Shoulder replacement

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by gary w, Dec 12, 2014.

1. gary w

gary w Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Can you shoot a bow after shoulder replacement ? I am about to have it done and would be encouraged to know if others have done it .i have been a bow hunter most of my life.
    Would appreciate any thoughts

2. ruteger

ruteger Guest

I don't know the answer to that, but it would probably matter whether it was your drawing arm or your stabilizing arm.

Bump.

3. Carsonbow4

Carsonbow4 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I dislocated my shoulder during football this year in the middle of October. I lowered the draw weight and started working my way back up. I just recently got back up to where I want to be. You should probably be fine, just lower your draw weight and work your way back up.

4. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    WebMD says some can go back to playing golf but that some repetitive movements are a problem. you might consult your doctor and see if one of the movements, either holding the bow or drawing the arrow will be possible. if so, then lowering weight and possibly changing shooting side might allow conventional archery. The one hunter I know who had shoulder replacement has shifted to crossbow but I don't know if that is permanent or he'll resume regular archery at some later date. Good luck with it.

5. Pichy

Pichy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had shoulder surgery in February last year. I timed it so I'd have enough time to heal for bow season. It was not shoulder replacement, but they did an awful lot. I had a shredded labrum, torn tendons, thickened bone in the joint causing impingement, etc. They had to grind out the extra bone and spurs.

I can say that regular physical therapy was critical for me. I made good progress and was able to shoot my bow by August. I lowered the draw weight, and took it slow, never allowing much pain at all while shooting. The risk was that I'd undo some of what I had worked so hard to fix. I worked up to 64 lbs by October. I usually shoot 70, but I had purchased a 65 lb Heli-M knowing I was going to have surgery.

Shoulders do not have a lot of blood flow, so they do not heal quickly. I am not sure if what you are having will stop you from drawing a bow again, but I wish you all the best, and hope you get back to it for next season.

6. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I didnt have shoulder replacement, but I did have rotater cuff surgery, I had bone spurs removed, and also they removed some very bad shoulder bones loaded with arthritis. I am lefty, and yes, it was my left shoulder. After your surgery, doc will give you some rehab excersises to do. Do yourself a favor and do them!! You will be able to draw your bow, slow and steady wins the race! Best of luck with your surgery. GOD BLESS

7. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Complete a physical therapy program after the surgery. Once you are cleared for normal activities by the PT begin doing some serious strength-training in addition to shooting your bow at a lower draw weight. I work with people all the time, post-physical therapy, to help them return to playing tennis or golf. Bow hunting should no different provided you take the PT seriously. Let me know if I can help.

8. sojourner

sojourner Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am new on here, but I would like to add my 2 cents. I have bad arthritis in shoulders with bone spur in right shoulder. The shoulder replacement will eventually be inevitable. Is it full replacement? If so, I remember reading that one needs to limit lifting things that are heavier than 25 pounds. I think it has to do with the "plastic" glenoid component.

I have looked into the ream and run procedure as an alternate. It has longer rehab, but less restrictions once rehab is done. It does not use a plastic glenoid component. Just reams the existing glenoid bone slightly larger than the metal ball replacement.

If getting this surgery, it is best to to to teaching hospitals.

In any case, you might want to check out the ream and run replacement. Just google ream and run.

My best wishes for you.

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Make sure you let your Physical Therapist know your goals before you start your therapy. They will design your treatment to get you therel

10. Doc T

Doc T Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That depends…

If you have osteoarthritis and your rotator cuff is intact I would see no reason your orthopedic surgeon would not allow you to shoot a bow and hunt. If you are having a shoulder replacement because of having a torn rotator cuff you may require a special type of prosthesis that doesn't respond to the stresses as well as the standard type of shoulder replacement.

Obviously you need to check with your surgeon but I can't imagine that he or she would not be inclined to allow you go bow hunting especially if they understand the details of what's involved. You may need to start with a lighter draw weight after your rehabilitation, somewhere in the 45 pound range. Unless you are very powerfully built and have a very smooth draw I wouldn't recommend going over 60 pounds draw after surgery.
    Good luck with your surgery.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  11. gary w

gary w Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks to all of you who took the time to offer advice and encouragement !! I don't normally do forums etc, but was a little discouraged and the feed back was great.i will do the rehab, what ever it takes. Nothing wrong with gun or cross bow ,but to me , it would never be the same.
    Maybe the next time someone asks that question , i can give him a first hand positive response !
    Top of the evgening to all of you !