have had and Im sure I will have 100s more before we actually head out. Good Luck with your search and Good Luck to him on his hunt this fall!

15. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No need to be on here to go to it. Several that went aren't on here. It was a blast and fairly inexpensive. Definitely have to hunt hard and try learning from everything you see and hear.

16. trkytrack2

trkytrack2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would recommend the Cross Mountain Ranch out of Craig, Colorado. Premier elk hunting. Cross Mountain Outfitters can be contacted by email at: [email protected] or by phone at: Zach Pruch....970-275-1508 or Doyle Worbinton....888-282-5355 or 719-661-3709 or just Goggle....Cross Mountain Ranch.