Project on getting those white antlers some color!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Slugger, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well as some of you have heard I decided to go ahead and get some mud on a rack I have that is nearly pure white. I did not want to go buy anything and was looking into alternatives. I read of people using mud to get a good color on antlers so gave it a go. Here is the rack before.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So I decided to try some top soil out of the garden due to the dark color. I could not get the right mix of mud going as you can see here.
    [​IMG]
    Went and found some good dirt by the pine tress and mud turned out much better and went on very well as you can see.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Going to give it a day or two to dry before I get the mud off to see how it turned out.

2. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm interested to see how this turns out. I'm needing to stain a bleached out skull I found last year and dont know for sure what I will do yet. Keep us posted.

3. FullTimeKiller

FullTimeKiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A few years ago guiding for early season moose, after one got shoot and still had velvet on on some parts and the antlers being white underneath an old timer showed me how to get a nice stain on them. He mixed mud whith a little bit of the moose's blood and used moss to act like a sponge and got a great color to the antlers for the mud/blood/moss dirt. It looked great.

4. FullTimeKiller

FullTimeKiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    He used to moss to soak up the mud blood mixture and rubbed it onto the antlers in a circular motion.