Asking landowners for permission to hunt

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by axtell343, Dec 8, 2014.

1. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am getting into coyote hunting and I am looking for a good spot to bag some yotes! Ive been told one of the best ways to get a hunting spot is just go to some of the local farmhouses and ask. So my question is, when asking for permission to hunt on other peoples' property, what do you guys/girls say? What should my opening line be?

"Hi I am -blank- I am a hunter and I was wondering if you would let me hunt -blank- on your property?" If you live close by then you could add "I live in -blank- township" or whatever.

So how do you approach asking for permission?

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Tell them you want to take care of their coyote problem at no charge, you will even haul them away.

3. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Find several farms that present good opportunities. Get the address and name off the mail box while scouting these out.

Look the name up and get a phone number...

Call first... make sure its at a time that should be acceptable to most people getting calls from a stranger. No dinner time calls, early morning or late evening calls.

Most farmers are so busy that they don't have time for chit chat. Keep it brief and friendly. Make a short introduction of your name and where you live... mention you have noticed quiet a few coyotes running their ground and wondered if anyone helped in controlling them.

Then shut up and listen. The first line out of their mouth will tell you what to say next.

If hostile then thank them for their time and move on.
    If hesitant ask them if you called at a bad time and if another time might be better to discuss.. If they agree to another time have them set a time for the call and make sure to call on the agreed time.
    If they show interest now is the time to sell your self.. And I mean sell your self as in offering to help with some chores for the right to hunt. Selling as in how you promise to respect any and all rules they may have regarding use rights of their land.
    If they show distress on liability of you hunting while talking offer to get liability insurance ( cost like 14-18 cents an acre these days for a million dollars worth)

You walk around in some parts of the country now days and knock on doors you maybe surprised how often you are met by an armed dweller!

4. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Go to your county records most are on line these days Find out who owns the ground first you want to access, start from there. Less chance you might meet the guy giving access to just anyone that turns out DONT own it anyways. I am the armed guy.