Bow Question?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by lgordon711, Dec 17, 2014.

1. lgordon711

lgordon711 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hi guys I am looking to get a new to me bow soon and have a few questions. I shoot a Mathews MQ32 now so it is a little dated. I am moving out west and am going to start elk or mule deer or anything else really hunting out there. People say be prepared to shoot 60-70 yards when you go out there. My bow now is 70 lbs and I feel pretty confident out to 50 but its pretty lolly poppy at that and feel like 60 would be really pushing it. Just being off a couple of yards at that distance with that bow could be bad. So I am wondering what would be a good bow for shooting say 70-80 yards. Not saying I would shoot at an animal that far but I sure would like to practice it. I shot the new no cam and chill and the new hoyt bows as well. I could almost not tell a difference between the four bows besides really minor details that I could get used to. So should I go for one of the 30in axle to axle or should I go for more. Basically what do you guys recommend? I was more thinking about getting a bow that is a couple of years old because they are about the same as the new ones for way cheaper. Thanks for the help

2. Billy Pulsifer

Billy Pulsifer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    IMO, a heavier bow will give you more stability in your shots. Speed is nice for flat shooting and less time for the deer to react, however theres really no difference in how quickly they react from 278fps to 315 fps, etc, so if i were in your position, i would find the quietest bow you could get, with a little extra weight. An elite would work well they are very quiet and you can find a 2012 for a reasonable price (400-500) and you can get them in an 80# model for more speed and definitely more KE. My opinion, Good Luck!!

3. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You think? lol

4. lgordon711

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys for the info. That is some good information. Everyone will tell you go to the shop and shoot all the bows and get what you like. For one I'm not gonna spend over 1000 dollars on a bow when one from 2 years ago is half the price and is the same bow. Two i go and shoot the bows and can barely tell the difference between them and actually I like them all less than mine because I am used to mine. I would rather start off with what would be the best numbers and stats wise bow for me and most bang for my buck. Then just get used to that. You will love or atleast like anything if you shoot it enough with todays technology.

5. lgordon711

Dislikes Received:
    I may also look at 70-80lb bow because just because it goes to 80 does not mean I have to shoot that. I could shoot 75 or what ever I am comfortable with. Anybody who tries to tell anyone that 80 makes no difference does not know what they are talking about because it is simple physics.

6. Pony30

Pony30 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  7. ruteger

ruteger Guest

8. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is my personal opinion but If I was hunting out west I would get

A 34-36 inch AtA bow
    340-350 IBO
    6-7 inch brace
    4.2 pound mass weight
    That would be my ideal set up.
    Would add a 10-12 inch stabilizer and a single pin sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. lgordon711

Dislikes Received:
    I would like that set up but I have been looking at the black gold ascent sight and I would get that with 5 pins and it uses the last pin as a floater so I could crank it out to 100 if I want. I dont think you could get any better of a sight IMO.

10. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That would be a very good choice as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. lgordon711

Dislikes Received:
    That video really changed my mind a bit on shooting 80lbs it was only like 5fps difference. But i would still maybe shoot a non speed bow at 80 than a speed bow at 70. From what i have heard they are not very smooth and can be hard to let down.

12. Billy Pulsifer

Billy Pulsifer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot a 27" DL out of an 80# elite hunter with 300 spine arrows 9.1 GPI then shot a 28.5" DL 70# elite hunter, 350 spine arrows 7.9gpi and they were close but not enough to make me want to condition myself to 80#. Sure the amount of KE would probably be more out of the 80# but if you shoot a heavier arrow out of any bow the KE will go up.

13. Pony30

Pony30 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    70 should be plenty. Was just trying to show performance difference at 70 between No Cam and Nitrum. All comes down to what feels more comfortable, but 20 FPS difference at same weight will make a big difference you start shooting heavier arrows longer distances.

No knock against Mathews (I know their bows are solid), but #'s don't lie...