What to do with this Bow

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by remist17, Jan 3, 2015.

1. remist17

remist17 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have been out of archery since 2004. I had a issue with my shoulder which prevented me from pulling a bow. I finally got the shoulder back and now can pull the bow. I missed this season but getting ready already for next. My issue is my bow is a CSS Talon. I pull about 57 pounds and is a basic setup. I just added a whisker bisket. IS this bow outdated? I went to the bow shop and the guy actually laughed when I opened the case. Has technology really changed that much to make this bow bad? He said he would not work on the bow and sent me away. I shot about 30 arrows since buying it in 2004. What do you all think?

2. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Outdated probably, but that doesn't mean ineffective. I say if you hit good with it and comfortable shooting it then use it. Just be sure to make sure it is safe, no cracked limbs, new strings ect. I'm not familiar with that now. Maybe a pic would help. Welcome to the forum!

3. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Killed this one with a 1995 model Mathews solo cam this year. Before that I killed a lot of deer with a even older Browning and before that I hunted with a old Carroll recurve. So, yes you can get by with it. Heck, guys kill deer all the time with a long bow. With that being said, I just upgraded to a new 2014 Bear Agenda 7 and wish I had got it sooner. lol

unna.jpg

4. remist17

remist17 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys. What broadheads good now? I use to shoot a fixed three blade which is not made anymore. Suggestions are welcome. Looking in 100 grain

5. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  6. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  7. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, I'm ordering some more. Put them on, took a few shots at 20,30,40 yards...was spot on with my PSE Revenge. I just put a new string on my Faktor and haven't gotten it fully tuned yet so didn't try them out on it yet. They funny part my buddy had to try them. He then paid me for them...lol. So i'm ordering some more in the next day or two. He was very impressed as well. I guess I'll have to listen to you more often....lol. They are made VERY well and shoot perfect!

8. remist17

remist17 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you all

9. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sure the technology is outdated but the bow still functions perfectly fine. And of its well tuned and you practice you will have no trouble killing deer effectively. But any shop tech that would laugh and turn you away because you don't have the latest greatest gear is ridiculous. I personally would find a new shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    +1...

11. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree laughing is the best reaction .

That said I don't think you should invest anything into the bow. Further more I think if your serious about giving bowhunting a shot ..,you will enjoy it more an be better served getting a newer entry level type package.

Anything you put into a bow that age and that dated you just throwing good money after bad.

12. BlueSpruceOutfitters

BlueSpruceOutfitters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Slick Trick Magnums or DRT Single or Double Bevels. As long as the bow is tuned, those are the best broadheads I've ever shot and I had broadhead ADD so I try a lot of them. Lol. My slick tricks have blown through many a deer and not one have made it past 50 yds.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

13. remist17

remist17 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Im pulling 57 pounds. Is that enough or should I go higher? Can you explain tuned bow? I have been shooting everyday since I took the chance and pulled the bow back. Im grouping 6 arrows in a 3 inch group at 35 yards. These are field tips and not broadheads. I think if things go well I might get new bow next year.

14. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    57 pounds is fine for whitetails. More is not needed. When I tune, I set the rest at center shot, and the left and right on my sight, set the bow to factory specs (AtA, brace height, poundage and draw length) then I bareshaft tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Remist17,
    As long as you feel comfortable with the bow and can shoot it accurately there is nothing wrong with it. Sometimes you might have issues finding replacement strings and such but other than that you will be fine. However a newer model bow if you have the budget may be easier on your shoulder. The models of today have as much as 85% let off and that saves on wear and tear on the shoulder. And generally they have an easier draw cycle as well. Just something to consider.

in regards to broad heads any good fixed blade will work. If you are worried about pentration then a Magnus Stinger or Muzzy Phantom would be fine. All in all the Slick Trick standard is a good quality broadhead with a decent price from my experience. In terms of toughness hard to beat the QAD Exodus.

16. remist17

remist17 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys. Im looking for a broadhead that will drop them quicker. What are your thoughts on this, im hunting 6 acres of land. Is this too small for archery? I used to hunt 100 acres but we sold the farm and moving to Pa. I can not seem to find land to hunt so I have been sitting on mu little dumpy land.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  17. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    great comment... it always amuses me when folks think you have to own the latest and greats of the new compound every few years...if this was true why would we ever hunt with a recurve or long bow... there is absolutely nothing wrong with your CSS... Get it checked out maybe a new string sight and rest and enjoy.... if your proshop is pressuring you to by a new bow find another one..

18. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    nope I hunt metro properties as small as 2ac..

19. remist17

remist17 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So im thinkingslick trick standard or muzzy 3 blade. Does one fly better than another?