Treestand Safety Revisited

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by muzzyman88, Dec 8, 2014.

1. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I saw this morning that one of the Heartland Bowhunter guys had a close call and actually fell, but was saved by his harness. I guess his camera gear wasn't so lucky. I've been watching a lot of hunting shows lately, just getting my fix so to speak. One thing that really sticks out to me, is the lack of safety gear in one very important situation... climbing into the stand. Now, I believe its universally known that the majority of treestand accidents hapepn when climbing into or out of hang on stands. Every single show I watched showed hunters climbing up sticks without being tied off and then later shown being attached to the tree.

For my personal use, I am primarily a climber guy as here in the PA hardwoods I have plenty of climbable trees so this isn't an issue as I just attach myself at the base of the tree and stay attached until I reach the ground again.

My question is this. Why hasn't there been more attention given to climbing in and out of stands? There is a very simply solution to this, lifelines. It just baffles me how shows and even on here, we preach attaching ourselves to the tree, but its mostly done once in the treestand, not during the time when most accidents occur. I understand the maintaining three points of contact while climbing, taking your time, etc. But the reality is, stuff happens.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

2. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I saw the same thing with the HB guy. Personally, I currently use a climber when I get into a tree. But I still have my Hunter Safety System attached to the tree from the moment I get on at the bottom, through the climb and hunt, and until I am safely back on the ground. I have asked for the HSS Lifeline for Christmas because I want the extra safety beyond the standard vest set up.

I am with you, the majority of shows need to emphasize the safety more. Maybe all the average joes will catch on if more TV hunters start doing it. I am glad that the Bow Hunt or Die crew emphasizes it so much. It should be a no brainer for everyone. Killing a deer is not worth risking serious injury or death.

3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have a lifeline on every stand but most have a hook to latch to before stepping onto. Next year all of them will have that minimum while I'd love to have lifelines done as well.

4. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I hear lifelines being mentioned on here quite a bit. I think part of the problem with the lifeline is the run and gun craze taking over.

When I hung my lone wolf all I had was the lineman's strap. Once I got the last stick secured I climbed another step up and attached the tree tether/prussic knot to the tree and then attached my harness before hanging the stand.

I felt secure with the linemans strap but I know it isn't a fall arrest system. But there's no way to really use a lifeline with one and done set ups. It's not as easy to attach and slide the prussic knot line up the tree like it is with a normal climber.

5. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just got into my only stand with a lifeline. Wish I had it in all of them. Next year. I will. It's so much easier and safer if it's a permanent stand location. Where I don't have lifelines I keep a tree strap where I can hook to it before I make the transfer from steps to stand and vice versa. I too find it hard to believe the hunting shows don't all have lifelines to use. Figures that would be included in the sponsorship somehow. I don't know how all that works though. Would be nice if they did a thing with lifelines like they do harnesses. One comes with every stand you buy. I have decided that whenever I buy a stand from here on I'm just going to order one with it. Just figure it into the cost of the stand.

Run and gunning is a bit harder to do safely. No chance for the life line and it's just up to you to deal with the overhead treestrap and the linemans belt at the same time. I'll be honest I usually just roll with the linemans belt and make sure I can hook up before transferring. Not ideal but still better than nothing at all.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  6. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I always just climb up with my linemans and then clip on to the tree strap.

7. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Question ....

I hunt a pre-hung stand very seldom, a majority is almost run and gun with the lone wolfs. Do you guys still use lifelines for situations like that?

8. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I do sometimes, I only have a couple and their on my wife's sets. Most of the time I just + linemans+ tree strap- linemans.

9. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Lifeline on every tree stand I hunt. I don't care if they were a $100 a piece, I would wash cars or rake leaves to get them. My life is worth it!
    Now, when I am hanging ladder sticks or mobile sticks, the first thing I do is attach my Lineman's belt. Then I attach the Lifeline once I reach the height I am going to hang the stand. I then connect to the lifeline and continue to hang my stand. I think the problem for most mobile hunters is having to take the lifeline down prior to exiting the stand. Especially if they are not going to hunt that tree again. To do this will take time and will more than likely alert deer to their presence in the area. This can be challenging in the dark and should/will require the use of a Lineman's belt to remove the sticks as they descend. Many want to sneak out and not let deer know they are there. To do this in many cases, hunters will climb down not being attached. Think about it? A guy is packing in(sticks and a loc-on) to find a good spot to hunt. He finds a good tree and starts his climb. MOST HUNTERS, attach a stick to the tree and start to climb. Adding sticks as they climb. Once they are at the top, they attach the stand to the tree and climb in. Most don't even use a Lineman's belt to hang the sticks! Crazy but TRUE! Watch some videos on Youtube and you will see what I mean! It may be cumbersome and the lifeline can be bulky, but I don't take chances. Ask a hunter you know, that has a mobile setup (sticks and loc-on) how they get their stand out of the tree in the dark? Think about it? To be safe, the hunter has to exit the stand and attach his lineman's belt while holding on to the tree or sticks. (You can't attach the Lineman's belt while standing in the stand. It will get in the way when trying to climb down to the sticks and or when you attempt to fold the stand for removal from the tree.) So, they attach the Lineman's belt and then disconnect from the Lifeline, pull it up through the loop and drop it to the ground. Now he can fold and remove the stand and put it on his back. Then use the lineman's belt to remove the sticks as he descends. But, the question is, how many hunters take the extra time and go about it this way, to remain safe? I do!! Can you get away with it? Of course! Many do for a longtime. Sadly, some don't! Take time and be safe! If it means I alert deer of my presence, oh well. At least I am home safe and able to hunt again the next time! Be Safe At All Times Guys and NEVER Take Chances!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  10. BH.COM-CLINTON

BH.COM-CLINTON BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I believe 100 percent in life lines. I have one in every tree stand on every farm that I hunt. They are worth their weight in gold. They make it so easy when you get to the tree and you never have to worry about not going home to momma and the kids. We have had one hell of a year in our are with people falling out of trees. It tears me up every time that I hear someone else fell.

I agree that hunting shows need to show more footage using the lifelines. I believe its like 80% of tree stands accidents happen while climbing into or out of a stand. The industry needs to do a better job as a whole on educating the public on the use of lifelines.

11. muzzyman88

Dislikes Received:
    This is surprising to me, that so many here believe in and use them as much as possible, but many of the pro's on TV do not, or they just don't show it. I even saw a show the other day, can't remmeber which, but a prominent show, that the guy was using limbs on the tree as footsteps into his stand. I believe most agree thats a big no no.

Ladder stands are about the only type of stand that I can think of that using a lifeline would be problematic. Of course by the numbers, ladders account for very few accidents.

BH.COM-CLINTON, you're correct about the majority of the accidents happening while climbing up or down. I know for me, thats usually the most "hairy" time. Once I'm in the stand, sure things could happen, but its not as likely. Regardless of what we all think, shimmying up the side of a tree on little foot pegs at 5AM is not a natural thing for a human being.

I'm also surprised that the manufacturers haven't taken any kind of lead on this. I realize the expense of lifelines compared to just a safety strap comes into play. However, I'd like to know how many folks who buy a stand use the included cheapy harness as opposed to buying a better one to begin with. I get the idea of including them to encourage their use, but I just don't know how many use the one included. I wonder if on hang on stands, if they included a lifeline instead of the harness, more people would use it.

12. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have noticed that alot also with hunting shows. I can't really get to critical of it though because I'm never hooked up until I get into the stand. That includes hunting or hanging stands, and don't wear anything when I use my ladder stand. Definitely not the smartest practice but it is what it is.

13. ruteger

ruteger Guest

-

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2020
  14. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Idk really, don't have any good reason not to other than just never picked any up. I guess because I feel relatively safe climbing in and out and take the time to make sure everything is as safe as possible, without using one, in all my stands. Replace straps often with ratchet straps, only use the ladder sections that actually look like a ladder not just the staggered type.

Honestly no good reason though.

15. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a lifeline in almost all of my stand sets. The one's I don't, I don't even hunt anymore. The lifelines just make everything so simple and safe.

I think Midwest Whitetail requires all of their staff to use them.

16. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Because they can edit that part out of the segment....you are absolutely correct in your thought. Guess not many of them are sponsored by HSS....thus no need to advertise a specific manufacturer's product, and they certainly won't waste air time to advertise a home-made product.

17. muzzyman88

Dislikes Received:
    That may be true, but a lot of shows will show that few seconds of climbing into the tree. Most of which you see does not feature a lifeline. My point is, they don't seem to use them much and/or talk about them on shows.

18. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Over half of the people I've seen use a life line don't even use it correctly, going up and down with their hand wrapped around the knot.
    I use a muddy tree rope because I can set it up with one hand before I transition from ladder to stand.

19. Rich71

Rich71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have one on each of my stands and insist that anyone who wants to hunt my stand have a harness and use the line. I also emphansize the imortance of moving the knot and letting go until you move it again. If you are holding the knot and fall you can add rope burn to your list of injuries.

20. ruteger

ruteger Guest

-

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2020