Property lines

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by fox hollow 2, Dec 10, 2014.

1. fox hollow 2

fox hollow 2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    One of the properties I hunt is a smaller property. It is right at 75 acres. I am very familiar with the property as I have hunted it/lived near by my entire life, although I do not own it. It is state law to have written permission (which I have) to hunt private land. However, a man who owns some bordering property has put up "Posted" signs that are clearly not on, or close to the property line. I have encountered the man before, and he is unpleasant. It seems like he wants to "control" the neighboring properties to his. It doesn't bother me that he posts the land because again, I am familiar with the land and its property lines. I hunt within the boundaries of this property. In fact, I try to separate myself from the line. I hunt (bow hunt) around 100-150 yards from the line. But he has tried to intimidate me by cussing and yelling at me saying I was hunting on his property. What he told me was his property, and what the tax map indicates are two totally different things. So my question is, is it unlawful to deceive someone about a property line, or "post" property that is not their own? Has this happened to anyone else before?

2. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure the letter of the trespassing and littering laws would be about all he could get in trouble for. NEITHER of which the cops are going to give a flip about unless the landowner complains and I would trouble him with such nonsense.

Tell the jerk politely he is wrong and have proof in your backpack in the form of tax maps if he persists. Then just ignore him if he still doesn't change. You're not going to change him and you don't own the land. Create headaches for the landowner and you will be gone as the easiest way to solve the problem.

It's not worth it.........as long as you KNOW you're right just go about your business and hope when you stick one it doesn't run on that pinheads land.

3. MOBU

MOBU Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To the left of my printer(Prairie Farm WI)
    +1 to what Atlasman said, and pray your wounded deer doesn't run off onto his land.

Good luck,
    MOBU

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Don't take his crap for a second have your documentation in order and the next time he opens his yapper show him the proof, people like that won't stop until you call them on their crap. Let the land owner know too.

5. Rich71

Rich71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would discuss the situation with the landowner and let him make decisions on what to do. It is his land and his neighbor and, in the long run, his decision as to how to handle the problem.

6. fox hollow 2

Dislikes Received:
    I was/am not considering getting the law involved, or the land owner for that matter. The land owner lives out of town, so they don't need to deal with any nonsense. I am content with they way things are there. I have permission, and I know the lines, so I'll leave it at that. With my original post I was more or less just wondering if this happens everywhere?

7. nealmccullough

nealmccullough BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I've had someone "looking after property" for us - (he owns 15 acres - but hunts about 1500!!)... He's the neighbor so it's a bit delicate... but unfortunately my view would be to get as far away from that guy as possible - even if it means leaving that stand.

It sucks - but guys like that will eventually ruin your hunt one way or another (i'm thinking 4-wheeler or chainsawing right on the property line at peak time say... November 2nd ... - it's happened to me) :(

8. nealmccullough

nealmccullough BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    HOWEVER... if he truly is crossing property lines might be worth putting up a fence (doing a survey etc)...

9. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This says it all, and makes the most sense. Don't open Pandora's Box!!

10. Woods

Woods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It sounds like you are going to take the careful, peaceful way to fix this situation (which probably is the smartest since it isn't your land and landowner lives out of town) but if you did want to put up a fight one option you might have would be to put a stand close to his property line, say 30 yards, where you know he will bother you. You could then video him bothering you while hunting and get him for hunter harrassment (I think that would fall under those guidelines) at which point the DNR could scold him for bothering people on land that isn't his. Could be a good wake up call for him. I would call the landowner about something else, thanking him for use of the land and share an exciting hunt story or two, and briefly mention the problem guy and get a feel for if it's an issue he wants to confront. If he gets uncomfortable about it than drop it.

11. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Another way to avoid him, is if possible get dropped where your hunting. I get dropped off on a good % of my hunts for many reasons.

12. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd make sure I have all the documentation I could get and needed and then I'd hunt where I damn well pleased on the property. I'd probably be sure to be in front of him and when he confronted me again I'd tell him to call law enforcement or I would and we'd hash that chit out right then and there.

I don't put up with BS and I don't live in fear of it as a concern. If I was in the right then I'd get him put in his place directly. Ignoring stuff like this generally only makes it worse to deal with in the future.

13. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This past fall a group of guys started running people off a land enrolled in our game commission co-op program claiming they had leased it. The neighbor got the PGC involved since the rules fell under public land and those guys were riding quads, which is a big no no. But yes I've seen people try to post land that wasn't theirs on several occasions besides this one.

14. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My dad taught me good fences make good neighbors. Ask the land owner if they would (or let you) clearly mark the property lines. Then the next run in with the neighbor you can show him. Put a nice big sign facing his way - KEEP OUT PRIVATE PROPERTY.

15. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Tell him to go pound sand and if he has a problem to call the warden. If the warden comes he'll tell him to go pound sand after he looks at the tax map.

16. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You can mention to the property owner hat someone posted signs on what you think is his land then back off and let the owner fight his own battles. Past that you will end up being kicked off the ground just by getting involved arguing with the guy next door.
    Good luck and be safe.

17. fox hollow 2

Dislikes Received:
    This is a good idea.

18. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The problems with that is things probably wont stay the way they are....it will get worse when dealing with azz clowns like this guy. He will keep pushing and pushing until you have to push back or leave. The best thing in my opinion is try to stop this right now. Have all your paper work showing property lines in your pack and the next time he gives you crap, call the warden and show him that you are right and the clown is wrong.

19. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd go about it differently. I would go knock on his door and politely confront him. He needs to understand the property lines and I would provide him with said documentation. Most states have laws against hunter harassment and right to fair chase. I would use those laws if needed. I'd also be documenting ever incident and calling the DNR so the issue can be recorded. I actually know someone that was able to file a restraining order on a individual over property / hunting dispute in similar circumstance.

I've had people do what ever they can to run me off from different properties over the years and I refuse to let them interfere anymore. Land access is to hard to come by around here.

20. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Land owners problem,no need to get hurt or get kicked off the ground that you don't own anyways. I could see this going way,way wrong in a hurry knock on some guys door eat a fist or get shot. Not your problem.