Dry fire accident...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Noblacksheep, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Noblacksheep

Noblacksheep Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So today I was putting on a stabilizer and whisker biscuit. I decided to draw my bow back. Not having any arrows, I can't shoot yet. The shop will be open tomorrow and I planned on testing some sights and getting some arrows. However, I had it almost at full draw, my fingers slipped and my string went forward. Now my string is not on my cams. Not sure if I damaged the cams or if the string is damaged. The string is still intact. Anyone ever have this problem? Yes, I'm brand new to bowhunting and I feel pretty dumb.

EDIT: Went into the pro shop, he laughed a bit and set the bow up. He said things happen. Bought some gold tip arrows and ready to go. Lesson learned. Pictures attached.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  2. Andy_W7ATR

Andy_W7ATR Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Needs a full inspection by a shop qualified rep. Don't do anything with it until its checked out.

3. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Don't do a thing with it until you go to the shop for an inspection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. alecmeurer1

alecmeurer1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have done this when I first got my bow. I thought I had an arrow in and shot. Luckily I was only pulling back 40 at that point and nothing happened. I brought it into the local archery shop and they examined it and put the string back on cams and its still shooting fine to this day.

5. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not dumb at all, accidents happen. Look it over really well and take it to the bow shop tomorrow so they can inspect and press it to restring. Even though you might want to try to fix it yourself don't try it unless you have the right tools as you could make things worse. Watch what the bowshop does so you can learn what do do next time. You can inspect the cams to see if they are bent and the limbs to make sure there are no cracks or splinters. You might be able to recover but the bow shop will know better once they look it over. You don't always have to have an archery shop do the work but you need to learn first them try it on your own eventually. Sorry this happened but don't let it deter you archery is addicting and fun.

6. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Like others said, take it to a shop and let a professional inspect it. It is a hard lesson to learn, but I hope everything is ok.

7. Noblacksheep

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely planning on them look it over. They'll know way more than me. The string looks alright and the cams aren't bent. Fortunately its under warranty so lesson learned. It scared me just a bit haha

8. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Warranty does not cover dry fires.

9. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Warranties cover the bow from factory malfunctions... Not from dry fires. However, they are usuay pretty understanding so maybe you'll get lucky

10. alecmeurer1

alecmeurer1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Actually my acrchery shop with my Mathews Craze did cover dry fire. They gave me a new string.

11. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ditto..... And get a good release...

12. Longstriker

Longstriker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not to worry my friend. This is a more common accident than most archers using compound bows would openly admit to. It happened to me with my Mathews Switchback over ten years ago. Lesson learned and I have been more careful ever since.

13. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My friend has a Drive and dry fired it on a Florida hog hunt. It bent the draw stops and both cams needed replaced. PSE actually replaced them so it depends on your dealer and their relationship with PSE.

14. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That was a foolish error hope it works out where it does not cost much.

15. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Dont touch the bow till you have it fixed and checked out!!!!!!! Lesson learned i`m sure.

16. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Get it fully inspected before you do anything, dont even draw it back, and whatever you do, take it to a pro shop, NOT a box store like cabelas!

17. cj wimmer

cj wimmer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I was tokd by a hoyt factory rep that hoyt dryfires their bows 1000 times in the factory but I would definitely have a proshop check it out

18. TeamFATBOY

TeamFATBOY Newb

Dislikes Received:
    No harm, no foul. Just a good lesson learned!
    I've owned bows for over thirty years and couldn't tell you how many times I've drawn them without an arrow nocked, "BUT" when I got my Insanity I was working on it in my den and put just a nock on the string inside the d loop, grabbed a trigger release and clipped it on the d loop. Gripping the release with my finger behind the trigger and holding the release without strapping it on i drew back and ........... the release slipped out of my hand! After I cleaned my drawers I inspected the bow thoroughly and nothing was harmed, probably thanks to the weight of the release but things could have went south quick just from getting in a hurry and impatient. I don't know how fast my bow shoots and don't really care but it'll sling a release across the den about 900 miles per hour! LOL!

19. Noblacksheep

Dislikes Received:
    That would make me soil my pants. The excitement of a new bow and wanting to start practicing so I'm ready for next season took over. I've calmed down and my arrows are in route. Soon on my off time I'll be shooting targets and learning as much as I can.

20. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I worked at ****s and a co worker was setting up a bow for a guy and set his draw weight. The customer wanted to test if he could pull it back good enough and when he went to let down, he twisted his wrist (he did not have a release on) and the string derailed from the cams.. ended up ruining the bow, but always have a release on when drawing your bow.